Sunday, April 22, 2012

Karma's a B.

Last year,

we finally started piano lessons with my older boys. Yes, my piano does always have music all over it. 'N that's the way it should be.

So, how's it going? Oh, it's going. You know how it is:

at first the kids are excited. They want to learn. They're all fired up watching their progress.

And then. . . it kinda goes downhill. Like a knit sweater with a loose string. You know how it goes. Pull this thread as I walk away 'n all. . .

And by the end you're lying on the floor, lying on the floor. You've come undone.



Anyhow, if karma's a real thing, then I pretty much know what to expect, since I'm teaching my boys, and my mom once taught me. Let me tell you how this is gonna go down:

-I can expect 278 times of banging on the keys out of frustration
-3,093 times of "I hate this!"
-4,495 times of "I QUIT!"
-487 times of "I hate this and I hate you, Mom!" (runs off, slams door.)


I'm sorry, Mom.

And then you can expect from me:

-40,504 times of "It's okay to make a mistake."
-287,098 times of "Now, don't get mad at me!"
1,789,473 times of "No you can NOT quit!"
-5,923,345 times of "YOU'LL THANK ME LATER!" (as they run off and slam the door.)

Sorry, Mom. I want to take this moment to say, "Thank you." Later. As prophesied.

But moving on.

Eons ago,

I made my own bench for my piano. I wanted a big one. My "bench for big butts", I called it. I like big butts and I cannot lie.

Oh my gosh, Becky-- look at her butt. It is soo big.

Apparently I have awesome 90's songs on the brain.

Kay anyways-- originally it was covered in burlap. "Big mistake. BIG. Huge."

First off, burlap is kinda messy, isn't it? I mean I love burlap 'n all, but isn't it messy? And further more, does all burlap stink? All the burlap I've used kinda stinks.

Plus it doesn't hold up well under bums, apparently.

I wanted to make a really bad and totally stupid joke about acid farts but I refrained.

So I got to strip this thing on down and pull out a bunch of staples.


Picked out some new fabric at the Hob Lob, and apparently this is a fan favorite 'cause I've seen it a few places on the interwebs.


Ta da.


I'm liking this a lot better.

We'll see how long this holds up.

14 comments:

Tracy's Trinkets and Treasures said...

I like that fabric better too. I wish someone would have pushed music/piano lessons on me. I have NO musical talent at all.

Rebecca D said...

I love the fabric and it looks great on the bench. And YES, burlap stinks... and you think it's gonna stop smelling after awhile, but it just seems to get worse... I feel the same way about all those jute rugs I see all over the place.. Stinky!
Good luck with the lessons! I homeschooled for YEARS, but teaching them piano??? Not in my level of patience. I just knew they would never practice if it wasn't someone but ne holding them accountable, and I had enough stuff I was bribing them to do already, so even though I play, I sent them to lessons. (Call me a chicken!)

Whimsy-ma-blog said...

I like the fabric too. And instruments, ahhh! My son is taking violin and even though it's with a teacher instead of me, practicing is...trying. And I'm terribly afraid is 5 year old little boy body is going to bang something on the violin sometime when he's ready to quit! Pianos are so much more hardy!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Not to mention the itch factor while wearing shorts and playing the piano, Mandi! I can't do burlap on something people sit on. That's like asking a kid to wear that itchy wool sweater Aunt Margo gave them for Christmas. That fabric is one of my all time favorites. I did a chair seat in that almost two years ago and still have some left. In fact, I have a post set to go up today that used that fabric! : )

Good luck with the piano lessons!

Emily said...

I am so making my kids learn a musical instrument. I want one of them to play the violin, but so far Kayla want to play the harp.

Jean @ www.thebackyardbungalow.com said...

LOVE that fabric! Great job!

Aunna said...

I love the Weezer reference. And I can totally relate to banging the keys out of frustration. And now I'm itching to go to Hobby Lobby to find that gorgeous fabric!

Suesan said...

Burlap is stinky. I made some burlap curtains for my office and it stunk for months. It got better, but every time you touched it, the smell came back. I love the new fabric. It is a good fit in your room. Nicely done.

WhettenWild said...

I like what you picked as a replacement. That looks really good in that room. Hopefully it will hold up better than the last one.

ourhousetory said...

My mom enrolled me in violin lessons when I was 3. I wanted to quit--about a bazillion times. ;) I'm 28 now, and thank my mom each time I get the opportunity to play my violin...that she pushed me. I think you are right--your kids will appreciate it one day, just like both of us do today. (Love the new fabric).

Maureen said...

Mandi,

Bench - SO MUCH BETTER. And I never met a burlap that didn't stink. It smells like burlap.

Awhile ago you posted with a comment about "the colonel's eyes" and I was intrigued. Researched until I found out it was a quote from "So I Married an Axe Murder", well long story short (Too Late!), I rented it and laughed my @$$ off. I have a new favorite. Thank You so much!!! Too bad I didn't laugh off my stomache because that would have made more of an impact. You go right on quoting movies and I will go right on watching them. You have the best day ever.

Maureen

Teri said...

Your kids WILL appreciate it. From a teacher's standpoint, the brain development facilitated by music lessons is invaluable! And on a non-nerdy note - I LOVE your music room! That piano is gorgeous, and your bench is lovely! :)

Pattie said...

I love it! Perfect!

Sue said...

Fab room and awesome bench!! You almost had me stumped on the "Big mistake. Big! Huge!" reference. I couldn't move on until I figured out where I heard that before. Good one. PS - My dad made me play the organ. How uncool is that? LOL And, yes, he will thank you later for "making" him learn to play the piano. What a chick magnet!