Friday, September 2, 2011

Letting The Cat Out Of The Bag.

Dudes-- I've been hard at work.

Remember the other space of doom?

Well, if I were, like, totally cool, and didn't always have ants in my pants, I'd finish the whole thing and then do a BIG REVEAL.
(monster truck rally voice.)

Sorry. I'm not cool. And I get way too squeally excited to not share.

So what have I been up to? Thanks for asking.

Also, I hear voices. Apparently.

First up, I had to frame out the wall. It is my favorite thing.

Just as much as having a root canal is my favorite thing. Or going to the post office with all my kids in tow is my faaavorite thing.

(Note to self: live wire is now in that wall.)

Be a friend? The next little "project" that involves studs, you'll warn me. NAY, you will force me to stop.

Thank you so much, you're very kind.

Anywho, this little project hasn't just involved little old moi.

Remember: I don't do electrical, and this space certainly does need it's own light source, 'cause some idiot localized all the light to one area.

By the way, I believe it was about this point, when the hubs was itching from insulation and covered in drywall dust, when he contemplated quiet murder.

Thank you, honey. Mouah.

(Had to trade all kinds of favors for that labor up there.)

So anyways,

let's talk about my ideas. Yes! Lets!

A little a this.
With a little a this.
And a bit a this thrown in.

Squeal! Golf clap! Intense concentration of holding bladder muscle!

Yep, a built-in bench is first on the agenda.
And here it is in the early morning light! Sigh.

Talk someone into making me a squishy tushy cushion for this, please?

And here we are. So far. After 92.5278 hours of labor.

So close! Yet so far away! I only have to figure out a cute way to close up that wall, plus put up the crown molding, plus finish the molding on the bench, plus figure out how to do a free floating desk, plus plus. . .

You get the idea. Someone help me.

11 comments:

Julie {BuildSewReap} said...

It's lookin' good.

What about doing a long desk on a piano hinge that would flip up to the wall and have a chalkboard on the underside so the kids could sit on the bench and scribble and such but then it could be let down to be a good spot for homework. Of course, if you planned on putting a computer in there permanently, that wouldn't work but if not, a multipurpose desk / creative center could be pretty fun.

Emily said...

I'm sure that you will be able to figure it out and have it looking awesome!

Pressed Petals said...

i don't have any ideas, BUT i have faith that you will come up with something FAB!

Tracy's Trinkets and Treasures said...

I like that you are showing stages of the room. The final reveal will still be amazing, but it is so fun to see the progess as it happens. Looking good.

Nicki Rocky said...

You are so clever. The bench is fantastic. Is the computer going on a little shelf opposite it? My kids would love this. I am defintitely NOT going to show them and give them any ideas!

WhettenWild said...

You rock. Seriously.

calikas said...

wow! that is such a large project to take on. I'm so excited to see how it turns out!!

Connie @ Measured by the Heart said...

I will make you a tushy cushion. Send me the dimensions.

Ann Marie | white house, black shutters said...

You're awesome, you got this. I'm glad you can't wait to post pics, I like seeing the process, makes us all appreciate it even more. I know I have to post them mid-process because I never know when crap's gonna get done around here... but I digress ;)

Go MANDI! Go HUBBY! Go BUILT INS!

Spencer & Lorilyn Crum said...

I once built a floating shelf from Ana White's plans, maybe if you did something like that, because you can screw the frame directly into the studs, then create the desk casing to slide over that. Additionally, you could do supports under the casing on both walls of 2 x 4's also screwed directly into the studs, running horizontally right under your desk. I think maybe between those two things, it would hold. Ask your Pops, he for sure would know what to do.

Teri said...

What a cool idea! I love the way you set up this room. It's a great use of space! :)