Tuesday, November 20, 2012

As Long As The Turkey Doesn't Deflate, We're Good.

Every year I'm in charge of the turkey, I worry it'll deflate like on Christmas Vacation,
 
 
or it will be completely frozen and take 36 hours to cook in the oven.  None of those things have happened, by the way. (Crossing fingers they won't.  Ever.)
 
Anyhow,
 
I love Thanksgiving.  I see it as Fall's last hurrah.  And I love fall.  In fact, this is how I see seasons where I live:
 
 
 
I'm serious.  Seriously serious.  Serious as a kitten on the freeway, serious.  I hate winter because it sucks up everything else.
 
But enough of that!  I love Thanksgiving.  That's where we were at.  Happy thoughts.

Got my mantels all decorated up.  (Mantle?  Mantels?  Interwebs says they can both be used.  I use them interchangeably now.  Mix things up.  I'm a rebel.)



Made pies with my sis in law. She's trying to learn me how to make a pretty pie. Because my pies look like poo. And no one likes Poop Pie. Far as I know.

 
And, oh, man, do I love a good tablescape.  Last year, I went the gold route.



Gold "silverware", what what?  Also, those are burlap placemats. 

Burlap stinks.
Those stanked.

This year, since I couldn't find anything new and cool (and I looked, believe me),



I shopped the house.  Bor-ing.



Blue & Gold. Oh, wait. I didn't realize this is like a cubscouts meeting.



So!  I really, really want to make this more of an exciting holiday.  It gets so skipped, people!  I love Christmas, too, but c'mon!   Trying to think of some fun traditions for my family to get excited about.

Couple years back, I made my whole family play "Young Me Now Me".
 


You know? You know. There's even a Modern Family episode dedicated to this hilarity. It was fun. You should play this.

This year?  I'm making everyone play. . . wait for it. . . Flag Football.  It's an American Thanksgiving tradition!

Past week, texts have been sent out to the fam:

"What time do we want to eat Thanksgiving dinner at?
p.s., Mom said she called dibs on being quarterback."

and then,

"How's 1:00 p.m. for Thanksgiving?
p.s., Mom has been doing push-ups all week to prepare for the big game."

(from the bro:)

"Are they one-armed push-ups?"

(me:)
"Fo sho."

I'm pretty sure I was the only one who found this hilarious.  You should know that I have two brothers, and they are massive.  Like, 6' 5", solid rocks.  And they take no prisoners.  One of us is going to get jacked, and it's probably gonna be me.

So, after the big game, we can all go nurse our injuries whilst watching a 3-D movie in the basement.



I've been asking everyone for suggestions for the movie, but with little response. You know what I think?! I think we should get "Lord of the Dance" IN 3-D!! Wouldn't that be awesome?

It would totally be like Michael Flatley was kicking us all in the face. Brilliant.

I think this is a fun keeper for the little butt munches:



little pilgrim hats for the kids' table. I'm adding them to the mix of Indian hats from last year.

Here we have Pocahontas:



and. . .



her brother, Crazy Brow.




Aw heck, maybe I'll even make the adults choose one, too.   Have a good one, y'all.

8 comments:

SueAnn Lommler said...

Ha!! You too hun...good luck on the football! You are gonna need it!!
Hugs
SueAnn

Little Oak Creations said...

Ha! We live in the same exact climate (MI) notorious for really only two seasons... winter and construction. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours! :)

Samantha said...

HAHAHAHAh! Lord of the Dance for the win! That would be awesome. I've never seen the need for 3D....until now, thanks!!

julie - eab designs said...

Happy Thanksgiving! Love the shot of everyone in their 3D glasses cuddling up on the couch!

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

I love your plan for something fun on Thanksgiving. All I can think of with flag football is Wedding Crashers, it does sound hilarious in theory, especially if those large brothers of yours are on your team! Your little Native Americans look so cute in their headdresses….I think everyone at my table, adult or kid, should wear one of those!
Hope you have a great day, and that your turkey (& mine) doesn't look like Clark Griswold's!!!

So thankful for your friendship, Beastie!

Shirley Moore said...

Will you pllleeeaaassseee set up a video camera? And then post it for us? Cause I know it's gonna be a rowdy time at your T Dinner!!!! :D Have a great one!!

Spencer & Lorilyn Crum said...

Ummm can I come to Thanksgiving dinner? I'm pretty athletic and will make a great addition to your flag football team, but I call dibs on a pilgrim hat though, those are legit.

Hope you and your family have a great holiday weekend :)

Emily said...

Those hats are so cute, did you make them?