Saturday, February 2, 2013

I Shovel Snow In My Swimsuit, and Other Spooky Stories.

Yeah, you heard me: I shoveled snow in my swimsuit this week.  It was around the flot snub, and I was sick of walking barefoot on snow. 

Spooky for the neighbs.
 
Anyhow, (try clenching your eyes shut tight-- helps with the burned in image,)
 
perhaps you remember my "take more pictures!" resolution for this year.  I did pretty well this last month.  Or I thought I did until I looked through them all.
 
Also: January: ew.  It sucked.  I am sooo done with January.  We lived in Antarctica.  It was rough for me.
 
 

But back to pictures.

I've mentioned before that I am not really "in" to dragging my kids to the portrait studio.  That's for my sanity/my children's lives, and plus, I think the casual, every day snaps mean so much more later on.

But that's just me.

So I focus on the mundane.  The day to day.  Homework and ginormous after-school snack cheese and cracker sandwiches.
 


Stuff like that.

And ya know, none of these are just fabulous shots, hello.  I'm not gonna enter them in a contest.



Or blow them up and have them framed and hung in the house.

Some of them kind of suck.  And some of them suck, not kinda.



(hello 6400 ISO, no light anywhere besides inside the flot snub)

And, ya know, I tried to take these cute, wintery shots of the 8 year old,



but I focused on a snowflake instead of his head.  But, I, like, did that on purpose. . . it was creative. . 'n stuff. . .(I'd also like to flick him in the back of the head for all the crusty facial expressions he gave the camera that day.)

But I freaking love each and every one of them. And frankly?

 

(I like to call this one: "You wouldn't do that if you knew how long it's been since I've cleaned that.")

I could have done better this month. Totally disappointed with myself.



(I like to call this one: "We like to play a little game called, 'Strip Monopoly'".)

How come I didn't take a snap of that night, when I thought it would be totally fun to play this mystery video game together as a family, and it scared all my kids crapless, and so they ended up having a "sleepover" in my bed?



(I like to call this one: "Is that a sled on the right, or a potty training chair?  And must they be mutually exclusive?")

That would have been a good shot.
That was such an uncomfortable night's sleep.

Finally,
I'm going to make an even better effort this month, fo sho.  All the small things.  No child left behind!  And so forth.

  Also, this awesome cape was made by my sister in law, and you can flip it to reveal "Bat Girl" on the other side.



I'm wondering if it would be weird to get one in my size.

10 comments:

Samantha said...

It would only be weird if you got one in your size and didn't wear it draped over the edge of the flot snub so it didn't get wet but you were still easily recognisable for your powers.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Yes, you should definitely get a cape for yourself, Mandi. Just think how awesome you'd look shoveling snow around your flot snub in that AND your bathing suit! : ) I think your pictures turned out great. My favorites of my kids were those day-to-day shots I would capture, and that was back in the days when it was a roll of film and you had to go somewhere to get it developed.

Michelle Wilkes said...

I make those same capes and sell them at craft shows. Some one wanted me to make one for her husband for Christmas. I couldn't do it. I thought it was too weird. but really, I think I just thought he was weird, and way too big to be jumping off the furniture pretending he could fly...

Michelle Wilkes said...

I make those same capes and sell them at craft shows. Some one wanted me to make one for her husband for Christmas. I couldn't do it. I thought it was too weird. but really, I think I just thought he was weird, and way too big to be jumping off the furniture pretending he could fly...

Bethany @ A Fish Who Likes Flowers said...

I love all the pictures that you post, and I think you are lucky to get some pretty amazing shots. I always think that the best pictures are the ones that aren't posed, I think there is something beautiful about capturing a moment or a memory to pull out later, because not every moment has to be beautiful.

Ok, I think I just got a little too deep there when all I was trying to say is that I love all your pictures, even the ones that aren't perfect.

SueAnn Lommler said...

I agree...you totally need that cape!!Great crazy shots too..love the wet head shot
Hugs
SueAnn

Heather said...

You have no idea who I am and honestly, I have no idea how I found your blog many many posts ago. But, I just have to tell you that you really speak to me girl. I find you incredibly witty and frankly hilarious at times. I truly enjoy myself every time I read a post and think man it would be fun to be her friend. Just thought I would stop lurking and come clean and let you know I think you are great! Keep up the good work. :)

riksu said...

I just love your Snowflake-Picture! Maybe because I do these all the time?! ;-)

Lorilyn Crum said...

#1) Your posts seriously make my day.

#2) That cape is awesome - I plan for Ransom to have one representing each super hero.

#3) January does suck. But in Oregon, so does February, March, April, and most of May since it's 40 and rainy the entire time. I'm currently holding out for August.

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

That shower picture made Mark and I laugh out loud.....that just captures childhood so very well. Why that need to lick things???...mine do it too! Who needs dumb posed studio pics when you've got moments from real life to remind you someday of what these sweet days were really made if! Love the photos you take of your munchkins.