Thursday, May 23, 2013

This Project Is Brought To You By The Number 1, and The Letter C. For Crazy.

You know what the silver lining is when completing a torturous, hard project?
 
It makes everything else seem totally easy and fun.  And I wanted to get back up on the horse and do something fun.
 
So,
 
I've had this idea in my head for about a year.  It involves switching out my regular ole panel closet door with a boring, flat door.
 
 
Isn't this looking pretty boss so far?  
 
I asked around the fam to see if someone had a flat door for me, and since everyone knows their sister/daughter/wife is pretty much cray-cray, no one even asked why.  My awesome bro just dropped this bad boy off and said you're welcome.
 
Thanks, Bro-chacho.
 
So this makes. . . 1,2,3,4. . . 7.  7 doors I've now taken off in this house that have ended up in the garage in a pile.  My husband is a saint.
 
I don't have a clue why I've had to remove and replace doors as much as I have, but I swear I'm a pro at it by myself, now.  Chiseling out the spot for the hinges though: that totally bites.  Rather chew broken glass.
 
So I hung this thing, cleaned 'er up, drew crap all over it,
 
 
and then I got all Bob Ross on this thing.  "Let's get crazy".  "Because in our world, he needs a little friend. . . "
 
Checked my stock out in the garage, and just started slapping moulding down here and there.  My moulding stock should TOTALLY be depleted by now, shouldn't it?  You'd like to think that wouldn't you?
 
Au contraire, mon frere.
 
I wasn't even sure what I was going for here-- I think I was kind of going for this look, found here.
 
 
And I came up with this:
 
 
And I had to stand back.  Frame with thumb and forefingers.  Pause.  Change angles. 
 

"Yes", I said.  I like it.


Although I just decided I might not be done here-- perhaps some small crown around the mirror would balance it all out very nicely. 
 
But while I've got ya, and while I haven't put on the door knob yet--
 
I'm never afraid to take down doors, pull up flooring, or cut in to drywall,
 
but when it comes to paint colors I freak.  Could this be cool in some sort of fun, crazy, un-Mandi-like accent color?  A girl needs to know!  I can be fun sometimes!  Really!
 
Color suggestions are much obliged.
 

13 comments:

Beth @ Sawdust and Embryos said...

Mint! Go with mint!

Nicole Resweber said...

Ditto the mint. It'll offset nice with the taupe. OR! Yellow.

Lori said...

Blackish

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

You.complete.me. It's awesome!! Yes to a crazy fun color, but considering how you loathe painting, go look in your closet at colors you wear the most besides black and white and then paint it that - a color you really really like to see yourself in…..since you'll be checkin' yourself out all that time in that fab door!

Ashlee @ I'm Topsy Turvy said...

coral, or turquoise or lavender... or a dark plum (so my hair doesn't clash when I look into it when you finally have me over to embrace our bestfriendness)

Jen said...

I am AMAZED at what you are able to do with your stock pile! This is so fetchin' awesome! I think you should go with the turquoise-y blue like the picture you posted. That color would totally rock with the color of your walls. OR, you could be totally untrendy like myself and do an AWESOME, BOLD red, which would also look FAB with your walls! :) I LOVE RED! I just do. BTW.....your archway in the entry way is the cat's freaking meow!!!

P.S. I totally wasn't kidding about the paint job I promised to do! You know where I live!!! You have my email!!!! And if I had a phone that I could text on, you'd have that, too! ;)

Mana said...

I'd go with a nice Parisian blue since that's the effect get, and add the crown to the mirror because you know you want to.

jasi said...

your zany obsession with trim molding is becoming my new found obsession with trim molding. i'm SO impressed with what you've done. we have a new build with very little trim. i'd love to know more about how you do this stuff! can you show more basic tutorials and videos? what tools do you use? how easy is it for beginners? we all want a little more trim in our lives.

Libby said...

A brilliant red. And if it didn't clash I'd go with a bright yellow.

You do what I only think of doing.

Cindy said...

Copper patina! Rust Oleum has a copper spray, Google some ways to patina it :-)

Jami said...

Tiffany Blue. ;)

Lorilyn Crum said...

Ooo colors! Let's see, so I know you said your walls were Wendy's Frosty color, so I'm trying to think what would go well with that although it's hard to pick up the correct undertones from the picture... I just remembered I'm not very at getting crazy with colors either. Okay I can do this - if you have some purple undertones, a green would go well with that (I'm just basing that on the color wheel I really have no clue) But the idea of mint intrigues me, but I would make it probably a soft mint - maybe spring mint or something by BM? It looked nice on my computer screen at least :) Since I'm off school for a month a I really need to build some crap - you will be my inspiration

DressUpNotDown said...

I like Ashley @ Topsy Turvy's suggestion of a dark plum!!! Oh and yes, go with your gut and add some more trim. :o)

www.dressupnotdown.blogspot.com