Monday, October 14, 2013

Moulding. It's What's For Dinner.



Every time I sit in my family room and play Zuma or Plants vs. Zombies, I think to myself,


"Self, I want a newel post."

Was it a 90's thing to do everything in drywall?  I think it was. 

Since I'm totally not up for figuring out how to remove that wall, let's do the next best thing, shall we? 

Stole this idea from my brother and sister in law's fabulous house.  (Note: theirs is better.)


Grabbed a 1x6 of MDF I had in stock out in the garage and routed it,

to look like so.

And I looked like so.


Because it is a messy job, but someone's gotta do it.

I, too, believe that my handrails should be updated.  But this is 31 days of moulding, not 31 days of Sand 'N Stain, no matter how much that title has a ring to it.

Do you know what this needs?  It needs to be more beefy.  It needs beef.

Added some leftover trim to the bottom to give it a thicker appearance.


We were watching My Little Pony.  You really missed out.


So!  I like it.  I think it could be even beefier, though.  I reserve the right to beef it up later.

6 comments:

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

Oh yes yes yes! It looks so great Mandi. And your stairs still look fab with the runner!!

Janice said...

1. kuddos to you for posting every day! I'm so impressed.

2. That is exactly what I need to do on my railing/half-wall thingy.

3. My Little Pony makes me want to slam my head into a wall. I remember them as being sort of calm from my own childhood. Now they're hyper and squealy. Like inviting 12 junior high girls into your house and feeding them powdered sugar.

Daddy-O said...

I love it! It turned out better than I could have imagined! Good work!

Samantha said...

Some faux panelling on the wall underneath wouldn't go amiss you know....

(Fanelling? faunelling?)

Jasi said...

It looks fantastic! I would add a smooth sort of roundish bit to the top sometime to match the handrail more. But that's me, I like lots of detail. AND I love MLP. Pinkie Pie! When my daughter watches it, I'm totally thrown back 20 (or so, ahem) years to when I was combing their hair and having pony parties. So cute!

Connie @ Measured by the Heart said...

Omg I have this exact same dry wall stair case thing and I hate it! How do you always know exactly what I need? P.s. I have a hilarious my little pony story to tell you sometime.