Thursday, December 1, 2011

Caution: May Contain Awesome.

I simply must tell you what the Daddy-o's been up to these days.

Among many other things, they're working on a massive kitchen reno. And while I'll definitely get into all a that some other time, I want to tell you about this awesomesauce project you see here.

Picture it: Sicily, 1920. Er, I mean, picture it: the daddy-o talks about big plans for a new kitchen island:

"It will be on wheels, so you can move it out of the way. The whole entire top will be a lazy susan. And the sides will have drawers and pull-out seats for all the grandkids."*

*not a direct quote.


I'll be honest with you-- I thought the daddy-o's plans were unattainable.

Thought they were too grandiose, and I thought he'd give up and go with something simpler. 'Cause I know I would.

Daddy-o, I'm sorry for underestimating you. It won't happen again.

I want you to know that this entire thing was paneled and detailed with "the shaper", all done by the Daddy-o.

As far as I know. I'm not gonna bet on that or anything.

And here we are with a beautiful dark stain and 4,508 coats of poly.
Also, your gay-rage floor is looking more like mine every day, Dad.

So? Ready for a little look-see of how this kitchen island comes alive?
Transformers style?
(Ee-rrr-eerrr-rr; that's the Transformer transforming sound effect)

Voila. Do you see this? Every side pulls out to make a bench strong enough to hold two grandchildren. Each. They have their own little table. On each end.

See it inside? Sure.

Huge, roomy drawers-- I swears all the dishes I own could fit in here.

And the top? Just like he said. The entire working space lays on casters and can be spun a full 360°.

One last thing.

Look down. Down, down down. . . there. See underneath? Another entire lazy susan is under the whole thing for yet more storage.

So all that's left to say is,

Where can I get one??

49 comments:

Shirley said...

No, my question is, can I have the Daddy-O as a Christmas present?? Pretty please??

Jessie K said...

Mandi: You're dad is a GENIUS!!! I wanna know where I can get one, too!!!

Suesan said...

That Daddy-O is the bees knees. I'm with Shirley. I want a Daddy-O for Christmas.

Laura at Ms. Smartie Pants said...

A-MAZE-ING!!!! Grandmothers all over the world need these! Wait a minute I'm not a granma and I need one! What a brilliant idea! I think they Duggars could use about 5 of them and not need another thing in the kitchen! ;)

Laura @ Laura's Crafty Life said...

Wow! That is amazing! So functional and it looks great too! What a great Daddy you have. :)

~ Laura said...

My. Mind. Is. Blown!

Your Daddy-o is amazing!!! To conceive AND build such an unusual piece of furniture that works is stunning!! It is a masterpiece!!!!

You are definitely an acorn that fell close to the tree!! :)

meganwiser said...

Awesome! He could sell those and bankkk!

Connie @ Measured by the Heart said...

I wish I had a daddy o.

Sylvia said...

Holy Cow...errr Carpenter!! That is amazing!!!

Donna @ Snowbound said...

That island is pure awesomeness! I'm showing that to my husband right away!!

ckm. said...

That island is uh-MAY-zing. Seriously amazing. (Also love the Golden Girls reference early on in the post there).

Bee said...

All I can say is... Holy Crap!

Rach said...

Genius. What talent!

Suzanne@Meridian Road said...

Wow! Rarely are functional things that pretty. Or even that functional. He did a fantastic job on that!

Tanya said...

That is one super cool island! LOVE it!

Trina Rae said...

Whoa-ness.

That's all I've got.

Whoa-ness.

Danielle Breedlove said...

That is absolutely beautiful. Kudos to your dad. I see where you get your handy-woman skills. (:

Danielle Breedlove said...

That is absolutely beautiful. Kudos to your dad. I see where you get your handy-woman skills. (:

Danielle Breedlove said...

That is absolutely beautiful. Kudos to your dad. I see where you get your handy-woman skills. (:

Hayley said...

WHAT??? That is incredibly awesome.

M Mommy to 4 said...

I emailed the link to my dad because, as AWESOME as I think it is, since he's a builder he'll actually be able to appreciate ALL of the work that went into it! It's fantastic!

Angela said...

No kidding, this is the most awesome creative thing I've seen on a blog in a long time. And I have to admit I look at a lot of amazing blogs. What a neat family you must have.

Emily said...

Yeah...Where can I get one of those! That is awesome! Your dad is awesome!

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

All I can say is your dad rocks and the apple didn't fall far from the tree!! What a great grandpa designing that whole island around the grandchildren!! So cute!

Layne Bushell said...

Now I knew that Daddy-o was a pretty cool guy. That's for sure. But HOLY CRAP...he just climbed 1000 notches in my book....that is pure awesomeness! BTW when is their next trip so you can sneak me in for the real-live tour of his house....I'm sure I could spend hours in it looking at his masterpieces!

Megan said...

WOWIE, WOW, WOW! Your dad could be marketing these bad boys for big bucks! This is AMAZING and BEAUTIFUL! How awesome that he made this for you! It's just beautiful!

The Miller Five said...

Unreal. I just came over from I Am Momma. I am stunned. That is the most amazing thing I have ever seen.

Jennifer said...

This is the most amazing project I have seen yet! I wish I had room in my kitchen for one. Fantastic!

SueAnn said...

Wowzers!!! Amazing island!! I love it!
Hugs
SueAnn

Spencer & Lorilyn Crum said...

Um, excuse me while I pick my jaw up off the floor. This is absolutely amazing.

Leca said...

Holy Crapanonies! That is simply amazing! YOur dad rocks!

Jen said...

Yes please!!!!
Add me to the list!

OkieMama said...

Um, WOW. It's apothecary-ish to boot! Full on jealous.

kristen said...

Wow. I was expecting it to transform to some sort of dish cleaning robot by the time I got to the end of the post :) That is INCREDIBLE. You are a very lucky girl to have a Dad like that :)

crafterellasisters said...

Wow! Amazing!

Andrea said...

This is fantastic!!!

JJ@SundayInTheCountry said...

*Speachless*

Jen said...

Wow! Just....WOW!!!

Twins Squared said...

This is fantastic. My grandfather was a carpenter and his idea of making a table was finding an old door and sticking some legs on it. I wish I were kidding! Tell your dad great job!

WhettenWild said...

Dad rocks. nuff said =)

catie said...

um, that is the MOST EPIC KITCHEN ISLAND EVVVVVEEEERRRRRRRR! ever. period. i want one!

Erin {Lavender and Lemon Drops} said...

Oh MY! This is seriously the jaguar of kitchen islands! Holy smokes! Great job daddy-o :)

Holly U said...

Whoo-ee, this is seriously impressive! Your dad is in a league by himself!

Crafty Cousins said...

That is freaking awesome!

~Nat

Daddy-O said...

Thank you all for your awesome and kind comments. You have made my day -- I mean my week -- OK,OK, my year!

OkieMama said...

Pinterest worthy. Just pinned!

Britni Wing said...

Oh my goodness. That's amazing!

Dee said...

Is it weird that I want to borrow your dad?

Teri said...

Ask your dad if he'll marry me. He brings the tools, I'll bring my mediocre cooking skills and excessive cheeriness.