Tuesday, May 1, 2012

The One Where I Don't Think of a Clever Title.

It was about 11:50 p.m. when I remembered to water my plants.

Remember how I made this odd contraption to grow seeds in my only south-facing window?



Well, I've been using it. Might have had to replant seeds a couple times 'n all,



but still, I was overjoyed to see things pop up.

Who knew it was so awesome to grow things?? I thought only killing things was fun! How wrong I was.

Maybe I should stop making jokes about murders/severed heads/dead bodies. Maybe.

Anyhow, as I was saying, it was 11:50 p.m. when I remembered to water my plants after my trip to the Lakehouse.



And behold all my weed! Er, I mean veggies. VEGGIES.

  And so, at 11:54 p.m., I turned to the hubs in bed and said,

 "holy crap my tomatoes don't even fit in that window anymore! They need to go outside."

Hubs half opens one eye and grunts agreement.

And then I say, "You know what we need? We need a potting bench. A POTTING BENCH."

Hubs mutters "okay. . ." and flips over in bed. You know, away from his chatty wife.

And then, until about 3 minutes after midnight, I used his phone to look up potting bench plans. Because, you know, my phone is stone age. It might as well have a rotary dialer on it.


These plans from Lowe's almost, almost sold me:



but they're massively complex plans. And I wanted this bench now. Now NOW NOW. Yesternow.

So, by 7:05 a.m. the next morning, I had my own plans in my noggin. I want you to know that I am never, EVER awake before 8:00 a.m.
Oh ye who text me before 8:00 a.m., thanks for the wake up texts. And when I say "thanks", I really mean, "Thanks a lot, jerk."

I kidd. I love ya.

I was totally going to give you a shopping list, cut list, and general instructions on this very simple and super cheap ($20) little potting bench, but,



since I made a cut size miscalculation, seriously underestimated the amount of 1x3 for the slats I needed underneath and thus ran out, and let's not forget how I knocked over an entire can of paint,

I decided that I was unqualified to give any sort of plans.

I was sooo close to picking a fabulous green paint color like that Lowe's bench up there, but since it's going right in between my two massive, white, window boxes outside, I went with the usual white. You know, what my kids call "totally boring".

And,



here we are. This potting bench has opened up a total can of worms. This is the fugly side of my house, and I'm seeing a mini makeover over here. . . sweet.

18 comments:

Lisa Scibilia said...

Ooooooooh I want one!! Can I make this or does it require expert carpentry skills???

Spencer & Lorilyn Crum said...

You go girl! Adorbs!

Let me see if I can guess this right... You have 2x4's for the legs, 1x4's for the top and bottom framing, 1x3's for the bottom slats, and two 1x8's for the top two slats? Did I get it?!? A++++???

~ Tami said...

I love the way it turned out!
Tami @ Curb Alert!

Emily said...

That turned out awesome! I love that you can get an idea and within a couple of hours you know exactly how to build it and get it done. Have I told you how cool you are?

Dharma said...

You are my DIY Justin Timberlake. Word.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

I love it, Mandi! I want something just like this for my sunroom. I haven't been able to find one at any thrift or antique/flea mart. I am showing the picture of your finished piece to my hubby and telling him I want one!

Maureen said...

Mandi,

You are awesome!!! Yes, I am using that word a lot in describing you but it is the best word I can currently think of. I love how an idea pops into your head and you follow through and get it done. Me? The idea shows up, jumps up and down like the kids on your couch and finally gets mad and leaves due to lack of attention. One day I am going to pay attention to ONE and make all the other ideas jealous.

Maureen

Rach said...

It looks really good! So jealous.
You made me laugh too many times.

WhettenWild said...

That's cute! I never would've thought of that.

Renee said...

Love it!!! I've been wanting to do this myself!

Do you pre-drill where your screws go?

Veronica said...

I don't know how I missed the seedlings contraption. Love it! Unfortunately, my only south facing window is in my garage (too cold), so I built a growth light instead. I'll keep this idea tucked away for future reference. Love the potting bench!

SueAnn Lommler said...

Fabulous!!! I know what you mean how it opened up a can of worms. Been there...done that!!
It is a mystery how that happens but it does, every time.
Hugs
SUeAnn

Sue said...

Has anyone told you lately how totally talented, utterly amusing, and wildly creative you are? Been too long since I commented, but needed to let you know that you rock!

Leslie@leserleeslovesandhobbies said...

Love it! If you do decide to paint it that green color, I have some leftover paint in my basement that would be perfect. I believe it's called "Manchester". My husband calls it "Why Do I Keep Letting You Paint Walls Green? You Never Pick Good Green Colors". Yeah. And our contractor called it "John Deere Green". It's so not John Deere Green. John Deere Green is much brighter. But, I digress. If you want my green paint, I live in Idaho. It would probably be cheaper to just go buy your own gallon at Lowe's or Home Depot, especially with the price of gas, right?

Carolyn Dennis said...

Well, since you didn't give us a tute... you'll just have to make us all one! HA! It is super duper cute!

Rebecca D said...

You do know you are too much right? I totally love your little potting bench!! Did you plant your tomatoes yet? It is still too early to plant outside in our little corner of the artic circle!

Sharon Anne said...

I love it too, reconsider sharing plans. Or at least comment on the one commentor guesses. Thanks in advance. Darling bench!

Teri said...

It's adorable! :)