Tuesday, November 29, 2011

The Mantel. Above The Mantel.

You know I love my mantel the hubs made for me, don'tcha?

Yep- had it for nearly two years, now. And I still wuv it. I've been content to just decorate it, switch it around. . .

And then, and then. . . I started seeing these mantels, above the mantels.

Like this 'un.


and this 'un.
Source: bhg.com via Mandi on Pinterest

and my personal favorite:

Source: bhg.com via Mandi on Pinterest





I mean, hello? More opportunity to spread the molding love? I knew it had to be mine. . . mine, my precious. . .

And so, like all the wild 'n crazy ideas that pop into my noggin, I got to work, right away.

Down came all the crap, including the vinyl clock and gears I put up.

I know, I know. That Glade (fresh linen scent) is the only decorative item anyone ever need.

And it felt . . .just. . . nude.

Regard that this wall reaches towards the heavens. I felt that it could use a little grounding.

Okay I just made that last part up. I wanted to feel less impulsive and more . . . premeditative.

I want you to know that I thought this plan was like, ssooo epic. Got some 1x4's and ran them through the shaper.

And it is now snowing sawdust.

Are you seeing this lovelyness? Boring board to lovely (and super cheap!) trim?


Not only did I have my homemade trim, but the Daddy-o was so kind as to help me route them so they fit together. Like a paneled door, you know?

Can you see it? It was awesome.

Now's the time to tell you it was a big, fat, FAIL.


Take a little look-see at this picture again, would you now?

I swears I line-of-sighted these bad boys, but they are so friggin' bowed. Caulk, more trim. . . I racked my brain trying to salvage my beautiful molding.

And there it sat. Mighthaps you noticed it out of the corner of your eye when I unveiled my new floor.

And if you did, I now dub thee "Hawkeye".

And so, as you might suspect, it all came down. I couldn't make it work. And paneling the boards is a serious pain in the you-know-what-where.

And so, in my discouragement and misery, I turned to my friend, plywood.

Yes. Plywood, agayan. "Met the President, agayan."

At this juncture you're probably a tad concerned about my relationship with plywood.

Wanna see? Well, do ya?

Ta Da.

Oh, let's just dress it up a little. Just for fun.
Here it looked on Thanksgiving Day:


And for Christmas:

and New Years, and Valentines, and Easter, and Memorial Day, and Summer solstice, and and and. . .

17 comments:

Kimbo West @ a girl and a glue gun said...

love. love...did i mention love? pinterest is dangerous for you...!

Kimbo West @ a girl and a glue gun said...

i feel awesome to be the first to comment. just saying.

Kimbo West @ a girl and a glue gun said...

and the second...

Emily said...

I love the mantle above the mantle!! It looks fantastic!!

Suesan said...

Awesome. Pure Awesomesauce. Those Pinterest pics got nothin' on you. So, a couple of questions. 1. Is it plywood over the sheetrock, or is it plywood over the whole area with more plywood on top? 2. What exactly is the shaper. I'm thinkin' I need one of those bad boys.

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

LOVE IT! And the floors - they are GORG!!!!!!! And that picture of you doing the leap of joy is the best!
This is on my to-do list - cover up the painted brick - I've pinned about 47,003 fireplaces on Pinterest but of course love yours the best :)

Lesley said...

Okay. So...I know that right at this time, I am suppose to tell you how much I love your mantel and your new floor, BUT....I am completely taken by YOUR HAIR in the floor reveal pic!!! IT IS AMAZING!!! Wow! What an amazing head of hair on you missy. I hope you appreciate every gorgeous lock!! LOL The mantel extension is nice too. LOL

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

WOW - it looks amazing!

COTTAG3 said...

I'm reading your post while looking at my fireplace mantel. Hmmm....I think I could do that.

Heidi@TheCraftMonkey said...

disgustingly beautiful!! Can you bring your plywood and nail gun and come play at my house? mmmkay?

Laura at Ms. Smartie Pants said...

Can I borrow you? or how about some of your energy???

Michelle Johnnie said...

Beautiful!

Kerrye said...

Agree. Hair to die for! Makes me want to go wash mine and try and fix it up a little...

SueAnn said...

I love your mantel and the hardwood floors are amazing!
Hugs
SueAnn

Spencer & Lorilyn Crum said...

This is great! I would love to do some architectural detail like this above ours, but Mr. "We need to leave things in their original state" would never let me.

Kara said...

So sorry it didn't work out the first time. What a pain in the pahookie! But it sure looks gorgeous now!! I am loving the whole Christmas arrangement!

Teri said...

It sucks that your original work when to waste, Mandi, but the finished product is stunning! So regal-looking! :)