Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Working Under The Influence.

I don't mean to beat a dead horse or anything,


and I certainly don't mean to give you the moment to moment goings ons of the massive construction work over here,

but I hope you'll forgive me. 'Cause I'm going to beat the horse and give a moment to moment. I'm such a jerk.

Now, I don't know if work-induced delirium has set in, or if it's just all the MASSIVE details of this little project, but,

I think I've gone cuckoo for cocoa puffs. From figuring out the curvature of the sideboards,

to bull-nosing the little steps,

I just don't know man. All work and no play makes Mandi a dull boy. Or girl.

Wanna know how many cuts so far? I counted.

392.

Fine I made that number up but I swear it's been a ton of cuts. A ton.

And the injuries? I don't know man-- it's like I'm as clumsy as Bella, or I'm sucking back on your grampa's cough syrup or something.

Drill slipped. Drilled my hand. Just take my word for it that it was awful pain. Like, "Oh _____!" (insert swear as I'm talking to my sister on the phone) "I'll have to call you back. . . "

I sounded like I was dying. Right then, I was. Imagine, if you will, a Phillips head-shaped gouge in my hand.

I believe it was about right after this step:

when I shot myself with the nail gun. Yep. You heard me.

Nail. Right through the ole birdy finger.

Kind of a crappy picture. But did I mention I had just shot myself with the nailgun?


The bead of blood's the entry wound. The exit wound was up near my finger nail. On a positive note, I get to show people the middle finger now. Excited about that.

For the record, the drill in the hand hurt 3.2 times (exactly) worse.

I'd show you the picture of my gouged calf, but I haven't really shaved my legs in a couple days, and I wouldn't do that to you, now would I?

But, as the Daddy-o says:

"You're not doing your job right unless you get an injury." Or something like that.

I'll consider it a job well done if I keep all my digits.

22 comments:

Ann Marie | white house, black shutters said...

Girrrrl. You need to take care of my Mandi!

Lori said...

Mandi, Mandi, Mandi... will you ever learn. I bet you talk on the phone while driving too.. (of course i don't) I have stopped the texting and driving. When you take on a project you take one on! Love the title post. You are just too creative for yourself!

Dara Lynn said...

Guuurrrll! Step away from the nailgun....ever see those shows of strange medical mysteries with nails from a gun or other tools showing up in the xrays? lol. Take a break sweetness and breathe...reboot!

Boss said...

I hope you're up to date with your tetanus booster. Seriously, I hope you are. (they're good for 10ish years) Because I can't wait to see the finished masterpiece here!

Pressed Petals said...

ouch!!!!

Mrs BC said...

You are a COMMITTED BLOGGER. Your hand is bleeding from shooting yourself with a nail gun AND YOU STOP TO TAKE A PHOTO OF IT. Blogger should give you some sort of award!
xx

Whimsy-ma-blog said...

Ouch! I believe that the drill hurt more. I sewed through my finger a couple months ago right where you nailed through yours (no, don't ask how I managed to get past all the safety features on my sewing machine to get my finger stuck in there...) and I have to say that besides being totally grossed out by myself it didn't hurt as much as I thought it should!

I can't wait to see your finished product!

Tracy's Trinkets and Treasures said...

You need to be careful. I am loving your bed. I feel bad being on vacation while you are working soooo hard.

Spencer & Lorilyn Crum said...

Oh my gosh, I have come so close so many times to gouging my hand with my drill, and also my husband's hand on several occasions as well.

I'll be praying that you heal quickly and don't have any more accidents that involve intense pain or heavy bloodloss.

(I hope God doesn't take that as accidents with light pain and little blood loss are okay...)

Udygirl said...

Oh my gosh! OUCH!!!! Are you okay?

Harmony said...

Holy Water Buffalo, Mandi T! You need to be careful. HOWEVER, you did make me laugh a little... only because as I was looking at the picture of your poor abused finger, I kept thinking of that youtube clip of that news reporter who is grape stomping and falls out of the grape bucket, knocking the wind out of herself and moaning the saddest, most zombie-like moan ever, on live TV. I imagine thats what you sounded like as you kept damaging yourself. Only I feel for you lady. Good luck! The project looks great! Big high five... you can do this!

Emily said...

OOWWW! That looks like it hurt. I'm sorry! Maybe that is the real reason I don't do projects, because I am a clutz and I would end up in the hopsital everytime. Good luck with the rest of the project and stay safe!

WhettenWild said...

Oh man. I just shuddered looking at that picture. OUCH! I officially declare that you've had enough injuries for this project. LOL!

Lisa said...

Mandi - DANG!!!!
You're like a real professional over there with all those crazy injuries! I can't wait to see this project as it comes together. Just hoping you make it through in one piece girl!!!!!!

Creative Decor by Brooke said...

Your Crazy! I can't believe the things you take on. You are definately an inspiration.
I have to say, I have drilled through my hand before, not fun. Went right throught the fatty part between my first two fingers.
My dear hubby tells me I need to pay attention when using power tools, du! Thanks hun.
Better luck while finishing your bed project.
Brooke

Chiemi said...

Oh my gosh!!! Be careful!!

Layne Bushell said...

O.u.c.h. I'm so very sorry! Hope you've recovered from the day and that bed is looking awesome!

Misty said...

Oh my! I'm just loving your blog-it makes me laugh out loud! I can not believe you stopped cussing to take a picture, crazy woman! I love it! (My husband just screwed into the 'meaty' part of his finger, then 2 days later our contractor screwed thru the nail part-ya-ouch!)

Michelle@Somedaycrafts said...

That is wicked awesome! How many people have nail gunned themselves and drilled a hole in their hand on the same (or close to the same) day! You have a very nice birdie finger! Show it off and be proud:) When I saw your inspiration, I about wet my pants! I won't be copying you on that one because I have no idea how to do it. Can't wait to see the finished product (and be careful.) No more big injuries!

Taylor Family said...

MISS Mandi, you are crazy friend. While I keep posting my to do's on my pinterest boards, and maybe oneday in the next year+ getting to it, your full on remodeling your house pretty much. It makes me smile to see that you have 4 car garage and you somehow end up having both your cars out on the driveway. Makes me laugh! That house was meant for you!

Teri said...

Owwww! Did you go for stitches? That's a nasty gouge!

Wunkie's Mommy said...

ughhh! True story, I did just that, while attempting to put together my headboard last month. Screw slipped and went into my thumb. It hurt. A lot. So I feel your pain lady! Buuuuut your window bed looks AH-MAZING! Sooooo it was worth it? I think, yes. Yes, it was. :)