Sunday, August 19, 2012

She Made an Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Little Crafty Closet Thingy.

I cannot believe how excited I am about this change I've made. 

Seriously, I walk past it several times a day, open the door, and just stare.

Before I show you the disaster-catastrophe that was this space (why am I showing you the "before"??  Why?), I must share a few things, first.

First-- I have this closet - - and I wanted a little a this:

Or this:


which leads me to the question: Can anyone really sew in a closet? Little projects, right?

Anyhow, I want this.  Did you know I had a craft room for about 2.58907 seconds?  It didn't work out because
1., it suddenly became the basement playroom and
2., like a dog, or a garbage can, my place is in the garage.

I'm a garage worker.  And I've come to terms with that.

But I STILL want this craft space!  And, dare I say it. . ..

I am going to FINALLY learn to sew.

Don't talk about me like I'm not here!

I'm going to wait for you to stop laughing.

Finished?

Gah.  I can't believe I'm going to do this.  Behold this condemnable closet:


This is after I started cleaning it out.  Oh, the shame.  The horror.

Now, let me tell you a couple things about this little project.  While I thought the husband would be overjoyed that this would be a better-utilized spot, he was actually more concerned that we would lose precious storage space. (Because we're using it soooo well so far??  It's time to clean this mess.  Poop or get off the pot.  Sheesh.) 

So, I promised that it would still be very functional in storage.

Second?  I am sooo sick of spending money.  But that's a post for another time.  I absolutely refuse to go out and drop serious dough on pretty organization thingys. 

Not gonna do it.  Wouldn't be prudent.

Again, I shopped my own house.  Bought absolutely nothing.  Well, except for this:

 

which was in the dollar bins at Target and now holds all my wrapping paper.  And we all know that Target dollar bin crap doesn't count.  But that's it, I SWEAR!

Got all up in this closet, rearranged a few things, moved in and out and up and down the shelving--

Can I just say, that I wrapped a present in here the other day? I hate to wrap. But this, was a pleasure. A joy beyond measure. A blessing, of duty, and love.



Stole our awesomely sharp scissors that will now stay in here. (All our other hundred scissors can barely cut paper.)  Those keys are what unlocks our food storage room. (Shhhhh. Don't tell my kids. Or their friends.)

Put in old, rolling drawers to house our crap.

 

There's no other description for this stuff but "crap". I guess I could have labeled it "crap we want to keep". That would be a tad more descriptive.

And? Here we are.



Totally functional for storage (thank you very much, Jeffro!), and now it's my little crapt room. Er space.  Er teensy weensy closet thingy.

15 comments:

Janice said...

Love the little space. I had a craft room for a year before the baby appeared. Dang kids overtaking everything.

I thoroughly enjoy reading your blog. Every time. And I love people who show the before pictures because that's always what my closets are like.

Lisa at Shine Your Light said...

Love it - wish I had one! So orgazined!!! What are you going to sew? I want to learn right along with you. I took classes as a kid but still - my daughter has to fix the thingamabobbin every time I make an attempt nowadays. I'm envisioning all sorts of cute chevron throw pillows and such in your house and mine in the near future! I'm inspired by your closet!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Yes, love it, Mandi! I think it's a great use for this space and you've organized it so nicely. Way to go shopping the house!

Evelyn said...

That looks AWESOME! But if you learn to sew, try not to break your sewing machine the first month...cause you'll be mad. Not that I know from experience or anything....

You literally made me laugh out loud when reading the hymn quote. I love you!

Suesan said...

Nice. I realized I actually enjoyed a lot of crafts once I got my crap organized and stopped spending half my time trying to find everything. :D Throw any sewing questions my way. I'm happy to help.

Rebecca D said...

I totally would love to do this... I don't have a spare closet though... Do yo thing someone would give me their bedroom closet? I cook for these people aterall... Oh wait, I have a plan... If I just stop doing laundry they would have no need for a closet... Hummm... This could work!

SueAnn Lommler said...

Well....it is totally awesome.
Congrats on your new space!!
Hugs
SueAnn

jtatiana21 said...

your closet looks wonderful. However, if you really want to learn how to sew, you will need bigger surface to prepare your fabric. That’s why my sewing room is still my dinning room, with it’s long table. I hate the mess I make ever time I work on the project, but it’s just more practical. Plus hubby doesn’t want to share his" man cave" with my mess. By the way, the best way to learn how to sew, is buying a pattern and just starting to sew, following direction on your pattern. Most of them are very good. You don’t need class or anything. That’s the way I learned, start with simple patterns and gradually try more complicated. It is a lot of fun. Good luck. I love you blog, must be my favorite ,mostly because it’s so funny as creative!

Kassi Mortensen said...

I love it! I love your post title too! haha. :) I have a drawer of crap I want to keep... :)

Emily said...

I love it! I would love a little space like that! Unfortunately we dont have a closet that big. Ü
And...
We can learn to see together!

Emily said...

I meant sew not see! Dang spellcheck!

Lina - Fancy Frugal Life said...

Aw thanks for lmentioning mine! I love your space now! How great is that?!
We had to move and I had to give up my crap closet I mean craft closet...Putting together my new space now :-)
Lina @fancy frugal life

Maura said...

Sweeet!

SO glad to see those keys there. We just moved to a house with a (yet-to-be-filled) food storage room, and the first thing I thought was "I gotta get a lock for this room", and then I thought I might be a bad mother or something, since I never remember locks on the food storage when I was growing up. Except the freezer. That's where all the good stuff was.

Bethany @ A Fish Who Likes Flowers said...

Can I just say how jealous I am? You officially have more crafting space then I do and it's much better organized too. Great job!

Jessie said...

Haha, love it! I am singing the song now :) Love your blog!