Monday, May 6, 2013

Moms Who Eat Their Feelings, Part 3.

Let's talk food.
 
Man, oh man. . . I love talking about food. . .
 
you know what's better than just talking about food?  Eating something good while we talk about food.  Grasshopper cookies opened?  Great.  Let's do this.
 
So I have cooked a lot, lately.  Like, a lot a lot.  More than Lloyd likes Mary, a lot.  Please allow me to share the goods. 
 
 Oh!  But first, I really need to clarify:  my TRIED & TRUE Pinterest board is what you want to follow, as opposed to my "Reasons Why I Jiggle" board, because the latter contains the stuff I am going to try.  TRIED & TRUE is stuff I tried. . . and loved.  Not just liked, loved. 
 
I'm so glad we could have this talk. 
 
So I tried this Cheesy Potato Soup on a cold night recently, and I know it's kind of not soup weather anymore (who made up this rule??),
 

but wow.  This is the best potato soup I've ever had.  It has so much flavor.  You throw in a dash of hot sauce (or two or three if you have a Jeffro in your house). . . wowie wow wow.  I cut down on the fat in it, and it was still good.

I was weary about this dish,
 
 but I thought it was so deliciously spicy and hearty, and it was super duper easy, too. 
 
 
If I was just gonna cook for myself one evening, and cook something that I preferred, (pfft when is that gonna happen?),


then I would cook this up for me, because I loved it. Totally hits the spot for me.  The hubs admitted that he doesn't care for it because apparently, he "doesn't really like teriyaki".

Wha?
I'm not sure I even know who you are anymore.

Also,
I made these chocolate mint brownies for Jace's baptism,


and they were a little extra work with the two layers of frosting, and making 'em all pretty like,


but two thumbs up, people.

Oh!  And since we're talking (and eating) dessert, (dusts off a row of grasshoppers),


I love these lemon cookies.  Because I love lemon.  (Note: leave out the oil in the icing.  No one needs oil in their icing.)

I would also like to take this opportunity to say that I probably won't ever post my own recipe to the blog, because some people scare me.  I totally TOTALLY get being frustrated when you tried someones "best ever!" recipe and then it sucked and you wasted time and money and ordered pizza or had cereal for dinner, and I actually really appreciate a review to warn people.  I get that, BUT

"Can you please alter this recipe to fit the nutritional needs for my lactose-intolerant cat before 5 pm EST?"

OR

"I tried this recipe, and it called for chicken but I didn't have any, so I substituted it with anchovies, and it called for heavy cream, but I didn't have any of that, so I substituted orange juice, and it came out SICK.  This recipe is awful, and I want your head on a platter!"

People!

?. 

Okay, enough of that.  But let's still talk about food.

I've mentioned before that I have this weird thing I do--

I feel the need to greet my children at the door when they come home from school.  I also feel the need to have an after school snack whipped up for them.  In my head, it makes them feel loved.  Comforted.  Welcomed.

Don't be annoyed with me-- I have to make up somehow for all the millions of other subpar parenting crap I pull.

So,

I've found that after school snacks are very similar to cooking dinner.  If you have a plan, you don't mind it.  If you can't figure out what to cook, then it's a really sucky chore.  I think this e-card sums up my feelings nicely.



Yep.  Hit the nail right on the head.

So allow me to give you my after school snack list!  Would you?

Just know, that Fridays are thee most awesome day of the week (Fridays rock my world), and so I believe the weekend should be rung in with a sweet treat.


Caramel apples, any kind of cookie, a malt, Italian cream sodas, tarts, jell-o, little individual cakes,


(there's always room for jell-o)

these were really fun (dipped pretzel rods-- hehehe she said 'rod') for the kids to come home to.


Sigh.  I love Fridays.  The first 5 days after the weekend are always the hardest.

But on those other hard days, I try to be all "healthy" mom. 

Hot dogs are healthy, aren't they?



Ooh, gah.  I have to say, I have always loved hot dogs, and you couldn't say anything bad about them to make me not love them. . .

but I had a bad one recently, and I am sitting here feeling the chunks rise. 
(oooh gosh ew.)

Oh!  And guess what I stole from the parental units' house?!?

The TATER TWISTER!  (Hey Mom and Dad I have your Tater Twister.  How old is this thing??).


This thing has been fun.


Boing.  ("Annie Herman, Boy-yoy-yoing."  name that movie.)


Allow me to give you our top 10:

1.  Cheese 'n crackers (how in the world can you go wrong with cheese 'n crackers?)
2.  yogurt parfaits (little granola sprinkled on top. . .)
3.  fruit salad
4.  Apples 'n this dip
5.  Peanut butter apple sandwiches

Source: babble.com via Mandi on Pinterest

6.  Tuna sandwiches with a pickle on the side
7.  muffins
8.  nachos (these are . . .um. . . healthy nachos)
9.  right-outta-the-oven rolls
10.  crepes (fruity crepes)


And finally,

I tried to make this once for my butt munches. 


They guessed that my creation was "A parachute, right?!?". 

Nailed it.

11 comments:

Libby said...

Hahaha we were just talking about those recipe reviewers who change the recipe so much it doesn't resemble the original then complain it sucks!

I never really thought about the after school snack being a "make up for the Mother of the Year-NOT!" moments, but it does work-brownie points all real moms need.

You give your kiddos a house full of molding that their mom created...what more is needed?

Lisa Tibbs said...

I have recently started making banana roll ups...I like calling them banana hot dogs-- my kids and their friends request them constantly.

Spread peanut butter on bread, drizzle w honey, wrap around a banana half. Add a sprinkle of ground flax seeds and/ or wheat germ for extra nutrition!

Lisa Tibbs said...

I have recently started making banana roll ups...I like calling them banana hot dogs-- my kids and their friends request them constantly.

Spread peanut butter on bread, drizzle w honey, wrap around a banana half. Add a sprinkle of ground flax seeds and/ or wheat germ for extra nutrition!

Suesan Kennard said...

Look at you! All domestic and Mother-of-the-Yeary. My kids get Hot Pockets and/or granola bars if they are lucky. I will check out that potato soup recipe. That looks yumm-o.

Patty said...

I want to be your neighbor. I just found out after 35+ years that MY husband doesn't like teriyaki,either. And I love the punch in the face, yep. I'll be back tomorrow to see whats up.

Cindy said...

You are so awesomely funny!

Cindy

Jackie said...

Not to self: remember to make time for cool afterschool snacks on my non-working days for my new kindergartener.
You are an awesome mom.

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

I love all these fun ideas. You are mama of the year Mandi Tremayne!! Even though my butt-munches are getting up there in age (14, and turning 13 and 11 this month - what??) I still like to make them fun snacks now and again. That tater twister is so awesome!!! I need one of those! And the frosted brownies - yes please.

Kimbo West said...

dude. my parents had a tater twister. i'm so going and stealing it.

Evelyn said...

I love you more after reading this post. Thank you SO MUCH for always sharing the pinterest recipes that you've tried and loved. Also, I am impressed with your after school snacks. And when I made the palm trees for my kids, I made them put it together themselves, and then they couldn't judge how it looked. Totally worked too!

Mary said...

If you love hot dogs, you MUST, simply must make some
homemade pretzel dogs. You're welcome.