Monday, October 28, 2013

Mandi's Main Thrill In Life Is A Makeover.


"Cher's main thrill in life is a makeover, it gives her a sense of control in a world full of chaos."
 
Name that totally awesome movie.
 
When my awesome friend texted me with this idea to add moulding to her daughter's room, and then, she added on the end of the text,
 
"to surprise the hubby before he gets home". . .
 
I was totally hooked.  People, I cannot resist a surprise.  If you ever want me to do something for you?  Add "it's a surprise!" on the end.
 
"Will you babysit my kids for 2 weeks so I can go on a cruise?  Oh, but all my kids wet the bed.  Oh, and they're allergic to all foods that come from the grocery store.  Oohh, and there's this scary looky rash they're sporting on their bottoms and it needs treatment every 2 hours. . .and I think my youngest has chicken pox. . .and my second youngest is going through this biting stage. . . "
 
and then they add in, "The trip's a surprise!!"
 
And then, bam.  I'm rubbing on ointment 12 times a day.


Anyways, back to the room.  This awesome friend wanted board and batten in her baby girl's room, just like her living room.
 
I should've taken a picture of her living room wall.  It's fabulous.
 
And so we got to work.
 
 
 
Well looky what we have here!  There I am.  All I can say is, I'm so glad my undies aren't showing from this angle.
 
 
What you need to know to have this look:
 

 
*This was all done with 1x3 pieces of MDF.  (And we all know 1x3 really means 3/4" by 2 and 1/2" because lumber is always rounded up.  Yep.  It's annoying, but that's how it is.)
 
*The total height on this board and batten is roughly 48" (I'm rounding up again.  So annoying).  We did 45" for the vertical slats, and then there's the piece on the top.
 
*We chose to do 18" spacing on the vertical slats, measuring from left side of slat to next slat's left side.
 
 
Then, my homegirl got to painting:
 


She chose "Elephant Skin" from Valspar (correct me if I'm wrong, Laura), and just a simple white on the bottom, and voila. 
 
 Brand new baby girl's room.  Now she gets to decorate.  Isn't it totes adorbs?

6 comments:

Samantha said...

Although it is 'totes adorbs', there's something missing....it needs something around the top of the wall where it meets the ceiling. :) I'm sure you can hook her up!

Jackie said...

Mandi, it sure is totes adorbs.

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

Totes!!!! You are such a good friend!

james and bess said...

I am ashamed to admit I had to look up the movie - you're right, though - "Clueless" is awesome. :) Love that makeover!

Bess

Mary said...

Mmmmm, I'm smacking my lips at the deliciousness. Too bad all the contractors in Arizona thought it was a good idea to put rough orange peel texture on all the walls instead of making them smooth. Kinda puts a damper on the faux board and batten method.

Leslie@leserleeslovesandhobbies said...

I knew it was Clueless, and I didn't even need to look it up. At first I thought it was a trick question because Cher was mentioned by name, but then when I read the quote, I was like "Oh yeah, the part where Dionne tells Tai that Cher loves make-overs." Yep. I love that movie. My DH thinks I'm strange because I like it.