Sunday, August 14, 2011

Danny, Is This The End?


Of Summer?

Because to my great lamentation,

my boys are heading back to school this week.

Can I share somethings with you?

(I consider silence to be consent.)

Great! Grab yourself a diaper, a cakepop, and get comfortable.


Let me tell you what I believe.

I believe old fashioned carousels to be the stuff dreams are made of.

I believe

that every summer activity should end with a treat.


I believe that summers are made for bike, trike and scooter riding.

I believe that summer's outdoorsy-ness should make your feet semi-permanently dirty, or you aren't doing it right.

I believe that it is idiotic to climb into pools with expensive cameras for a better shot.


I believe that no water bill can be too high, and no lawn can be too sloshy.


I believe in 50 pound diapers.


I believe that little kids at a bowling alley do their darndest to put a hole through the floor.


I believe that you better sit down whilst you watch little kids attempt to skate, 'cause you'll be laughing your ace off while they all fall down over and over and over.

I believe that getting kicked in the shins by rollerskates is a painful thing indeed.

I believe in lazy mornings,

and that 11:0 a.m. is not too late to finally shower, dern it.

I believe that one of my very favorite things is seeing green leaves outside my music room window.



I believe a bevi should always have a straw,

and occasionally a garnish or two.

I believe in flip flops, swimsuits, tan lines,

lemonade and their accompanying stands, watermelon, sleeping in,

late evening walks, sitting on the porch, alfresco dining,


taking random days off, impromptu visits to the park, bum cracks, popsicles,

and definitely, definitely neighborhood night games.


And gosh darn it,

I believe that since ya only get one childhood, you better make it count.

21 comments:

Janelle said...

I believe that this is a great blog!

Bethany @ A Fish Who Likes Flowers said...

I believe that you are right!!! What a great blog post and I have to agree with all of it. Thanks for making me smile

calikas said...

Looooove this so much.

I, too, believe that all bevi's should have a straw.

:)

oh sweet summer, why do you always go so fast.

SueAnn said...

Amen and amen sister!!
Hugs
SueAnn

Lori said...

I believe I had to take a break to get to the end of this post. How wonderful! You must do this for every season, please. Who plays the flute?

Lisa said...

Perfectly said!....Like only you could say it. Looks like you've had a great summer and your kiddos made tons of great childhood memories!!

Nicki Rocky said...

Very, very true!

Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

What a great post! I love your daughters chuckola legs. Don't tell her I said that. I wouldn't want her to get a complex. ;)
ps. 11am is early for a shower isn't it?

Rebecca D said...

I too believe you are so very right... Altough I am an autumn loving girl, summers are the stuff of children... Teens too... We've had a heck of one!

alamama said...

yep yep yep. well said.

Layne Bushell said...

yes, yes, yes. I believe too, so why did none of this get done at my house? Oh yeah...that play got in the way of summer....hopefully next year!!!! I ALWAYS drink with a straw...can't drink otherwise!!!

gina3 said...

Oh it's all so awesome; all the makings of a great childhood. Of course we would all be dead of heat stroke down here if we did all that but let's throw caution to the wind :) From the looks of the bottom of my feet, I must be doing it well. I've been barefoot or in flipflops for a couple of months now. The picture of your two boys arm and arm is priceless. Love that.

Megan said...

A- freaking- MEN!!!

Emily said...

Your kids are so lucky! You do so much fun stuff with them! I am so glad that you guys had a fun summer!

WhettenWild said...

OF course not..............its only the beginning.

No one is going to finish that Grease quote???? Your killin' me Smalls! (Name THAT movie)

Halls Huddle said...

So maybe I take back my comment about being ready for school to start. I think I need to go do some of these fun summer things we didn't get around to. You are the absolute funnest mom ever!

Mommyof2girlz said...

New follower, you have such a wonderful blog full of beautiful captures, love! So glad to meet you :)

Mallory said...

Love all the pictures. I just have to know: What is in the first one?

JennyMac said...

Love it and totally agree with ya!

Teri said...

Sigh. So sweet.

Lavender and Lemon Drops said...

I'm a new follower! LOVE LOVE LOVE your blog :) My grass was so sloshy this summer it grew a large amount of mushrooms lol