Tuesday, July 16, 2013

What I've Been Up To.

Besides my usual family summer time squeeze-it-all-in! activities,
 
I've picked up a new little hobby for myself.  It's been on my to-do list for a decade and a freaking half. 
 
 
Okay-- not that I just didn't give it away or anything,

but I'm going to tell you something about me that you don't need to know:

I'm obsessed with music.  Like, yeah, I have my favorite bands and I'm crazy obsessed with some of them, and I can listen to the same song one thousand times and drive everyone else near me completely insane with them, yes,

and the hubs finds my play lists as odd as my personality, since there will first be a classical number, followed by Rage Against The Machine (clean edits-- this is a family blog and who do you think I am??), and then followed by a cheesy ballad, followed by like, I don't know, Vanilla Ice and then New Kids 'n everything. . .

So I'm saying it's a screwed up, random list of songs.  'S what I'm saying. 

I'm also saying that I love music, but also, that I'm strangely obsessed with the making of music.  Basically, I would love to learn how to play every instrument there is, including the bag pipes and the accordion.  Not well, but you know, I can "play" it.

Basically, if you play a string instrument, I'm pretty jealous.  Wait for me for a few years, and then we can jam.

Only nerds say "jam".

So um,

this is my 2nd attempt to learn violin.  The first one began in college, and let's just say it ended in the worst recital/performance I've ever had, EVER, and my now-husband was late and missed the whole thing, and I have never been happier about his irresponsibility/procrastination as I was right then.  Or since.

And apparently it takes me almost 15 years to get over a really bad performance.  Apparently.

Also, I realized,


that I was living through my son who's been taking orchestra.  And that's not cool. 

Also, he is really enjoying correcting me.  He considers it payback for piano lessons with me.  And I must say, it is really, ree-hee-heally annoying to be corrected and have him move my hand or shift my posture in any way. 

He showed me.  Karma.  It's a B.

So I've been taking lessons for a while.  And do you know what this is like?


This is like the older lady who went back to college to get her degree, and she's in all your generals, and she's sitting on the front row, 10 minutes early, hand up half the class, goes to every.single. study session, and gets straight A's. 

That's how I feel. You know: over-eager.

 Or, like a 60 year old who finally gets braces.  I feel old, and a little silly. 

Especially when the next student shows up for their lesson and is 20 years younger than me.

And also,

how bad am I?

Oh. . .

like, unintentional horror music.  Nails scratching down chalkboard.  Dogs are howling.  People are wincing.  My fish in the other room have gone crossed eyed.  Or their eyes are bulging.  Some are just belly up.

And I'm practicing, seriously, for like. ..


2-3 hours a day.  Yeah-- I have no life.

 In fact, I should apologize.  First to my husband, then to my children.  And the neighbors.  And their pets. And my fish, and the neighbor kids who come over, and basically anyone who walks by in a 500 ft. radius of the house.

But I'm pretty determined, so this is going to go on.   And on and on and on.

Anyhow--

I think it's kind of silly to have a music room, but not have a "place" for the instruments that apparently I'm obsessed with collecting. 


The thing about instruments: 

they are kid magnets.  So they need their place, and that place needs to be high. 

I need a good violin display idea.  People: I've googled it, I've Houzzed it, and I've Pinterested it.  I've got the Daddy-o using the noggin on it, and I haven't come up with something great, yet. 

But whatever it is, I think it should definitely include moulding.  Yes.  Moulding it is.
 

9 comments:

DressUpNotDown said...

I was learning to fiddle while I was pregnant, but haven't touched it now that the baby is out and about. Um, he just turned 1 year old! Those hours to devote to scratching out the scales and Twinkle Twinkle Little Star over and over, will have to wait until little guy isn't so dependent on Mommy! :o) Can't wait to see what y'all come up with for display/protection from the kids.

www.dressupnotdown.blogspot.com

Herb of Grace said...

Been reading for a while, first comment ever :) Long-time-violin-teacher props to you, lady! Congrats and keep up the good work! You'll never regret it!

~ Laura said...

Yay!! Good for you!! Hey, we all have our secret "thing" we wish we had done, right? I should have gotten my degree in art so now I watch painting tutorials on YouTube obsessively!! :)

Would it make any sense to create frames on the wall, like pictures, where you could place the instruments on a decorative ledge or on pegs? Like, create your own artwork with them??

Suesan Kennard said...

A few years back, I was teaching myself how to play the fiddle, complete with a book and CD that I could play along to. I was getting pretty un-horrible too and then life intervened. I like Laura's idea of pegs. That could look cool.

Whatever you do, it will be awesome.

Magen said...

I play the flute but have always wanted to learn a string instrument, like the violin or cello...would love to play the cello.

May be odd, but i like the violin where it is, maybe should have some other instruments on either side of it.

Mana said...

I tried to learn the guitar when I was 14, it didn't work out, then my boyfriend (now husband) tried to teach me guitar, he gave up for the sake of his protecting his musical ears. He did manage to teach me a very basic version of twinkle twinkle little star. He however plays Piano, drums and Guitar. He's also a computer programmer and a photographer, and sometimes his hobbies make my head hurt, because I blog and read and that's it.

Wow all that to say, I'm jealous you're learning violin and people can actually stand you for 2-3 hours a day. (Seriously, I'm tone deaf, so if it were me, someone would have stolen my violin strings by now)

Mana
Fashion and Happy Things

Lorilyn Crum said...

I'm obsessed with The Talent Code - check out their book - The Little Book of Talent - basically gives 52 tips for getting the most out of your practice.

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

SO psyched for you (anyone else still use that word?) that you are pursuing this instrument again!!! I can't wait for the future video you imbed here of you and your little buddy playing together!!! You are so awesome!!!!!
(PS I have been that returning student, in the front row with sharpened pencils, a total dork in my eager-beaverness!)

Clarachk said...

I am thinking about the construction of our metal floor (guitar) stands. I would fix finials right to the wall or some pretty (singular) wooden pegs like to hang towels and stuff on... but pretty. (Hey, next you might start TURNING your OWN finials, LOL). So, picture a square on the wall. The bottom of the square would have two large-ish finials to "sit" the violin base in. This way, it doesn't rock side to side. At the top of the square, you put two smaller finials closer together to hold the neck right under the tuning "pins". Make sure the bottom finials stick out of the wall a bit more then the top ones. This way, your violin will lean back slightly and not be liabe to topple of the wall when you and your kids are running about the music rooms like crazy people!