Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Hold EVERYTHING.

It's been about 6 months since I've talked about one of my most exciting, most biggest of project dreams. Remember my wishes for an awesome pantry? Can I give ya little a hint? Throw ya a frickin' bone here?

Ahhh, yes. Sugar Pie Farmhouses' pantry dream. I stare at this picture, and I sigh.

I dreamt of something just like this in this little space I have here in my entry:
On the other side of the wall with my french door, is my pantry.
As seen here. So, can you see it? I dreamt of knocking out the wall behind my pantry and extending it-- having those big beautiful cabinets that stick out in front, possibly frame in the wall in the back and have a peek-through window. . .

  Let me tell you why I sat on this project for so long.  'N it's not just because it's a massive amount of work. Both these walls you see here?
Load-bearing. I am sooooo not messing with that. That alone was enough for me to re-think things.

  It wasn't even putting this project on "the back-burner", if you will; it was more like sticking it in the fridge and forgetting about it.

And then, for some reason-- I started thinking about it again. Perhaps it was that moment when I'm half awake in the morning, or perhaps it was when I was wasting all the hot water in the shower. Those are my best thinking times.

That was when I realized I'd been going about this alllllll wrong. Those walls up there don't need to be messed with.

 You know what this could be? Not an extension of the pantry, really. . . but more like it's own awesome space . . .

Perhaps it shall be, "The Larder".

Or, OR!!  It shall be "The Butler's Pantry".


It's where my Mr. Carson lives--

perhaps it's kinda like so.

And with shelves like THESE!



And the door on the side could be these cool swinging bar-type doors! Oh, ho my mind was going with ideas! Plans were formulated! Materials were purchased in my brain!

I even removed all my decorative items in that area. I cried a little, inside.

And then, and then. . . . the hubs kinda poo-pooed it. He's not sold on this "Butler Pantry/Larder" idea of mine.

And what is wrong with this idea??  I ask you??  Because if this wrong, well then, I don't want to be right.

I hope to convince him.  Make him his favorite cookies.  Rub his shoulders.  Show him pictures-- whisper sweet nothings in his ear.

Whatever it takes, people.  I am ready to get all up on this project.


And p.s., I'd like to kill whoever changed blogger around to this idiotic format.  Kill. 

That is all.

20 comments:

Layne Bushell said...

I think it is fantastic. All of it. And I think in the shower and now you know why my gas and water bills are so high. You could always just start the project and then he has to go with it.... just sayin'

Bethany @ A Fish Who Likes Flowers said...

Oh, I hope you change his mind! I know that you'd come up with something completely fantastic! Good luck, my friend!

P.S. It's nice to know I'm not the only one that completely hates the new blogger format. It really sucks!

-Lisa said...

Mandi!
We must immediately put together a petition out here in blogland and we will all sign it. If he doesn't change his fancy pants mind after seeing a list of signatures that could cirle the world TWICE then tell him you will give out your address and we will take care of the rest!
Best of luck!
XO

Lori said...

I know you can figure something out. What new format, I guess mine has not changed yet.

Teri said...

That pantry is gorgeous! Perhaps this calls for a painting-the-laundry-room-floor-style project? Just start it while he's out and then there's no going back?

Lisa Scibilia said...

Oh my gosh I love the ideas you come up with !!!!!

Seriously - use all your wiley female persuasions and this shall be yours - mwah ha ha ha!

Purely for my entertainment I might add!!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Beautiful, Mandi! I love these pantry pictures! I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed for you. : ) They are all just stunning examples of how a pantry can look pretty and be functional. You've got me wondering what I can do to our big closet pantry, with the sliding white doors. My hubby does want to change the wire shelves so maybe I can talk him into using decorative brackets in some way.

I hate the new format, too!

Stephanie said...

Smart move not to mess with the load bearing walls. That could be a bit of a mess.

Ditto on the hating of the blogger format. Who's dumb idea was that?

Stephanie said...

Smart move not to mess with the load bearing walls. That could be a bit of a mess.

Ditto on the hating of the blogger format. Who's dumb idea was that?

Stephanie said...

Smart move not to mess with the load bearing walls. That could be a bit of a mess.

Ditto on the hating of the blogger format. Who's dumb idea was that?

WhettenWild said...

You would rock that project! And it wouldn't hurt to have Carson around to take care of that lovely pantry either! ha ha!

Trina said...

You had me at Carson. I can't wait to see it!

Rach said...

HATE the new format! I've already lost two posts because heaven forbid I change something on them!! Argggg!
Good luck with the pantry ideas....

Maureen said...

Mandi,

I wish you the best of luck!

Maureen

SueAnn Lommler said...

I will help you hunt down and find the person who changed this format.
As for the butlers' pantry....cool idea.
Can't wait to see it. Cause I know you will win
Ha
Hugs
SueAnn

Suesan said...

Carson should be so lucky to have one of your creations to deal with. Jeff isn't gonna know what hit him! Can't wait to see your creation.

Emily said...

I have no doubt you can make this happen! I am excited to see it when it's all done.

Ashley said...

I absolutely love that pantry -- I just wish I had the room for something like that. I was wondering where you got the Tremayne & Co. clock -- I am assuming you made it and if so, do you have a tutorial. I have been looking for a large clock for our family room, but I don't want to fork out the dough for one.

Thanks, Ashley

R- said...

Just because they are load bearing walls doesn't mean you should abandon your dream. I've see lots of home improvement shows that show how to make the top of the wall bear the load while being open at the bottom. Not saying I know anything about it, but you could check with a professional. Then, onto your pantry!

Rebecca D said...

I was in full on lust for that pantry... I don't even have a handy-dandy spot for it like you do but was trying to cook up some crazy idea that would involve changing the direction of the cellar stairs when my daughter came over took my hand and led me to our current pantry... It is so messy and over stuffed you have to force the door closed... Someone spilled toothpicks on the floor months ago and there they lie... It is BAD... but I swore right then and there I would keep a new one clean and she put her hands on my sholders and looked me directly in the eye and informed me I am "not that kind of mom"... Ouch...