Sunday, March 17, 2013

I'm So Excited. And I Just Can't Hide It.

I've heard a lot of bloggers lately comment about how they've finally found their decorating "style", and I find it all velly, velly intellesting.
 
Wanna know what my style is?  I thought I knew before, but I can truly pinpoint what kind of style screams "OH MY HECK I HAVE TO LIVE IN THAT HOUSE RIGHT NOW". 
 

 
Anything like this.  If it's covered in moulding, 'specially box moulding, I'm gonna love it.

(p.s., the show's really good, too.)
 
 
Anyhow, I've had a pinterest board dedicated to entryways.  I have wanted to beef up my entryway with moulding for-evar
 
If we've been friends a while, you know this caught my eye:
 
Source: bing.com via Mandi on Pinterest

and then of course THIS: 
 
Source: houzz.com via Mandi on Pinterest
 
oooh goodness this just speaks to my soul.  I want this.  Must.have.this. . .
 
Here's the thing:
 

 
(pre-move in entryway picture) 
 
I've been pondering, planning, and discussing how to do a fabulous entry with beams for almost 2 years, now.  The beams: it's my hang-up.  I find it daunting-- how do I hang them?  Joists are hard to find and I hate standing on a ladder, running the stupid stud finder along a textured ceiling getting crap in my eyes and hair. . .
 
And then I decided:
 
phases.  Phases!  This project can be done in phases.  One part gets done, looks complete, and no one's the wiser! Plus the Daddy-o told me he knew exactly how I could get that beam look up there and it involves plywood and we all know that's my favorite thing, so I decided to gird up my loins and get all up on this.
 
Headed out to the fridge.  That's what Thing 4 calls the garage: "the fridge".  I like this new name.  And speaking of the fridge!

My awesome 90's boombox I've had forever stopped reading my CD's for NO APPARENT REASON!
 


Gosh.
 
Let me first just say, this project was massively cut-intensive.  And this is only phase 1. 
 
I took all these 1-by-whatever orphans I had lying around (seriously- one of them is a piece broken off from a bigger piece and the longer one I ripped on the saw with too deep an angle rendering it previously unusable),
 
and ripped them to a good 1x3 size.  Then, I routed 'em all.
 
And I needed some 1x2.  And I knew JUST where to get it. 

From here. (Project gone way wrong.)
 
 

Heheheh.  Heh.  Heh.
 


And they all got routed.  And sawdust was everywhere.  And I tracked it in inside.  And it was a beautiful thing.
 
But just this once.
 
This is the point when I was like "oh crap I think I've made a big mistake. . . how much time before the hubs gets home??. . . "
 
 

This is where I tell you how much I enjoy using my quarter inch plywood.  One, it's as thin as most baseboards, so you have no overhang and they compliment each other just so.  Two, it is DIRT cheap.  Three: I always have it on hand.  Always. 
 
But when I got to this point, I knew it was all gonna be okay. 
 
 
More than okay.  I already loved it.  Do you see what I've done here?!?  the pieces of 1x3 I routed have become the chair rail, and the top is the tent's pieces of 1x2, routed, set on its side, and nailed into the 1x3 for support.
 
IT'S INGENIOUS!  IT'S MARVELOUS!

It was the Daddy-o's idea.   Don't expect much from me.
 
And here we have phase 1 in all it's glory:
 
 

See?!  I love it!  I'm so excited!  And every single piece I already had in the "fridge"!  I could totally leave it like this, and call it done, and no one would be the wiser. 
 
 

But I must go on.  And while I'm at it, I'm contemplating painting the front door black, too.  It all just snowballs, people.
 

16 comments:

Mel@Mellywood's Mansion said...

Love it, it looks amazing, can't wait to see what comes next. I also think of you whenever I see crown molding (hope that doesn't seem creepy). I have to admit I never think about "style" I just do whatever I like where I like so long as I can get it back to a plain white room in a day if I must. However I have also been pinning entry ways and noticed there is a real trend happening and it's bead board, I'm in love with it. If my husband comes home wearing bead board baby number 6 may be on it's way ;)

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

I love how that looks, Mandi! It really makes a difference from the before shot. I love how molding can make a big change like that.

Ann Marie Heasley said...

Do it. Paint your door black. :) Paint it, baby. You won't regret it for a second.

This looks awesome and now I'M so excited about that 1/4 plywood tip! I'm about to tackle more moulding than I've ever tackled before (which is really just painting trim..). So stoked.

gina said...

WOW! What a huge difference that made - love it!

Jami said...

I absolutely love it! I am hoping to try a little bit of this myself, so it is super helpful when I can see what pieces you used. Thanks for sharing.

Clarachk said...

I luuuurve it!! Our fixer-upper home needs perty, beefy moulding SO badly, IMHO. We have it on our dream and to-do list. Your talent and go-for-it attitude makes a girl like me drool and dream so much more than normal, LOL! I think this is a fantastic start and this certainly is acceptable and passable as "done" until you get to those beams! (I like exclamation points, LOL.) You know how to dream, dontcha!?!

I actually have a question for you (or any other commenters/readers) in regards to the painting of your moulding. My hubby put up self-made door framing last year and used cheap, pine planking. We painted it white. It looked beautiful, especially in comparison to the pre-crappy excuse-for-framing. (I digress)... The issue is that now all the wood has awful, browning blotches where the wood knots are. It looks like doo-doo b/c all the wood oils have seeped through. Should we have used a special primer under the paint? I can't recall if the paint was latex or oil based an I am sure this may have something to do with it too. I thank you in advance for any advice you can offer. I trust I can get tried and true tips here from someone who has already learned this... before I hit Google and contend with possibly masses of misinformation, haha! THANKS!! xoxo

Janelle said...

Love it. I am always amazed by all the amazingness that goes on at your house.

I laughed out loud at the fact that your cd player stopped working "for no apparent reason" I can't imagine why.

Shirley Moore said...

The things you can do with wood are just...amazing. Cause I looked at that pic of it all nekkid and said...Oh No!!! Then the next pic showed it all painted and gorgeous and stuff. And yes, that big 'ole blossom of greeny jealousy just hit me, bam! Now I'm off to make some beautiful jewelry, so I can turn back into a normal, pink woman...:)

Trish said...

I love your blog, I covet your talent,and I wished you lived next door, because then I could bring over my awesome 80's boom box that lives in my " fridge" and we could rock out while you work!

DressUpNotDown said...

Please DO paint the door black. :o)

Cindy said...

Oh wow! YAY for you! and it looks wonderful!!!

Cindy

lauren said...

This is glorious! When I first saw the entryway, I though, well... I guess it could look alright with some extra oomph. But then I SAW it, and yep! You were totally right, and now I'm going to find myself begging my hubs for a project like this. woo!

Connie @ Measured by the Heart said...

don't paint it black. do a fun color like teal. I painted mine yellow and I love it! get so many comments. now I just tell people, it's the house with the yellow door.

COTTAG3 said...

Moulding looks spectacular! Paint your door black. The inside of my front door and the inside of my back door (french door) are both painted black and they look great. The don't show dirt. I must admit though that I'm thinking of painting them red now.

auntiejenni said...

freakin' awesome. definitely do the door. do it black definitely. awesomer.

Jessica said...

I just love your blog. You rock.