Sunday, January 1, 2012

If You Wish It, It Will Come.

I don't even know why or how,

but not long ago, I had it stuck in my head that I just had to have a tile backsplash in my kitchen.

And you know me. Don'tcha.

I started looking. Searching. Investigating, if you will.
I turned to Pinterest for some inspiration:

because we all know by now that Pinterest is thee best, relevant, search engine out there.
(Oooh, that white subway tile is just like what Elena has in her kitchen! Lowe's sure does not have that fancy "stencil-y" tile. Holy frijoles!? They make glass tile now?? What the what?)

And then I walked up and down 'n up 'n down Lowe's tile aisles, studying and pricing things out.

And it's when I checked out the price tag for just one 12x12 tile mosaic, that I knew I was totally hosed.

Seriously? Seriously? Would I drop nearly $200 on a small, needless tile backsplash?

Nein, Fräulein.

Couldn't I get this, at, say, a fourth the cost? Or an eighth? IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK??

And then, it happened. One day, as I walked past the tile section:

there they were. Glass tile mosaics.

AT 90% PERCENT OFF.

Now! Ssssshhhh. Shush. Don't tell me you don't like this color scheme. Don't burst the bubble. Don't poop on the parade.

Because this project? Instead of nearly $200, it will now cost me under $20.

Yep-- a whole box full-- an entire project-- for less than what it costs me to feed the butt munches at McDonald's. So I don't care if people don't love it. Heck, I don't care if I don't love it.

Honestly, it's really, really totally got it going on with what's going on in my kitchen.  Honest.  And one day, when the whole kitchen gets a remodel, I'm not gonna cry about $15 of glass tile, knowhatI'msayin'?

And the hubs was all,

"So when are you gonna start this project, then?" With a raised brow.

Oh, in a week. Maybe a month or more. Or maybe tonight.

Yeah, I'm thinking maybe, like, now.

18 comments:

Heidi@TheCraftMonkey said...

90% off! Seriously for that price it's worth it just as a "practice" round! Can't wait to see!!

Tracy's Trinkets and Treasures said...

I happen to like those colors. They will go with our cabinets and if your husband ever lets you paint them white it will go with white cabinets too!. If I stayed as busy as you I wouldn't have to run to keep my pants fitting. I babsat 2 little kiddos the other day and wondered how you do it all.

Bethany @ A Fish Who Likes Flowers said...

Awesome! I can't wait to see the finished result.

julie - eab designs said...

Yes - I love it! I'm also super jealous as we currently have no back splash. Happy tiling!

Michelle Johnnie said...

Great deal!!!! I think it will look very nice. Nothing wrong with the color.

Next thing you will be noticing the open shelving in all those kitchens you pinned and will be doing that too!

SueAnn said...

Wowzers! That price is insane!!
Have fun with your new glass...wow...tile!!
Hugs
SueAnn

Teri said...

I think it's gorgeous! I can't wait to see it! :)

Lori said...

Lucky, lucky you! What a STEAL. You did pay right? Not just tuck it under your arm and run? Lori

Dede said...

WOW, 90% off??? You are awesome at finding great deals like that! Love it and can't wait to see it!

Suesan said...

Beautiful! If anyone can make neutrals stand up and take notice, it is you. They are going to look great. I'd love to add glass tile to my kitchen. Maybe one day.

Shirley said...

Oohh, oohh, I love those ! And I need some backspashin' in my kitchen too!

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

Are you tiling as I type? Can't wait to see how this comes out. I did the backsplash in my last house, but nothing seems to go with the bologna countertops in the current abode!

Hope your new year is off to a great start! Thanks for sharing so many fabulous projects and funny stories in 2011!

Laura @ Laura's Crafty Life said...

What a score! I really want the glass mosaic tile in my kitchen but it is way out of the budget for now. That is an awesome find. :)

WhettenWild said...

Knowing you, you already have it done=)

Layne Bushell said...

Boy do you have an eye for a bargain. That is soooo sweet! I so want a needless backsplash too. I think it would make my kitchen look happy....maybe I see another Mandi/Layne project ahead wink wink nod nod

Emily said...

That is awesome that you found it for cheaper! My mom just bought some like that for around her fireplace. It looks nice!

Spencer & Lorilyn Crum said...

Gah I'm so excited for this project! Please finish it asap and post pictures, just because I want to see it. I want to do ours eventually, but like you said, most tile is freaking expensive so I haven't wanted to make the investment yet. Good luck and I can't wait to see the results! PS I see what I believe is pre-mixed mortar, trust me girl, that is the ONLY way to go. I've done on mix it yourself and it is absolute H E double hockey sticks. I swore after my last project I will never NEVER use unmixed mortar again. PSS when you do the grouting, the buddy system works great. Make one of your kids or friends be the sponge-wringer while you be the grouter and wipe downer. It goes so much faster and is much less messy.

Leca said...

I don't care what it looks like. That's sale stories for generations to come. Insperation I tell ya!