Friday, February 15, 2013

One Cheap Bastage.

I can't believe it took me this long to man up and complete this project.
 
Remember the baby girl's room?
 


I've had plans since, oh. . . last April? to make her a tufted headboard.

There's something about me and fabric. Freaks me right out. Fabric and I: we are not one.

So I was all like, "baby steps, Mandi. . .baby steps."

Cut out the headboard? I can do that.



Okay, done.  Oh!  This is the point where I wanted to tell you the size of this headboard.  Just in case you were wondering.  You're probably not, but just in case.  For a twin sized bed, this is 48" tall, and 42" wide, thus making the headboard stick out a little less than 2" on each side.  It sits on the floor on it's own, unlike many headboards that just stick out from the top of the bed. 

Just in case you wanted to know.  You probably didn't, though.

 Step two: cut the foam to fit the headboard? Okay, I can wield scissors. No problem-o. Spray the spray adhesive to attach the foam to the plywood?  Done.

And then I pulled out the piece of linen I had decided on waaaaay back in April, and it was a wrinkled disaster.

Oh, man--

allow me let you in on a little secret around this house:
if I'm like,
"We're going to need to iron that."
my kids are like,

"An iron? What's an iron?"

"It's the thing that gets wrinkles out, son."

"You mean a spray bottle?"

"No, an iron. It heats up.?."

(blank stare)

We play Monopoly all the time, and Jace thinks the iron piece is a shield.  We just go with it.
"Move your shield, son."

Also, we say "son" too much.

But back to the matter at hand.

I went the easy, Mandilicious way (psst: she's got a real tutorial over there), and used washers and screws to do my tufts.  Because that's something I know how to do.



I like to think it gives this linen headboard a touch of industrial style. Don't you think?

Nah, I didn't really leave it that way.  But I did leave the screws poking out the back in that way.  You could always cut and file down the screws, or go to the store and pick the exact length as the material you used to make such a headboard, but that would require a not lazy disposition.

 

And I don't have that.

Then, I used those fabric buttons and epoxy-ed them on. I'm thinking the epoxy was a tad excessive.

This is where I tell you what a cheap bastage I am. This headboard?

There's no foam in the bottom middle of it.  I didn't want to go back to the store for another roll, and I didn't want to pay for it either, and no one's going to see what's behind the bed, okay??  Gosh.

The other thing that makes me cheap?  But I prefer the term "frugal"?  Those fabric buttons are expensive.  If you know where to get these in packages that have more than 4 and don't cost an arm and a leg, I'd be much obliged to you for letting me know where.  Because I've only tufted this bad boy to where the pillows hide.
(hope they hide. . .think they hide. . .I'll make it hide. . .) 



And I like it.  And it took me an afternoon, so. . . bonus.

14 comments:

Sue@House Pretty said...

Gosh, we have a Victorian couch, that has, like, a hundred of those buttons. And, the couch needs reupholstered...

S. Anderson said...

Found this as a source that might help you!

www.sew4home.com/tips-resources/sewing-tips-tricks/diy-covered-buttons-no-kit-required

Suesan Kennard said...

Way to tackle a tufted project. I did that for someone. Once. They bought a dropcloth, but not a tight-woven one but the loose weave like linen and it was a bastage to do and I swore never. Ever. Ever. Like Ever again would I do this project. But I do so love the look that I may have to break my word. I love the corner cutouts. Bonus points to Mandi.

Jen said...

Try this! It's really pretty easy. Just takes some time, maybe some patience, too. :)

http://www.sew4home.com/tips-resources/sewing-tips-tricks/diy-covered-buttons-no-kit-required

Jen said...

These little kits make it easy peesy, too, and can be found most places that sell fabric.

http://www.warehousefabricsinc.com/blog/make-your-own-covered-buttons/

Kate said...

eBay for the buttons. Search and filter to but it now option and because I too am frugal ;) I filter free shipping!

Janelle said...

I like it too!

Bethany @ A Fish Who Likes Flowers said...

Great job! And no, I won't hold it against you that you didn't put buttons on the entire thing. It sounds like something I would do.

And cheap? Frugal? I like to use the term budgetly creative, but you can only borrow the phrase if I get the credit. ;-)

Zefi said...

Its terrific! Its how I'd do it! :)

SueAnn Lommler said...

Fantastic....way to go...congrats
Hugs
SueAnn

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

I love it, Mandi! Never would have thought to use the washers and screws. I tufted one button on a foot stool once and that was enough for me. If the bottom is going to be hidden by the pillows anyway, do you really need to do the buttons there?

Emily said...

I love her headboard! How cute is that for a little girls room!

Libby said...

You're more energetic than me...I'd design a headboard that wasn't tufted! Or padded. Well, maybe padded but no cutouts on the corners because I actually want to finish it.
Kudos to you for doing it! (I still have a quilt for my eldest's 12th birthday to finish. He's 33 this year. 33 years not months.)

oh...it looks really well done--professional and all. (which is the look you were going after right?)

Lorilyn Crum said...

I want to do an upholstered bench like this so bad. And who knew buttons would be so expensive? It's like Velcro, you don't realize how much it costs until you need 16 feet of it.