Sunday, December 18, 2011

It's a Love/Hate Relationship.

Picture it:

1977. Or somewheres around there. The Daddy-o makes my sister a smokin' hot awesomesauce dollhouse.

I'm telling you, it was the bomb diggity. You need to see a picture of it. I looked and looked. Mom: get right on that and dig up a picture, would you?

Imagine: 3 stories, spiral staircase, wrap around porch, yellow,shag, carpet, people.

So I've pretty much had it in the back of my head that I'd make one for my little girl one day, too. Maybe not shag carpet- but you know, awesomesauce.

And then,

Ana's Dream Dollhouse plans sealed the deal.

It's pretty much all I've been up to the entire week.

Measuring, cutting, pre-drilling, cussing,

and so forth. It's taken over my bedroom, and it's taken me forever. And it's not because I insisted upon watching Vampire Diaries at the same time. I'm telling you, forget Edward and Jacob. Because it IS ALL ABOUT Damon & Stefan.

I am not obsessed.

But I digress.

I have been soo excited to do this project. And yet, and yet--

I hate this project. It's been a pain in my behind. It's not about trying to watch Vampire Diaries and work at the same time, okay?? Gosh.

But I'm glad, nay, overjoyed, to tell you, that the construction of this dollhouse is DONE.

And I've got ginormous plans for decorating it. And this, I am excited about.

Check out my butt. Shingles. Hee.

Grab my butt. Shingles. Hee.

If there were points for maturity, I just lost, like, 50.

Yep. Big plans for decor.

Wanna see how big this bad boy is? 'Cause Ana's picture up top there doesn't really show ya.

It's pretty much massive. Fingers crossed it even fits in her room.

17 comments:

Tracy's Trinkets and Treasures said...

I would died for this when I was little....if you need to know how to make a barbie waterbed....no nails, screws or wood involved let me know. :)

Emily said...

My husband just finished making this for our little girl and I'm so excited about it. I'm still figuring out how I want to paint/stain it though. Someday I will learn how to use a saw and such so I can do things myself. I'm totally with you on vampire diaries though. Totally beats Twilight.

Emily said...

Your dollhouse was the coolest EVER!! I loved the shag carpet!! I know that McKenna will live it as much as we did!!

And the vampire diaries ROCKS right! I'm glad you are watching it!

Laura at Ms. Smartie Pants said...

I have always thought I would make one of those later in life, like for myself when my kids were grown, but since I have realized I would only like the decorating part, nto so much the measure, build, precision part so I marked it of the list!

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

You are such a better mom than me! I'm much too lazy! Your daughter will LOVE it! (Love your bathroom sign and door from the prior post!)

SueAnn said...

O.M.Geeeee!! It is huge!! She is gonna flip out for sure.
Can't wait to see it finished
Hugs
SUeAnn

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

I always wanted a real dollhouse!!! It's going to be gorgeous!! Lucky baby girl that you have! Please show pictures all decorated. Will it have dark stained treads and a sisal runner???? Pimped out pantry? Board and batten hallway? Built in shelves for spices and bathroom toiletries??? No pressure, no pressure :)

Lori said...

Wow it is huge. The dollhouse, not your butt in the picture. Sorry, you made me do it. She is going to love it.

cehendricks said...

How awesome are you?! I have been dreaming/shopping for a doll house for baby girl since I found out I was having a girl. Now I just have to wait until she's old enough to play and enjoy one. If I follow your lead and make her one she might be finished correctly by the time she has a daughter (she's 2 weeks shy of her first birthday). Hehe.

Creative Decor by Brooke said...

Ha, I made one for my daughter too, years ago. I really like how this one is open all the way around. Mine was just open on the front. Loved decorating that thing, got a little obsessed. Made a barn for her Breyer horses too. Those were the days, trying to keep it all secret. Fun, Fun.
Brooke

Spencer & Lorilyn Crum said...

OMG MANDI I AM OBSESSED WITH THAT SHOW! I freakin love Damon, but I find Stephen to look a little like Lurch sometimes with the way he holds himself. During Thanksgiving I went on a bender and just watched VD's all weekend. Spencer was a little disappointed in me but I didn't care.

Also, that doll house is going to be so epic. I can't wait to see the finished result.

Teresa said...

My husband made this and I'm working on decorating it now. It's going to be late nights this week. And yes, it is massive!

Carrielyn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ashlee said...

Seriously, great minds think alike, right? I just finished my daughter's dollhouse for Christmas. You should come see it.
http://crafting-cousins.blogspot.com/2011/12/dollhouse.html

The Matthews Family said...

Wow I wish I had seen that doll house pattern a few months ago! My dad built my daughter a doll house for Christmas this year. We couldn't find any doll house plans, so he spent HOURS coming up with his own. Man, should have looked harder for plans! Looks great!

Jen said...

What a lucky little princess!! I cannot wait to see how you decorate this thing! Will you be able to get that monstrous thing out of your bedroom and down to the tree? WOW!

Teri said...

Butt shingles. Hehe.