Sunday, December 4, 2011

Down To The Dungeon.

If you've been with me a while, then you know I refer to our basement as "the dungeon". Even though we finished it this year; still the dungeon.

Anywho--

Remember this disaster/catastrophe of our TV being broken?

I still shudder when I see this picture.

Well, after it got fixed, we got TV Armor to protect it. And that TV Armor made already severe window glare much, much worse.

Wanna watch a show in the middle of the day? Well then, hope ya don't mind the window reflection semi-permanently burned into your rods and cones.

Yee-ah. It was an issue.

Do you own plantation shutters? If you do, I want you to know that I love your plantation shutters. I covet them.

So, um, guess how much plantation shutters would be on our huge basement windows? Even checking the "cheap" websites and such?

Nearly $300. Yep. Three hundred buckaroos.

PER window.

I put my foot down. No way in H was I spending that much on mere shutters. I can think of a lot of things to do with 600 big ones.

So?

I would like to take credit for this idea. But alas, it's not mine. To my everlasting surpreese, it's the hubs idea.

Don't think I'm a jerk. I've said it before and I'll say it again: the hubs is a perfectionist. There's one right way and everything else is wrong. So this is a definite "thinking outside the box" moment for him.

Go Jeffro, go.

Here's what you do:

get yerself some doors. Now, I go to Lowe's like every other day, and so when I went, I asked the Door Dude (I think his name is "Jason") if he's got a dinged up door he'll sell to me on a discount.

Hey-- I don't want to pay full price for 4 doors-- that defeats the purpose. (Ahem; one of the doors I got I paid as low as $3 for. Serious.)

And then, you saw them right down the middle on "Jaws".


Jeffro, that drill hanging from your belt is totally boss.

I'm not laughing at you! I'm laughing next to you.

Seriously though you'll probably see me hang the drill from my belt next time I work, too. So sick of searching around for the dang thing.

And so?

Get yourself and install some closet tracks.


Make it pretty and cover it up with some molding, and you've got:

Very cheap, and VERY effective blinds.

Dudes, do you wanna see just how effective these blinds are?? Huh? Huh?

I know, right??

Bad to the bone for TV viewing.

But kinda bad for the whole "dungeon" darkness feel. . .

22 comments:

lancy said...

Nice blog..

window shutters toowoomba

SueAnn said...

Hey! It works! Gotta see the TV!!
I think this cool!!
Great solution
Hugs
SueAnn

Lori said...

Great idea. Maybe a couple of those light sensored plug in night lights would help you be able to find the stairs when the movie is over.

Shirley said...

Ooh, Ooh, Mr Kottaar!!! I know, I know! Ya need some black lights mounted behind the tv!! Wouldn't that rock? (She says with an evil grin, rubbing her hands) Stage right, your hubs is waving his hands no in horror. He did an awesome job! :)

Mandy @ Sugar Bee Crafts said...

so smart!!

Cathy M~(checkitoff) said...

Mandi, I love all of your recent posts and cannot believe how much you accomplish with 4 kids!!!! This was a great idea and so solid!! btw, love your new island (jealous of Daddy~o"s talent) and your new fireplace/mantel rocks!! It is very similar to mine except mine has a bit more beveling of the wood inserts. Can't get a good pic of it since the light shines down on it and winter gloom has set in here! ummm, you went ahead and rocked the project anyhow!! keep up the awesome work! hugs, cathy

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

Ditto on what Cathy M said - do you ever sleep??
What a great solution - very impressive thinking on behalf of your husband!

Emily said...

That is such a great idea!! Way to go Jeff!

Suzanne@Meridian Road said...

Genius! Pure genius.

love letters to e and g said...

genius...i have plantation shutters...but my brother in-law has a company so I did my entire house for 1500..I know a steal!
I love the creative use of the doors and sliders...I bet u will start a trend...love it!

Julie {BuildSewReap} said...

Wow, those DO look great, your hubs does fantastic work!!

In other news - do you not have one of these: http://www.pinktoolbelts.com/

I love mine. It has all the functionality of a man's belt but is built a wee bit smaller for a woman's body. LOVE IT!!!

Laura @ Laura's Crafty Life said...

So clever!

WhettenWild said...

Good idea!
I never would've thought of that!

Crystal said...

That's a great idea! Can I ask you a question? Where did you get your couch? I love it!

Kelly Marie McKee said...

This is a 'WOW' for me! Looks fantastic. So very inventive!

Stephanie said...

What a freakin' wonderful solution...props to Jeffro!

Twice Nice said...

Brilliant solution!

Heidi@TheCraftMonkey said...

Man that hubs of yours is brilliant! Those look awesome and apparently work awesomer! :) Love it!

Renee said...

Love it! ...I also love that you're on 1st name basis with the Lowe's dude!

Two Dollars said...

I was thinking the rail was going to be on the outside so you can push them completely open - like what people have been doing with barn doors lately. Might make it less dungeony :)

-Stefanie
2ndChanceCreations.etsy.com

Teri said...

Wow - what a brilliant solution! Props to Jeffro. ;)

Periwinkle Paisley said...

That is just badass! I love that idea.