Sunday, June 9, 2013

Not-So Dumb Crap.

It's no secret that I've done a lot of dumb crap to this house.
 
You know what my 2 of my top fave projects have in common, though?
 
(Say helloooo to my spice shelves)
 
 
(and howdy to the bathroom built-in--man I love this thing.  Haven't stumbled in the dark searching for a Tums in the middle of the night since).
 
 
Yes, friends, we're talking cutting out drywall!  Apparently one of my favorite past times!
 
 
Seriously-- what is it with me and built-ins??
 
Incidentally,
 
 
when I first saw this built-in plate rack from KariAnne at Thistlewood Farm, (oh my gosh, people-- go drool over her house.  Go ahead.  I'll wait.  Okay I'm done waiting.) I nearly ran out of the house, drove off screeching to Lowe's,  in my pajamas, and put one in my house, because I love it that much.
 
And then I realized I don't have even one wall for this.  Another time, then. 
 
Main point:  Built-ins.  I like 'em.
 
So, when I saw this in BH&G this month:
 
 
Over over-- to the right--
 
I immediately ripped this right out of the mag, and held it close to my heart.  It was twoo wuv.  I was smitten.  I was in deep smit.
 
Remember my "command center" that's only a few months old and that has totally helped me contain the paper crap that comes in this house?
 
 
 
Why didn't I do a built-in instead??  Why???
 
 
I'll show you why.  Consider everything that is around this command center of mine, and you be the judge. 
 
 
 
Camera 1.
 

 
 
Camera 2.  ("Camera 1.  Camera 2.  Camera 1- Camera 2." name that movie)
 
 
 
And finally, the final angle.  Finally.
 
 
 
 
 
So. . . I'm saying there's a lot going on around these parts.  There's a lot of built-in action, already.  Maybe it's too much.
 
 
And yet. . . maybe it isn't??  Maybe I'm supposed to keep to the code, and this should, nay, this must be a built-in??  Maybe this will make the whole area more uniform?  Blend better?  Become as one?
 
 
Help me decide.  But just know that I've already found the studs, and I've drawn up plans and I have my heart set on it thanks so much.
 

15 comments:

Ashlee @ I'm Topsy Turvy said...

I LOVE that plate rack, have had it pinned for awhile... if only I had a wall (while were at it a second toilet would be nice, oh and a bathtub...) next house for sure!

Mana said...

Do it, if you hate it you can always patch it and dare I say it, paint it to cover it up. But I say DO IT!

Samantha said...

Do it. I double dare you.

Mrs. H said...

Go for it!

Jason From Tennessee said...

I have been "jonesing" for a built-in since I was first turned on to your blog. I have so many places that are calling me name..."Jason... please start tearing me apart...". I think I am finally getting the courage up. I can't even begin to express how much I enjoy your blog. I am just a gay hillbilly from Tennessee who enjoys your ideas and fearlessness to just go and tear something apart. You are an inspiration.
Thanks for all the ideas,
Jason

SueAnn Lommler said...

Shall I dare?? Oh hell...I dare!!
Go For It...
Hugs
SueAnn

-Lisa said...

It is already a fairly 'busy' work horse area. I would go for it, if anything it would streamline it. I am sure you will do a great job too!
Fondly-Lisa

1914house said...

Wayne's World! I think a built-in would simplify the look and be more consistent. So go for it.

RachelK said...

Do it! I love it! I was sad, because I thought when I get a brand new house, I wouldn't get fun projects to do anymore, but this is changing my mind!

Bliss said...

I say you can never have too many built-ins.

Bliss

Michelle Wilkes said...

Should I be the only one to say "leave it?" nay- go for it!

Misty said...

I say do it, but...at my house!!! :)

Kerrie Williams said...

Wayne's World!

Hippymom83 said...

Obviously, since I'm several days late reading this post, I've already been beaten to the punch, but here it is anyway...............WAYNE'S WORLD, WAYNE'S WORLD, PARTY TIME, EXCELLENT! Love that movie!

And I TOTALLY love that built in idea! You have probably already finished it by now, so I'm on pins and needles waiting to see your finished project!! :) And I'd love to see a copy of the blue prints you've come up with for it. Wink, wink....nudge, nudge... ;)

Liz C. said...

I say DOO EEEET; I think you'll find the command center stuff tucked into a built-in makes that angle you took the last photo from look so much cleaner & matchy-nice! (come on. you know that's a thing.)

PS: Wayne's World. PARTY TIME. EXCELLENT.