Wednesday, October 3, 2012

I Don't Always Build, But When I Do, It's Craptastic.

Lately,
 
I've been building a lot of crap for other people.  I've been asking my besties if they wanted a little sumthin' sumthin' for their birthdays.   You know, important people.  A sort of: "Happy birthday to someone I would totally donate some nonessential organs to!" People like that.

I don't know why I'm doing this-- perhaps I want them to have something to remember me by.
 
("Oh, look at this piece of _____ shelf.  Aw. . . it reminds me of Mandi.")
 
 Once, I made Amy at The Idea Room's awesome bathroom shelf for a bestie.



Little known secret, here:

every time I make something for someone else, every.single.time., I sit and fret. Have a mild panic attack about it. Occasionally have a nightmare or two.
I know, it's silly, right? It's part of my mental situation. I seriously worry, that people are sitting at home, turning over their shelf/frame/piece of crap in their hands, and they're picking the workmanship apart for family night.



I really do like this shelf, though. There's just got to be a place somewhere around here for a shelf like that. (Mentally clearing a wall, now.)

One good thing that's come out of this, though?

I've learned to be a lot, lot less sloppy. (Every friend who's gotten anything from me is scratching their head, going-- "less sloppy? LESS?")

See, if it were my project, and you were going to nitpick my project, I'd be like, "Okay.  Before you tell me what I did wrong, first know that I don't care."

But it's not my project.



(Shhh-- this is my nieces American Girl doll bed. It's for Christmas. Plus, it might be the wrong shade of purple.   And it needs some more sanding. I'm picking this apart just staring at the picture. You can find me in the garage tomorrow with purple fingers and a sander in my hand. What is wrong with me??)

Am I making myself sound abnormal? I am normal, swear! I am just going to keep calling and texting you until you understand how normal I am!

Anyhow,

today I decided to make this for a friend:

 


She never said she wanted one.  I'm hoping she'll decide she does when I show up with it.
This is Ana's front-facing shelves. I built one for my kids' books, and I love it.

And so I got to work, cutting and painting (painting. . .shudder. Is it bad form to build something for someone and hand it over unfinished?).



Yep. I'm picking this apart in my head.



Don't even tell me the shelves are crooked; my eye will start twitching again. I checked for level a dozen times, okay? Gosh. It's an optical illusion!  Or I'm going crazy and my level is broken!  Don't gaslight me, people!

So! What's my next panic attack project? Centsational Girl's laundry room drying rack.



And I'm about here:



Soooo close.

17 comments:

Janelle said...

I DO think of you every time I use my fabulous thingy. I think it is perfect. I do not stare at it and look for anything wrong- because it is perfect. (Sorry, I don't have a better name for it then "thingy")

I was ecstatic to get an original "Mandi"- I should have you sign it!

Mel@Mellywood's Mansion said...

I think they'll be okay with it - If not you may need new friends, or a new shipping address to send your creations. Mines available for deliveries.

Lisa at Shine Your Light said...

Every time I "build" something I feel like I'm getting my Mandi-groove on. How lucky your friends are that you build stuff for them!! I am 150% sure that they would never see the flaws you see; aren't we all so critical of our own work? I love seeing all your creative projects!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

I always freak when I am making something that isn't for myself but for someone else, Mandi. I don't think your shelves are crooked; I think you do what I do, stand crooked or its the way we hold the camera, so the thing your photographing winds up looking crooked or not level. Sometimes I put a disclaimer in my posts when I see how the picture comes out. I love all these things you've made. The shelf with hooks and I love that bookcase for a child's room.

Kimbo West said...

we need to be better friends.
i would totally spot you a liver.
do you need a liver? is a liver something i can live without? kidney maybe?

Marcy said...

I have the same issue with sewing. Anything I make gets a lot more critical attention than things I buy, which really isn't fair, and not just because my stuff is way better.

But I worry obsessively about all the mistakes on the gifts I make. I'm pretty sure my younger sister never wants me to sew another thing for her. Too bad I'm making her a half-apron this weekend...

Megan said...

I TOTALLY understand the level "problem." No matter how many times I check to make sure something is level, it doesn't look like it is. I've decided it's because one of my legs is shorter than the other. :)

Emily said...

Hey, I love my shelf built by Mandi!! And I do think of you every time I look at it. It is the coolest thing in my house! It's all decked out for Halloween. I can't tell you how excited I am to have a mantle to hang stocking from. Ü
You are the best and anyone who gets anything you made is very lucky!

Carolyn Dennis said...

BBwwwhhhhahahahahahahahaaa! You're closer to me on the drying rack. You have supplies. I just keep looking at the pictures!

Attempting Aloha said...

The more projects I do for other people, the more I'm right there with you on the paint issue. And I've come to the conclusion that non-DIY'ers actually don't mind painting since it's not something they do all the time. I think I'm going to go ahead and start giving unfinished items and say, "I wanted you to be able to personalize it with whatever color you want!" ((snort))

Aloha,
Charlie

Tracy's Trinkets and Treasures said...

I call dibs on one of your kidneys and I will take anything you want to build me. All I see is awesome. :)

WhettenWild said...

I want that shelf. Your friend is out of luck. Just kidding.....but I really do want the shelf.

Everything you make is awesome, and I can't make anything so you are WAY far ahead of me!

Spencer & Lorilyn Crum said...

I think it looks great! I'm in the process of making ledge shelving for the nursery right now, but my secret fear is when the kid gets older, it's going to treat them as a ladder and climb up them...

GustoBones said...

Amazing as always!:)

Ann Marie Heasley said...

hey, guess what! I left this comment form open so I'd remember to leave you a comment. It is now a few days later and I have no idea which post I am commenting on.

Just wanted to tell you that you are awesome, you and your blog are loved, and that ps I miss you. ;)

Layne Bushell said...

this post just made me feel very important! You. are. amazing. Don't forget it!

Shirley Moore said...

If I had an awesome drying rack built by Mandi, I would be tellin' everybody, cause that would mean I ROCK!!! (You have my address, right?)