Thursday, December 13, 2012

The Hills Are Alive. . . With The Sound Of Pipe Chimes.

Do you remember me talking about making pipe chimes last Christmas season?
 
 We should, nay, we must talk about it again.
 


This here's my set I made last year.  And this year, I mailed them to my sister.  Told her last year I'd make her some, and then didn't.

I am a weiner bopper for never getting to that.  Sorry, sis.

I was gonna make her a brand new set, but I knew 'twould take me forever to get to it.  I mean, what's the date today?  And it still needs to ship, hello.  So I sent her mine weeks ago, and set out to make a new set.

Kay, so--



make these for your children. They will love them.

Or if you're like me, make them and then force your aunts, uncles, and cousins to play them at the Christmas Eve party.
(Thanks for playing along, fam.)

So! Lemme tell you what I've learned this time around.

DO buy yourself this handy dandy pipe cutter. It's cheap. It's easy. It's like a daytime hooker.



You simply tighten and twist.  Tighten and twist. 
I used a massive pipe cutter last time, and it wasn't cool, man. Ask the hardware guys where this awesome tool is. Then they will tell you they don't sell those. Insist that they do, because your good friend Layne told you so.
Then come home and have your hubby tell you that you already own one, and you can take that back.

Use this list:



to make your pipe chimes. Simple as that. (Psst: even a 16th off will make the note off.)

Then, beg your awesomely awesome friend, Layne, to make you a new case for your new pipe chimes. But maybe you don't have a friend named Layne. But you should.

 Maybe we can get Layne to give us a sewing tut on this case.



Holy cow, I love the material so. She just gets me.

And there we have it!



Pipe chimes for the whole fam dam. Make these. You'll love them. Promise. Or you can beat me with them later.

6 comments:

Mandy Beyeler said...

we made these, and then cursed your name as they took forever - mainly because I had the bright idea to make 4 sets (don't do that) - - but now that they're made, we love them...

anyways, my post: http://www.sugarbeecrafts.com/2012/12/pipe-chimes.html

and Trevor's take on it: http://www.soimarriedacraftblogger.com/2012/12/chimes.html

WhettenWild said...

Thank you so much! They were a hit in primary!!! My kids love them too......and they are getting WAY better at playing them.

You rock! Love ya!

Layne Bushell said...

I love bells. That's what they're called in my house! I would be glad to do a tutorial...except I just make it up as I go!!! And everyone will probably want actual measurements! I think I could do it. It just won't have pictures to go along with it!! And by the way, no begging was involved in this deal. Just a simple "will you" and I jumped at the chance!

Janelle said...

I love that picture of Jamison. Priceless.

I would love to make those. But maybe next year.

Emily said...

This is such a great idea! I would totally make them, if it wasn't for my measureing skills, they suck and they would all be off key, just like me.

Spencer & Lorilyn Crum said...

Next year I am so making these, little Ran Man will luff them.