Tuesday, February 21, 2012

And The First Shall Be Last, And The Last Shall Be First.

I find stupid irony in that we've just barely gotten to changing out our bathroom floor.

When we first saw our house, the only thing we didn't like was the carpeted water closets.

"Yeah, the house is great, but the carpet near the toy-toy's have to go."

And after 58,854 other projects, we finally decided to do the deed.

And do I love my new, stone floor? Does a one-legged duck swim in circles?

You deserve to know a few things about travertine. It's pretty. It's worth it. But it also needs thicker backerboard, more expensive mortar, and a pretty steeply priced sealer. So there's that.

Learned a few things these last 5 days of hard work.

It is darned inconvenient to be without one's master bath.

We both decided we detest showering in all the other bathrooms. Consequently, we might only have had one shower in all that time. . .

Ever gone past the B.O. phase and to something more. . . sinister? Oh. Well, me neither.

Little pet peeve here. Picture it:

middle of the night, you're sound asleep, and you have to get up or your bladder might explode. So. Annoying. (and if you have that dream one more time that you're sitting on the can, you might just go ahead and go. Or do just I have that dream?)

Allow me to one-up that pet peeve: waking up, having to go, and stumbling around to find that you do not, in fact, have a working toilet, so you get to stumble around in the dark to drain the main vein elsewhere.

Is it too much to ask to use one's own shower? To actually. . . shower? To get the plunger and the toilet scrubber out of the tub and back where it belongs?

And, by golly, if one must drop the kids off at the pool, that there is one's very own toilet for that?

I missed you, bathroom. There. I said it.

17 comments:

Connie @ Measured by the Heart said...

It's gorgeous! Can a bathroom be gorgeous??

Attempting Aloha said...

I've said it once, and I'll say it again, "tile's a pain in the arse."

But it's beeyouteeful.

;)

Aloha,
Charlie

Emily said...

Looks beautiful! I want tile in my bathroom. Wanna come put it in for me?

Layne Bushell said...

It's so pretty...love the color choice...love it! Just remember it's a cold surface at night so keep your slippers by your bed!!!

julie - eab designs said...

love, love, love! We do have tile, but it's the small standard white ones. Now I want travertine! A new item for our to do list.

Faith, Trust and Pixie Dust said...

OK, I'll admit it, I've had that dream too . . . alot! Also the one where . . . oh, never mind. Glad you got your bathroom back. You're going to love your tile.

Warmly, Michelle

Trina said...

When I read about wanting to use the shower, I thought it was in reference to the previous paragraph - HA!

The tile looks beautiful!

Sandra Hoogland said...

Awesome!!! ♥
But don't you hate the cold tiles under your feet when you have to go in the middle of the night? And then it takes aaaaages to warm the feet up again... Still never would change my tiles to carpet!!! :)

Whimsy-ma-blog said...

I just had that dream a couple nights ago! Then I woke up convinced I'd just peed in the bed. But after reassuring myself that I hadn't I decided I didn't really have to go THAT bad, and I figured, what were the chances of having the dream again, right away? SO I went back to sleep.

I bet my internal voice - you know, that one that likes to warn you when you're about to do something stupid - thinks I'm an idiot.

Wow, that was a long ramble. Your floor looks beautiful. And I love the toilet by my room. I'd cry if it weren't there.

Nicki Rocky said...

Love the travertine. Very jealous!

Spencer & Lorilyn Crum said...

OKAY this looks fantastic, and it makes me think I probably really need to get on finally grouting my bathroom downstairs :) You're so lucky you have a master bath, all I have so a closet-sized bathroom across the hall. Jeaaallooouuuzzzzz.

Did I ever tell you that you're my hero?

WhettenWild said...

It so pretty! I love it!

Belchamber4 said...

It looks great. I love the tile. Being a bathroom down is reason to keep putting it off. But it is done now and LOOKS FAB!

beccalouise said...

That looks great! I had a bathroom with blue carpet before and it was wet much of the time, I feel your pain! :0)

Libby said...

it is beautiful...and the gold shower looks just right now.

How about the dream you're an elephant and are spraying your trunk full of water? I did wet the bed, but in my defense I was only 7. years. old. not 7yrs ago. (it scared me deeply in that when I start having the "sitting on the toilet" dream I get up and use the biffy!)

we only have a toilet room in our bedroom...just the toilet. The sink is in the bedroom. Odd set up.

Leslie@leserleeslovesandhobbies said...

Oh, Mandi, I feel you in so many ways. Feel in a good way. I was without a master bathroom for the last half of my second pregnancy. We decided that was a good time to do an extension on our bedroom and bathroom. I was without a shower for four months waiting for the correct shower glass to get installed. Long story. Also, I have that dream too. It usually takes the dream happening three times in a row before I get up and go.

Teri said...

Nope. I have the toilet dream too.