Thursday, February 16, 2012

When Everything Needs A Backsplash.

Kinda going through a weird phase here lately--

apparently I believe that every bath/kitchen/water area is screaming for a backsplash of some sort.

Not even sure where this idea came from, really. But someone please stop me.

I'll tell you what sealed the deal, though:

this. Seriously? Are you seeing what I'm seeing? Adhesive and grout? All in one? No need to mix?

No way.

Sold. This is a breakthrough of epic proportions. This is like those bottles of peanut butter and jam! Right up there with the discovery of penicillin!

Anywho,

the other deal-sealer was this purty, 90% off glass mosaic I found at Lowe's this week.

Man, it pays to look through their clearance stuff.

I have something to tell you about me and the color blue. All this blue going around and through people's houses? I'm in love with it.

And yet-- I'm sceered. It seems totally fine in everyone's house but mine. Why? I feel like I'm bringing back the late 80's. You remember. Pink and blue? Large, dried flower sprays across the living room wall?

So I feel like I'm being a total rebel today. And it's gonna go right here:

Right underneath my dungeon bathroom mirror.

Huh-my mirror's dirty. So that's what happens when you never clean it. Interesting.

Dudes, you should have timed me-- I kidd you not, I started and finished the laying of said blue tile in. . . wait for it. . .

drumroll please. . . 15 minutes. Four dollars, 'n 15 minutes.

And then it had to sit for 24 hours and be grouted which took twice that time but we won't count that.

I wish all my projects were four dollars and 15 minutes. . .


Wanna see?
This is me, trying desperately not to show my reflection in my dirty mirror.

Because I'm in my jammies.

And my jammies might be my underwear.

And since I'm into little revelations today, don't set your wet trowel on your countertop, unless you want a rust imprint like me. Didn't see that? Well I'm sure ya do now.

15 comments:

gail said...

Love your tile! I bought that for my kitchen last year and took it back because the blues didn't match my counter tops. NOW I painted my counter tops, so it doesn't matter. Returning it made me sad, cause I really loved it.
Rust? you can try CLR or if you have a flat top ceramic stove, the cleaner you use on it may take out that rust. I use it on my porcelain sink.
good luck,
gail

Tracy's Trinkets and Treasures said...

I like it. I have a really ugly one in the hall bath, but I don't usually notice it or at least I try not to. When I painted David's room gray it looked like light blue and I was kind of freaking. It seems ok now, but my entire house is warm colors and this gray is so new to me. I still feel weird walking in there. Try a baking soda paste on the rust.

Heidi said...

Oooooh! I love the blue! I'm a sucker for that little glass tile! Now I"ll be digging through the Lowe's clearance stuff tomorrow!

Bethany @ A Fish Who Likes Flowers said...

I love the blue tile, although if you show any pictures of dried flowers arrangements I might have to stage an intervention.

And I wasn't going to say anything about the rust spot, because I'm nice like that ;)

Layne Bushell said...

all this talk of back splashes...ummm.... now I am going to HAVE to do one. I hate that my kitchen doesn't have one; it needs one desperately! I love the blue. It's always been one of my favorite colors. Were there more?

WhettenWild said...

I love that. That looks fab!

Rach said...

So jeal of your lowes shopping skills......I use that cleaner that's like comet but it's called bar something.....it's in a gold canister near comet and Ajax. Works on my kitchen rusty pans too....tmi?

SueAnn said...

Well now I see the rust...Ha! Thanks for pointing it out!!
Your backsplash looks fabulous!!
I have to do my kitchen...you inspired me
Hugs
SUeAnn

Lori said...

I so love it and want to frame my master bath mirror like that too. Something has to work on that rust stain?

Sara said...

A handy dandy Magic Eraser will take off that rust stain. I did the same thing with a paint brush :o)

Emily said...

Four dollars and fifteen minutes, can't beat that! It looks awesome!

Karen said...

Dang, Girl, you make me laugh. Love the backsplash. and the rust spot 'cause it is so totally something I would do ;0)

Mallory said...

I was just telling my husband about the four quintessential late 80s-early 90s colors: hunter green, burgundy, mauve, and DUSTY BLUE. He didn't know what dusty blue was.

Your blue is not dusty though. Your blue is classy! I like.

Libby said...

For some reason I never thought of that...I have two baths, well, three including the scarey one in the basement that could use a treatment like that. Beautiful work.

So, if you can't get the rust off will this mean a new vanity?

Teri said...

Mandi, this is GORGEOUS! I am so impressed with how quickly you made that happen! I just might have to look into some clearance bins myself...