Tuesday, March 27, 2012

You Know The "Crazy Aunt"? Every Family Has One.

I might be that crazy aunt.

But allow me to defend myself! There's some things you should know before you question my sanity.

1. I really, really love my kids.
2. I really, really love my nieces and nephews.

3. I really, really love my kids playing with my nieces and nephews.

4. I really, really love summer.
5. I really, really love my kids playing with my nieces and nephews and having an awesome summer.

I'm so glad we could have this talk.

Now. Lemme 'splain. No, there is too much; let me sum up:

I have some pretty awesome friends that do "Grandpa Camp" for their grandkids. It's pretty much epic. Imagine a beautiful house by the lake, with your own dock-- summertime-- cousins, activities galore. . . sigh.

I am sooo doing Grandpa Camp. Or Grandma.

So when I saw "Cousins Carnival" on this site,

I knew I had to do this for all the kidlets. Must.

Dudes, it has invaded my brain and taken over. I am shocked I'm not dreaming of red and white stripes all night.

I probably would be if I wasn't watching "The Walking Dead" with the hubs right before I go to sleep. All I'm dreaming about, thanks to that show, is blowing the heads off zombies.

I can't recommend that show to you due to violence. (But it's so interesting and compelling). But no, I can't recommend it. (But it's just so crazy good. . . ) No. Don't watch it. I can't be held responsible for your nightmares.

Way off topic. Sorry.

So! The Cousin's Carnie!!! Let's talk shop. You know me, don'tcha? I'm not doing this "little".

It's gonna be big. It's going to be annual. Now, I could just, like, order some cute games from Oriental Trading Co. and be done with it,

but those are seriously like 12"x18". Tops. No rinky-dink sized games for me.

We are talking-- booths. Red 'n white striped booths. Twinkling lights. Games, tickets, prizes, caramelapplesandfunnelcakesandpopcornandsnowconesandcorndogs. . .

We're talking do it big, or go home, here. Good thing I'm starting almost 4 months early, 'cause I'm gonna need all the time I can get.

And behold the invitation! (I already sent it out to get the kidlets excited)

Oh Em Gee, I am in love with the invitation. But I'm not showing you 'cause I totally stole the design idea from someone's awesome wedding. Don't be mad, newlyweds! It's just going to a few little kids, okay??

So. . . wanna see the first game I've completed? It's called. . . "Kill The Clown."

That's a working title.

You know that game you play at like, Chuck E Cheese, and it's a clown face and you shoot the teeth out?

Geez, no one knows that game but me.

Well, same idea as described above. I'm using hardboard for all my games, here.
Please raise your hand if you know what a "projector" is.

That's what I used to trace my clown face. Then we got to work painting the clown.

And then?

His teeth hang from a peg in the back, and ya just knock 'em out with a beanbag.

Game one down.

6 more to go. Teehee.

21 comments:

Connie said...

You are too freaking awesome!

Laura at Ms. Smartie Pants said...

I can't wait to hear about it! I've read about cousins camp before, love the idea! I can't wait until I have grandkids!!!

Dee said...

Adopt me.

Bethany @ A Fish Who Likes Flowers said...

Wow, I thought I was the only "crazy" aunt out there! Well, technically I'm the favorite aunt with all my nieces and nephew, but you would completely blow me away if you were my competition. It looks like they are going to have so much fun. I can't wait to see what other games you have planned.

Lori said...

You will be the favorite Aunt, if you are not already!

Tracy's Trinkets and Treasures said...

I think I am a long lost cousin.............

SueAnn said...

Your so cool!! Okay..I will let you in for I am a certified member of grandma camp and have been for 20 years!! Ha!! Enjoy and definitely go over the top...I sure did!!
Hugs
SueAnn

Libby said...

well, I'm a loser Aunt AND Gramma...no such luck for my kiddie folk...I don't go big so I'm going home. now. sigh. I don't even get the clothes made I plan.

I love the idea and do have fun making and playing with the stuff you make!

Jennifer said...

I'm definitely the crazy aunt, but unfortunately my sisters were horrible at procreating and I only have one nephew who is almost 21. And my husband's side has 3 kids... all 1300 miles away from us. Ugh. I would so be doing something like that if we had cousins closer.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Sometimes the "crazy" aunt is the "cool" aunt, Mandi! This is such a great idea and I can't wait to see this all come together ~ and then the actual event. Love the invitations. How cute is that. You know all those kids are going to be asking their Mom's if it's time yet. For the next four months. Kind of like, "are we there yet?". I hope you are close with the Moms. : )

Emily said...

Can we be cousins? I love this idea! The kids are totally going to love it!!

Kimberly Pearlman said...

I'm super jelly right now! Could I get an invite? I promist to bring awesome prizes & food to share!! :)

Maureen said...

Mandi,

YOU ARE AWESOME!!! Now I know why you have so much extra wood in your garage. Hey, that reminds me, just fyi, [i'm whispering now] a little tour of the garage after your incredible clean-up/organization/surprise the husband thing would be great!
I am the crazy/favorite Aunt in my family. And those kids know it too! They should, I've been telling them that since they were brought home from the hospital. Hey, you can never start too early, right?

Maureen

Kassi @ Truly Lovely said...

This sounds like a blast!!! And about the Walking Dead... Dude. Hubs talked me into watching it and now we've seen every episode. I tried one night to think about the Hunger Games so as not to dream about zombies... Well I dreamed I was fighting zombies IN the Hunger Games. Sheesh...

Carolyn Dennis said...

You're CRAZY. And yes, that's all capital CRAZY. In a very good CRAZY way... but still CRAZY. The kids are a gonna FREAK. Huh, more capitals. You so have to rent a cotton candy machine. AND talk some adult into a dunk tank. I do think it would crossing a line to bring in live elephants... but short of that, CRAZY GOOD!

Carolyn Dennis said...

You're CRAZY. And yes, that's all capital CRAZY. In a very good CRAZY way... but still CRAZY. The kids are a gonna FREAK. Huh, more capitals. You so have to rent a cotton candy machine. AND talk some adult into a dunk tank. I do think it would crossing a line to bring in live elephants... but short of that, CRAZY GOOD!

WhettenWild said...

The kids still have the invite and look at it a couple of times a day.........and ask me how far away it is. haha

Rebecca D said...

First of all... Walking Dead??? THat show is freaking AWESOME! The only thing wrong with it is the short little seasons... My husband is so into it that he made our daughter wait an extra hour at work before he picked her up... The problem, the store closed at 9 so she had to walk across an empty parking lot to Wal-Mart and wander for an hour... What's worse? I was home and had no problem at all with it... If she is going to schedule work on her car she should plan to have it out of the shop before the weekend during "Walking Dead" season! (Am I right??)

As for the cousins carnival... You are not the "crazy aunt" you are the "ultra cool aunt!!" I may steal this idea one day in the future for grandkids! I think dentists everywhere are cringing at your first game, but I love it!

Spencer & Lorilyn Crum said...

I know exactly what game you're talking about, you use the gun thing and it goes "WOMP" and shoots out the balls. Unfortunately you could never turn it enough to shoot it at anything besides the clowns. I can't wait to see how this turns out, it's gonna be epic!!!

Jessie K said...

I pinned that very post with the idea to do the same! However, you are more awesome than me and have already committed yourself to it, whereas I'm still waffling! :P

Teri said...

Holy freaking crow, that's awesome! I will definitely have to remember this for when my nieces and nephews are a little older...and we live a little closer. I can't wait to see the pics!