Monday, January 28, 2013

Fun With Junk.

I never showed you my finished mantel.  Silly Mandi.
 
Speaking of mantel/mantles, I have been mixing things up around here, and it's been fun.
 
Oh, and by the way, my "gaming" mantel--
 


let's just say the scrabble pieces don't want to stay put.  You hear this loud smack at all hours of day and night-- the hubs is all,

"What was that?"  at like 3 a.m., and I'm like,
"Just scrabble.  Go back to bed."

And my kids are like,

"Mom, what does

'ME
ON'

mean??"

It's secret code, kids.

Anyhow.  That was pointless.  Let's talk mantels! 

Recall that I am still banned from my favorite shopping places, so if I can't find it in the house, I get to wrangle something up.  Crapt style.

I had this old doorknob (that I replaced with a locking doorknob to lock my children out of the toy room because that's the kind of mother I am), and I thought to myself,

"Self, this could be a cool decorative piece."

 


Scrap piece of wood here. Ran it through my router (my roman ogee bit has been seeing a lot of use lately. Not that anyone cares),



and there we are. Put it on the hallway shelf, and honestly, I didn't love it.



But it's been growing on me. Oh!!



I felt like my kids needed updated silhouettes. That was fun. You can see how I do my silhouettes here. (FYI I didn't have them cut out this time-- I just printed them out and was done with them.)

I spy little fingerprints all over that mirror.  Someone should clean that.

So.  Where were we with the newest mantle?



Ah. . . yes. I needed to grout, still.

Let me just say, I love that there's a place for the controllers to go, now. ('S what the bowl is for.)



Oh ma gosh. . . "M & J"??! Ca-ute! (Just threw up in my mouth a little.)

9 comments:

Maureen said...

Mandi,

I hope you have the best day ever!

Maureen

Janice said...

Oh how I love reading your blog. Wanna move in next door to me and we can just chat all day? NO WAIT! I hate my house and yours is cool. I'll move in next to YOU. Please give your neighbors warning that they need to leave. Just pick the coolest house around and that'll work just fine for me.

Debbie Gisle said...

We, too, have controller issues. Your solution is cuter than my solution (drawer full of other wires, loose games that I choose to ignore so I don't spurt blood from my eyes with anger from the scratching of CDs and skylanders...why are there so many skylanders?).

Thanks for blogging. You have great ideas. And we both kinda randomly quote things and think the world should pick up on what we are talking about. Because they should.

Bethany @ A Fish Who Likes Flowers said...

I love the little updates, especially that doorknob. If you ever get tired of it, you can send it my way ;-)

SueAnn Lommler said...

Hmmm! I think I like the door knob! Ha! And your mantle as well!
Very cool
Hugs
SueAnn

Lorilyn Crum said...

I really like that hall mantel, like A LOT (imagine me saying that in a Dumb and Dumber voice). You are such a freaking whiz with molding and mantels, you've just inspired me to finish painting my board and batten today. Thank you.

Jeannine said...

Glad to see I'm not the only one that has "masterpieces" falling off the wall. "ME ON"... Love it!!

Jeannine @ The Concrete Cottage

Hippymom83 said...

Debbie Gisle: I am soooo with you!....Too many Skylanders! We don't have a coffee table in our family room, so my hubby hijacked my ironing board for him and the boy to use as a table while they play Skylanders. So there is now an ironing-board-coffee-table-wanna-be sitting in the middle of the family room covered in dozens of Skylanders!

Love your mantle, Mandi! Is it just built over a wall or is there a fireplace that's covered up? Also, loved your Pinky and the Brain reference! LOL I quote them whenever my hubby asks me "so what do you want to do?"....."same thing we do every night Pinky"....:)

Emily said...

They are all super cute! I love to silhouettes. I tried to figure out how to do them, but my super uncrafty brain can't figure it out. Maybe you can come show me some time.