Wednesday, February 13, 2013

The One When You're Not My Friend Anymore.

Once,
 
my neighbor came over, and she was embarrassed to be my friend, and so she made me clean and organize the space below my kitchen island because it looked like someone shook out their garbage bag into it and then closed the doors on it.

It stayed organized for two days.
 
Yes, I'm continuing "ORGANIZATION 2013", and I am on a roll. 
 
You might not be my friend anymore after I show you how I've lived the last 3 years.

But that would make you a shallow person, okay?  (voice shakes.  Runs off.)
 
I tore up my kitchen last week, and every counter looked like this while I was at it.
 


And it was scary. And overwhelming.

You know how, when you move, that you're not really sure where everything should go at first?  You're not sure what will make the most sense to make it your kitchen?

You figure that eventually, you'll get everything exactly where you want it, right?

That's been me the last 3 years we've lived in this house.  I figured eventually, I'd get it the way I want it.

("Hello it shouldn't take three years, duh.")

I know, I know.

It started with this:



and the next logical step was this:



and it has changed my life.

Remember when I said I had not one, not two, but FOUR junk drawers? Humiliations galore.

Behold my main junk drawer emptied out!



Not clean, but emptied out!  Crayons stuck in there, but EMPTIED OUT!

I don't even know how I lived that way, opening a drawer that was stuck on papers 'n crap, rummaging around for a battery 'n shiz. Ridiculous.

We should talk about how many screws, drill bits, and other tools I've found in the most random of places.

No.  We shouldn't.

Okay, just so you know, they have/had these at Home Depot on clearance:



and I snatched two of these up right quick. I had plans to go and make some elaborate trays that fit just so in my drawers, but when these are a couple bucks, or I could lose my toes to frostbite out in the garage?
It just made sense.

No longer is that drawer for junk. I swear, everything has been rearranged in this kitchen of mine.



Ahhhh. I feel such a breath of fresh air. Like I unbuttoned my pants and loosened my belt a little.

And I knew those serving spoon and spatula crap wouldn't stay like that, so I did head out in the garage and made a little, quick separator for it all.



Don't know why that metal spoon looks all freaky and like rusted or dirty or something. It's 'snot.

And as for underneath my kitchen island? The one my friend made us clean out? It needed a shelf, duh.

Headed out into the garage and cut a spare piece of melamine (I have every material known to man out there. Swear.), and I kidd you not. . . this has taken pressure off ev.er.y cabinet in my kitchen.

Some are even kind of empty, now. That's what one extra shelf will do.

I solemnly swear not to take 3 years to make this kind of no-brained decisions, ever again!

Pencils? Erasers? Glue and staplers and scissors and rubber bands and post-its and all that crap that ends up in a huge pile in my house?



Contained. I had no idea I had that many glue sticks. Huh.

So I'm happy.  And the hubs is happy. And just about everything in this house has a place, now.

I'm also a little bit worried that it's taking over my personality and I'm becoming OCD.  I cleaned my closet and organized my shirts according to their arm length.  Jeffro says as long as I "am still able to relax and chill, then it's okay" (and he pats the couch next to him). 

And also, if I don't go following people around with garbage bags at the next family function.  But that's a snarky family joke for another time.

17 comments:

Samantha said...

I need to do this, I can only find one pair of scissors ever at a time. Never the same pair of scissors either....

Bethany @ A Fish Who Likes Flowers said...

We can still be friends as long as you don't come to my house with a garbage bag, mkay?

I'm loving all this organizing that you're doing and it's been giving me a little bit of motivation to try and organize my own things. That and trying to reduce my belongings in preparation for moving, (but I'm not ready to talk about that just yet.)

Desire Empire said...

Good for you.
Carolyn

Mindy said...

I totally agree with an extra shelf thing! I got a couple of shelves that hang underneath a shelf for my clothes storage armoire, and everything fits beautifully now. Yay!

Janelle said...

I just did that last month. Guess what? I have lived here 8 years. You are way ahead of me!

SueAnn Lommler said...

Good for you...it all is looking good!!
Hugs
SueAnn

Sue@House Pretty said...

I'm decluttering and organizing my entire house, so I know that "loosen your belt" kind of feeling, and it feels GOOD! And, onto the amount of glue sticks and other school/office supplies you have, WOW, YOU HAVE A LOT!!! You could start your business at that rate, lol!

Maureen said...

Mandi,

I'm so proud of you! You are an organizing fool! You go Girl! OK, now come help me, please?

Maureen

P.S. Love how you sharpened all the pencils before putting them back in the drawer. LOL.

julie - eab designs said...

Have to admit, we're organizing fanatics (if I wasn't, my husband might leave me... lol). But every girl has to have at least one junk drawer in the kitchen. Mine is mostly filled with paper which causes it to get stuck now and then. When friends come over and go on about how everything is so organized, I happily show them my junk drawer. :)

julie - eab designs said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
julie - eab designs said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lori said...

Hey, can I borrow a pair of scissors ... or maybe EIGHT! You know where they are.

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

Do you not keep opening the drawers to check out your awesome organization??? Feels good to conquer stuff like that doesn't it? I'm so jealous of your glue stick drawer.....Jealous!!!!! The arts and crafts and school supplies have run amuck at my house....I'm getting hives just thinking about them!

Suesan Kennard said...

I'm still your friend and I'm thinking that as MY friend, you should take a little swing out to Ohio and get my kitchen crap organized. Except, I probably need more than 4 drawers if you are going to do it. Dang it! #stupidoldhousewithnostorage

SpaceGirl said...

i just emptied and organized our kitchen junk drawer, too. it's not as big as yours, and i did it with tiny baskets, but it still felt awesome, so i totally know how you feel right now. and we've been in our house for 3 years, too. you should check out http://www.mysimplerlife.com/ , the lady has made a day by day organization calendar for every month of the year! only worry about one thing each day; it's amazing how much better it makes you feel. :)

Libby said...

wow, drawers that work! I have a total of 4 yes, FOUR drawers in my kitchen and all are broken and only one is actually useful.

I need a new kitchen (since I most likely won't get a new house, I'll start with a kitchen)

Good work on organizing! I hope the boys all work with the new layout. My boys always seem to find a new home for stuff--claiming that nothing has a permanent spot. They just don't pay attention)

Emily said...

we are friends for a reason, we are a lot alike. My drawers look just like that. I may have to try some of those things from home depot, only my drawers are weird sizes so those things never fit right.