Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Danny, Is This The End?

(Of Summer?)
My kids went back to school this week.
No, no, I'll spare you the waaaaaa details.  Otherwise, someone might punch me in the face. 
But what I do want to share with you,

is the ups 'n downs.  The ins and outs.  The highs and the lows.  The goods and the bads of our summer list.



(psst: there was a lot of croquet. A lot. And then someone leaves the hoops out for the hubs to run over with the lawnmower, and then things got ugly.)



Let's do this.
Let's start with the wrong that I so desperately want to be right.



1. Hamster Ball Ice Cream

You know, the balls that you roll around to make homemade ice cream? You know it looks like a hamster ball.
Doggone it, I want this to be a fun activity. We attempt it every year with cousins and friends, and it's just the suckiest sucky activity that ever did suck. 

What can I do differently? I let the punks choose the flavor we're making: mint chocolate chip? Cookie dough? Rum and raisins?

 

Oh, I kidd. We don't keep raisins around here.

We play hot potato and various other games whilst rolling the hamster ball, but in the end, everyone is hot, hungry, and bored.
I vow to make this a hit. Somehow.

  2. Cooking Class



This, despite my having to hold my tongue constantly, was a really good, and. . . dare I say it? . . . FUN activity (for the boys. The BOYS.)

This 'uns a keeper. Told the boys in a couple years, that "Cooking Class" will turn into "Building Class". Told 'em I'd teach them how to build the wrong way, and then daddy could go right after me and teach them the right way.
Jeffro didn't correct that one.

3. Olympics Dinners



(note: this is not an "Olympics Dinner". I just like the picture. Thanks.)

So, we had these "special dinners" several nights, whilst watching Team USA. And it was fun. And highly anticipated.

 

(note: this is not an "Olympics Dinner" either, but at least it is food. So, you know, closer.)

Fondue one night. Appetizers the next. We even had. . . wait for it. . .

Thanksgiving in August.
Turkey, potatoes 'n gravy, rolls, stuffing, pie. . . all of it. It was fun. Until I had to do the dishes.

Guess this one isn't a carry over for next summer, huh? I guess we could call it "Reruns Dinners". I'll think on that.

Oh. I can't leave this one out.

4. The neighborhood "drive in" movie.



I always wanted to do this. ("The flowers are still standing!" name that movie). I thought it was great fun, and I have pretty darned awesome neighbors, so this would  totally get two thumbs up for me. I would make it an annual or semi-annual occasion, but I had to rely on so many different people to make this happen, and I totally hate to put people out.
(Thank you Jacks! and Taylors! And Daddy-o!)

Oh man. . . I'm getting all sad. Teary eyed.

 

I could go on and on. But I'm gonna stop now. Suck it up. Be a man.



I'll just shut up now and wrap up with a picture.



Oh, and one more.

Okay, okay.  Really, done.  Somehow, I'll find a way to go on.  Please don't punch me.

11 comments:

Lisa at Shine Your Light said...

What an awesome summer you made for the chitlins!!! Seriously, how fun are you with the cooking classes, Olympics dinners (I didn't do anything fun with that except, um, let my kids watch endless amounts of tv), the homemade ice cream and the drive in movie!! Your kiddos made so many great memories, I'm sure!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

I used to love coming up with different things to do with my kids over the Summer when they were young, Mandi. You always hope at least one thing will be a memory maker; a "remember when" for when they are older. I think you got a lot into one Summer. I actually used to get sad when school rolled around again in September for my kids. I loved having them around. I think I was the only parent who wasn't saying, "I can't wait for the kids to go back to school"!

SueAnn Lommler said...

You definitely had an action packed and fun summer. Me..I traveled and ate and traveled some more
Fun times as well
Hugs
SueAnn

Emily said...

Ooh that looks like fun! I am such a boring mom. I will have to remember some of these ideas for next summer!

Maureen said...

Mandi,

The movie was ---Ghostbusters! Man, do I wish we lived closer. :(
Pennsylvania is just too far away!!!

Maureen

Mallory said...

No, Sandy. It's only the beginning.


I didn't know you had an ice cream ball! I have one too and it does kind of suck. I decided that it's my punishment for eating ice cream. If I want the ice cream badly enough, I'll make it!

COTTAG3 said...

What a great summer!!! By the way, "Ice Cream in a Baggy" is way more fun. It's cold (really cold) and a little quicker to make. Other fun summer recipes: Dirt Pudding with gummy worms served in a flower pot with fake flowers and a shovel to scoop it out. It's really fun if you surprise the kids with it. Also, blue jello in a simple goldfish bowl with gummy fish or fish crackers in it. You can adapt the dirt pudding using Nilla wafers to make "sand" and decorate with shells or whatever. Love doing that stuff.

Rebecca D said...

This summer really sped by... Ours started with the wedding and ended with a new job for me... Craziness!
PS: After one horrible camping trip with the "ice cream ball from you know where" I marched that puppy right back in to LL Bean where I bought it and demanded (ok, asked for) a refund. Once was enough for me!

Rebecca D said...

This summer really sped by... Ours started with the wedding and ended with a new job for me... Craziness!
PS: After one horrible camping trip with the "ice cream ball from you know where" I marched that puppy right back in to LL Bean where I bought it and demanded (ok, asked for) a refund. Once was enough for me!

Kimbo West said...

dang you maureen. who you going to call....

Bethany @ A Fish Who Likes Flowers said...

Again, I feel super jealous that you've had an awesome summer. I've spent most of mine working, at the hospital with ABF or wedding crafting... alright, I'm done complaining. I'm happy that you had an awesome summer with your kiddos. Enjoy them before they grow out of all the fun stuff!