Tuesday, September 24, 2013

This Is How It Started.

Long long ago, one night whilst in bed, it came to me.
 
Oh wait, allow us all to recollect the sleeping arrangement in my boudoir.
 
 
As always, I am on the right.
 
No. No.  Wait.  This is not completely accurate.  And I am nothing, if not accurate.
 
 
There we go. 
 
So I says to the husband, who is clearly comfortable, stretched out, and relaxed,
 
"Ya know, I just want a couch in my living room that says nothing.  Nothing at all."
 
and he's like,
 
"Huh?  Huh. . . .?."
 
Yeah.  I wanted furniture that I didn't decorate around.  I wanted furniture that decorated with me.
 
And as we know, I sold everything off.
 
Started over with the paint.  Beefed up the baseboard, added the "frown",
 
 
purchased new furniture, yaddee yadee blah blah blah,
 
and we had this before,
 

and it was Dark.  Confused.  I don't know who this was, but it wasn't me. 

 
But now we have this. 

 


And I pronounced it done.  And we can all expect the aquarium to be moved out of here in 20-never.  I've accepted it!  And you should, too.  The sooner you do, the sooner we can move on.

Behold the sofa that says "nothing".  Indeed.

 
 
 Bought it brand new for $300.  I could tell you were I bought it, but then I'd have to kill you.  Because you'd make fun of me, I just know it. 
 
 
And I do love my coffee table.  Not to state the obvious, but the top's metal.  And my kids have figured that out and stick magnets and crap to it.  At least there's one fun thing in this room.
 

Speaking of the kids, I'd like to know which one was hiding under the previous sofa and dropped two buffalo wings under there, and how another went number 1 under the settee on the other side of the room.

Because that's the only explanation for what I found when I moved everything out and began furiously steam cleaning.


(Shhhh don't tell about the scratch on the table I hide with a book-- it's how I got the smokin' hot price.)




And I've always wanted to do this--

 
 display the Daddy-o's sketches.  I just like 'em.  And I really like picture lights, too, so I had to get me one of those.

And so I've learned something about me:


 I am boring.  I like white.  I like neutrals.  I am monochromatic.

Also, I get bored easily, so this could have a sudden pop of color, anytime, anywhere, and I could get away with it.  So there's that.

16 comments:

-Lisa said...

Wow Mandi,
I truly can't get over your transformation. This looks like a designer room (minus the ocean). It is simply gorgeous. Monochromatic can be good and it can be bad. I always think it is good if your intention is to 'accessorize' throughout the year and give it pops of color. That way you only spend money on the smaller items to get a whole new look rather than re-doing the entire room every 5 years.
I am so impressed with all you have done.
Fondly-Lisa

Connie @ Measured by the Heart said...

That is my style too! Love it...and I really want to know where you got the sofa! ! Also are you allowed to paint the aquarium?

Rach said...

Wow! Looks amazing.
Those sketches are gorgeous!
The table is pretty dope too... : )
Way to go! Looks awesome!

Rach said...

Oh and the bed drawings are totally me and my husband...but add three kids in there come 5 am. Only My husbands the one on the edge...hee hee ha...oh.

Shirley Moore said...

Nope, not boring, restful. That was exactly how I felt, looking at the 'after' photo. And I do love your dad's sketches framed, awesome touch!
The only solution I have for you on the bed problem? Get a dog. Then, both of you will be sleeping on the edge, while the dog stretches out over the ENTIRE bed. Ask me how I know....

Carla said...

DANG! that looks like it's a magazine living room. I'm impressed.

Jasi said...

1. the room looks great, don't pigeonhole yourself or apologize for liking it neutral. it's awesome and it's what you want right now.
2. "pops of color" sometimes seem so formulaic and contrived. do whatever pleases you and don't worry about cookie cutter "uniqueness" (and to you people with "pops" they're awesome to, i'll tell you so on your blog).
3. please slap some trim and paint on that fish tank. then we can pretend it's built in. amen. (inspired by pw)

Kellie said...

Absolutely beautiful!!

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

Oh it came out fabulously, Mandi!! I love it's white, bright, clean, fresh, grown upness. Your dad's sketches are so perfect framed in gold and I'm crushing all over that awesome coffee table!!

David and Rebecca Campbell said...

please share where you got the couch? i need at least three couches for our new house and that is exactly my style and I have mo money to spend! I must have inexpensive couches. please share, please!

The Peytons said...

... How do you manage it with kids? Those colors would be ruined in thirty minutes at my house. Someone would waddle in there with a hand full of BBQ sauce, or paint, or sharpie, and ruin it... Tell me how you keep your kids from destroying things so that I can do them too. Pease :)

The Peytons said...

Btw, I agree with Jasi. If you're never going to move the tank, at least fix it so that it fits in, lol.

Creative Decor by Brooke said...

Mandi , I love the new look, its always fun to change things up. Especially love the coffee table.
Brooke

Creative Decor by Brooke said...

Mandi , I love the new look, its always fun to change things up. Especially love the coffee table.
Brooke

Trina Miner said...

It looks like it came straight out of a magazine and walked into your living room. And the aquarium looks good there! Really it does. Wonderful makeover! Neutrals are good...relaxing and classic.

R- said...

I love it!

I think you need to makeover the fish tank. It just needs molding...