Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Moms Who Eat Their Feelings.

So, have you ever, like, had your kid come home from school (days in a row), and tell you they don't have a friend in the world? 

That they're wandering the playground, solo?

If you haven't, I'll just share how I feel, if ya don't mind. 

First: punched in the face.

Second: I'm reaching blindly for a cupcake every time I think about it.  In vain.

Anywhoooo (wipes crumbs from lips),


I'd like to talk about food, today. 


Source: memebase.com via Mandi on Pinterest

If ya don't mind.  'Cause I'm discovering, that I am that "comfort food" mom.  That "greet the children with an after-school snack" mom.



(they're just Rhodes.  Please don't expect more from me.)
I like to think it makes the house feel welcoming.  I also like to think that it's penance for screaming at my kids to get out of bed and get their dang shoes on each morning.

I hate to think that it may have something to do with not being able to get my shorts up my knees this year.

Let's quickly move on from that last thought.

Maybe this is a good time to apologize.



Um, if you're allowing your child to play at our house, I'm pretty much hopping your kids up on sugary goofballs, and then sending them back to you.  This is especially true on weekends, holidays, and days that I feel punched in the face.

Cupcakes, cookies, snow cones, eclairs, lemon bars, pies, cookies, cookies, cupcakes. . .

HOLY CRAP I AM SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR GIVING THE NEIGHBORS DIABETES.  This must stop.

Forgive me.

I like to think that I mix it up with some healthy stuff, too.


(The fruit parfaits, McD's style are a hit, by the by).

And these (thee, um, sprinkles are, um, vitamins. . .),



are a Pinterest FAIL.  I hate you person who took pictures of your cookies raw and passed them off as perfectly shaped "cooked" cookies.  "Cook" is part of cookies, don'tcha realize.

Kids still liked 'em.  'S all that matters.

But I could probably take corn syrup, roll it in a ball, and put it on a stick, and the kids would like it.  So that's not saying much.

Perhaps you could get cavities just looking at these pictures.  Let's move on from sugars.  Yes, let's.

For dinner,

this meat is so savory, that you would sell your birthright for some.

And these Swedish meatballs are so good,

and they're also a "SkinnyTaste" recipe, and that's all the excuse you ever needed.

You know, I'm just gonna stop there.  "I feel like such a heifer. I had two bowls of Special K, 3 pieces of turkey bacon, a handful of popcorn, 5 peanut butter M&M's and, like, 3 pieces of licorice. "

Seriously, though-- my after-dinner snack was somewhat similar to that.  Now where's my cupcake.

15 comments:

Ashlee @ I'm Topsy Turvy said...

I'm a food person too, and I wish I could greet my kids with treats, but I have to drive 20 mins to pick them up, and then another 20 mins home... no chance for fresh baked goodness, and it makes me sad. And since our school is so far away we never EVER have friends over, not that they have friends... (aspergers is kind of lonely)

Connie @ Measured by the Heart said...

I have had that same conversation with my daughter. Only it was sitting alone at recess. It's a punch in the gut. Even worse is what do you do about it?

SueAnn Lommler said...

Ha!! I feel your hunger...I mean your pain...I mean your discomfort!! I have been...ummm..snacking as well. It must stop!!!!
I will stop if you stop...k???
Hugs
SueAnn

Lisa Scibilia said...

I hop all the neighborhood children up on sugar too…..it's my job in life to be remembered as the house with the good food and the nice mom (at least to the neighborhood kids…..my own kids might debate that).
Poor babe that is wandering the playground solo….been there, and it's so heartbreaking. That's why God made someone who invented cupcakes!!

-Lisa said...

There is no pain worse than feeling the pain of your child and feeling helpless in regards to taking that pain away. I can remember the exact moment my son told me he was being bullied (not in those words). He was a 5th grader in a new school after a move. My world came to a screeching halt-even as I type this my stomach clenches in knots. I have no doubt your son will get through this just as my son did. Keep your sense of humor Mandi, laughter goes a long way.
And before you pop another button, step away from the cupcake!!!!
XO

Brandi said...

Reading about your child playing solo makes me sad. I remember my first day at a new school when I was kid. I sat at the lunch table all alone. The best part of that day was coming home to my mom who greeted me with a hug(and a cupcake!). Eventually your son will make friends and he will always remember how special his mom made him feel.

stephaniegiese said...

My oldest is starting kindergarten in the fall and he is kind of socially awkward, so this is one of my biggest fears.

I remember being a second grader at a new school and not having anyone to play with at recess. on my birthday one of the girls in my class felt bad for the new girl sitting by herself, so she offered to share her My Little Ponies.

Over 20 years later she is still my best friend and my daughter's godmother. :)

julie - eab designs said...

My daughters' friends, after all of these years, still know they will always find something in our kitchen that we just baked. They love to hang out here, which I'm thrilled about. Keep on baking! For as you know, there are always going to be times when we moms need to grab a cupcake (or two, or...) to ease our worries. I worry about everything and confess to sweating the small stuff, but kids are amazing and everything always seems to work out. Hoping your little one soon connects with that special friend!

Emily said...

I love food too! I will have to try those dinner ideas. And I am sure my girls would love it if I made some cookies. Although my cookies never turn out. I don't know what it is, so I just let others make them and then I eat them. Ü

WhettenWild said...

You are such a good mom. Sorry you feel sad about the kiddo. Give him a hug for me.

Dharma said...

I get it. On all accounts really. The little forlorn eyes looking at you saying "I have no friends at all, Mama..." and the shovel I stir my pots of food with because the older boy has a whole team over nightly.

It gets easier...on you, them....not on your too-tight shorts though :)

Laura at Ms. Smartie Pants said...

great food for thought... gotta go the snickers are calling me!

Rebecca D said...

I am pretty sure the teens only hang here because I am the only mom who whips up smoothees, funnel cakes, and now doughnuts from biscut dough on a moment's notice... One of the boys who is always around here regularly laments his mom's weight watchers diet... I think I too am responsible for early onset diabetes in half these kids. I do sneak in healthy stuff too!

Brooke said...

I am the very same way. I make muffins more than anyone I know.... any playdate with the kids included a fun food activity. oh well so far my kids are tiny and my jeans do fit. fail ps no I didnt do the molding myself ;)

Teri said...

Hugs to the little one with the friend-issues. I remember those days...and a supportive mom helps. He's lucky to have you.