Sunday, June 2, 2013

Thanks A Bum.

Thanks for talking about my bum with me. 
 
Now I feel like the dork who just fished for compliments on her derriere, so it shan't happen again. 
 
Anyways!
 
Wanna know what I did yesterday?  Do ya?  DO YA?
 
Well, first off, join me again in the laundry room. 
(Not the laundry room again, for the love!)
 
 
I am this close to starting a little project that involves my strawberry crates, FINALLY, (I had to think it all through; these things take time),

(Strawberry crates!  Or is it. . .??)
 

and I'm pretty darned excited. How excited?

As excited as a fat boy with a chocolate sundae, excited.
 
You know what else this room needs?  A huge, fabulously vintage chandy.  But that requires the hubs, because I don't do electrical.  (And man do I really need to learn.)

(like so)
 
Source: houzz.com via Jeanne on Pinterest
 
Now-- not to get off topic or anything, but I swear I try never to give my hubby a list of things to do.  Heck- never a list, and usually never even one to-do.  Cross my heart and hope to die. 

But I have found, when I do need a little teensy weensy favor (that usually involves electrical and really annoying lighting fixtures that makes my husband sweat and want to kill someone), the trick is. . . wait for it. . .
 
ask waaaaaay ahead of time.  Like, two months ahead of time.  Or more if ya can. 
 
("Hey-- would you be willing to like, change out that big ole ugly fluorescent tube light fixture one day?")
 
"One day" is soooo noncommittal.  No husband's gonna tell you no.  Unless that husband sucks.
 
Then, when the day comes, it's no surprise.  He can't feign the whole, "What?  NOW?"  Dealy-o. 
 
This is not manipulation.  This is simply logical.  To my two male readers, would you agree?

Someone keep me on topic.

Anyhow- - -

regard the garage door.  Also known as, "The door to the garage".


So.  It's dirty.  It has mismatched hardware finishes.  It's metalicious. 

The top arrow draws your attention to the very high lock that continues to assure that little kids don't let themselves out of the house, unbeknownst to mom, while she showers.

 
And the bottom arrow points out the sawdust.  Because this is the garage door.  Or, "Le Par De Le Garage", which it also goes by, when one is feeling fancy.

Clearly, I've already started drawing on this door, so you know what I'm about to do, here.

I am grounded from visiting a Lowe's or Home Depot for any non-emergencies for the month of June (more on that later), and so I had to get a little creative, and will be getting quite creative for the rest of this month. 

And so, in order to obtain the small fancy moulding I wanted, I headed out to the garage, ran a piece of pine through the router on both sides, then ran that through the table saw, flipped it over and ran the other side through again, and then repeated all those steps 3 more times to have these:


free mini-moulding strips.

I laugh that I even bothered with the painters tape, because it couldn't hold up a post-it.


 But I don't laugh that I can see nasty kid fingerprints on the wall next to the door.  (runs off-- grabs rag.  Furiously wipes wall.)

A little paint and. . . .


Better.  Better?  Better.  I would love to paint this in a fun color, but as I am grounded from Lowe's, it's a job for another day. 

8 comments:

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

That looks great, Mandi! Almost as good as your bum. ; ) I will have to ask my husband if he will do this for me for our garage door "one day", because I don't use the power tools {I hope to die with all my fingers intact}, plus our table saw is stored in the daughter's garage.

Elisha Albretsen @ Pneumatic Addict Furniture said...

So much prettier! What happened to the lock at the top of the door? I don't see it in the final pic. We have the same issue in our house. In fact, my motivation for buying a security lock came after exiting the shower, noticing the front door swinging open, and then chasing my boys down the street screaming, dripping wet, and wearing nothing but a towel. It may just be the angle of the photo, but I'm pretty sure if we had a wall or any scale-able object close to the door, my prisoners would be climbing it and devising a sophisticated plan to reach the lock within the first day.

Our happy poor life said...

First....LOL, second I am so glad I am not the only one grounded from a home depot or Lowes except for work purposes. Actually I have been grounded from doing anything new to our Rental home. Yeah, Good luck on that one hubby. Nice job on the door or as I usually call projects like these, feeding my enter creativity. Kudos. And thanks for not making It awkward again with bum picks. KIDDING.

Patty said...

Great job on the door. It does tickle me that you use power tools(SCARY) but are afraid of changing light fixtures out. That one isn't near as scary as power tools to me.
P.S. Don't worry about your cute bum. Its all behind you now. hehehe

Hippymom83 said...

Whenever my mom wants my dad to do some little chore like that, all she has to do is say, "John, I need to borrow a screwdriver and a wrench". To which he will say, "what do you want those for?". At which point she will say, "to change out this light fixture". To which he will say, "Just a minute [exasperated tone and a sigh]". And then he will proceed to fetch the required tools and a ladder, and then he will do the work himself because HEAVEN FORBID he should have to share his tools with ANYONE!!! And then the job is done, Mom is happy, and Dad doesn't feel like she's bossing him around because she never actually asked him DO the job, she just asked to borrow the TOOLS for the job. Everyone is happy in the end. [and No, Dad hasn't figured out yet that he's being manipulated....25 years and counting] ;)

SueAnn Lommler said...

Grounded are ya? Ha! I totally understand!
Your garage door looks great by the way...and a fun paint color would be cool! How long you grounded? Ha!
Hugs
SueAnn

Libby said...

I like it! Gives a little class to the laundry room. I knew you'd find room for more trim. How about some of that blue paint from the other door? Or check out the local toxic drop-off site for paint?

I know about locking kids in...my 3rd son made Houdini look like an amateur when he was a toddler (can we say bif nikid in traffic?) but #1 son had figured out how to unhook the screen door with a plastic log from his Tonka logging truck as 3yr old. (the hook was by the top of the door). Kids! #1 has 3 kids and the escape artist will be having his own sometime within the next couple of years.

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

Weird how none of these posts are coming up on my blog……hmmmmmmmmmmm. Gotta check into that. Okay where do I begin. You can fish for compliments about your butt anytime. That's why you have friends that are girls. We getcha. And……it's amazing what a bit of trim can do for a door! Love it.