Saturday, January 26, 2013

Moms Who Eat Their Feelings. Part 2.

Did we ever talk about the holiday meltdowns I have? 

The last few years, I swear to myself I won't have a freak out, and then I just. . . do.  I'm all,

"All I do is cook for ____ and _____ and ______ I spend the whole holidays in the kitchen, while everyone else gets to play and I miss out!"

And I absolutely know that Jeffro is thinking,

"Well, that's because you decided to make _____ and then make _____ and then you had to throw in _____ when you could have just store bought.  And no one asked you to."

But he's smart, so he didn't say that out loud.  Because then there would be flames.  Flames. Flames?  On the sides of my face.  Breathing. . .heaving breaths. . . (name that movie.)

This is embarrassing.  I don't want to talk about this anymore! (Voice rises in pitch.  Runs off.  Slams door.)

Anyhow,

I like to cook for occasions.  I see family get-togethers/parties/football games etc. etc. as my chance to give my pinterest food board a little look-see.  A try-out, if you will. 

I've said it before but I'll say it again: I am the Pinterest nazi.  I check to make sure the pin goes where it's supposed to, then I scroll down the first 50 comments that say "Ooh looks yummy!" to the people who actually tried it, and then I see what those who've braved the kitchen have to say about it. 

If it's mixed reviews, I bag the recipe.  Too many good recipes out there to waste ingredients on the gross ones, knowwhatI'msayin'?

So, the Super Bowl's next week.  Allow me to offer some suggestions.  I promise I've tried them.  I promise everyone liked them.  I also promise that none of these are healthy in the slightest.  But what else is the Super Bowl for, if not to eat poorly?

I mean, really.

This cake is so good I could marry it.  Strawberries 'n lime glaze. . . some greek yogurt in the mix. . .wow.








Pizza dip. Pizza dip! It's easy, it's fatty, and it's a winner.



I've made these "baked potato chips" three Fridays in a row. And they're soo healthy! I mean, it is a vegetable, isn't it??



(Personal note: I don't believe the tops of the chips need to be sprayed. It's superfluous.)

Is this a weird item to add to a list for the Super Bowl?



Well, too bad. 'Cause they're good. They're so. . .different. And you can't stop eating them. Note: I serve them warm, unlike the recipe suggests. I'm a rebel.

I'm not saying you're never going to buy a box of Junior Mints again.



But these are easy, and the kids think they're super fun, and they taste pretty good, too.

If you actually wanted a meal next Sunday, as opposed to massive quantities of dips 'n treats?

2 thumbs up by thee entire family.  Ranch Crock Pot Pork Chops.



I am so hungry right now I could eat my shoe.

And last, but certainly not least: savory beef.   Put 'em in tacos or enchiladas,



or anything that is edible. Because it is that good. Please excuse me. I need to go eat because I'm feeling "Hangry."  And that can get ugly.

10 comments:

Libby said...

I'm not into Super Bowl (being Canadian and all...ok many Canadians are stocking up on 'not quite healthy' foods that look and taste good but might, just might add a few pounds) but I do like my snacks and those baked potato chips do look tastey. And messy.

I don't do the big meals...hubbins has done that since our first Thanksgiving together. I made the small meal and then fell asleep at the table...he's made them pretty much ever since. Lucky me! (I think, I do the clean up).

You gotta get those boys making some of the goodies...then one day you aren't going to miss playing!

Janice said...

Um, you suck. I'm already starving and dinner isn't for another 2 hrs and you post this. Thanks.

I'm going to try the beef. And the potato chip things instantly. Like between now and dinner.

Yum.

The Clegg Family said...

Clue! And that cake looks divine.

Layne Bushell said...

Ummmm Heck yah you need Spicy Thai Noodles in the mix. Anytime, anyplace is always appropriate for Thai food!

All that looks yummy. The cake, the potato chips, the beef...yum.my.

Janelle said...

This post is heaven. Heaven. Heaven! I am needing to go raid the fridge right now because my mouth is watering.

P.S. I loved the spaghetti sauce from the other day. I may need the recipe for that too. Thanks!

james and bess said...

so, um, thanks a bunch, cause i recently had dinner, but now i'm munchy again.... :) can't wait to try those junior mints!! please feel free to review tried and true recipes often cause i hate wasting time on stuff that looks, tastes, and/or smells bad.

bess :)

p.s. i also need to go watch 'clue' now - maybe while eating my snacks?

Maureen said...

Mandi,

IT'S CLUE! That is one of my favorite lines from Mrs. White.

Maureen

Evelyn said...

I've been wanting to try that pizza dip, but I've been afraid...so I'm VERY glad to hear you liked it!

Lorilyn Crum said...

OMG so doing the Thai noodle one - I'm going to cheat though because my neighbor makes and sells a yummy spicy peanut sauce I can use... I eat it by the spoonful.

Emily said...

I love to cook and I have tried most of these and would totally agree that they are YUMMY. I need to try those spicy thai noodles and the thin mint things...maybe not together, but who knows I may.