Sunday, June 26, 2011

Opened a can of screws.

Fancy Green Beans.

Chew thoroughly, or they're a little rough going down.

But seriously,

I knew I was taking on potentially the most massive of projects when I began this little diddy:

I have this printed out -- I'm carrying it around, studying it, staring, dreaming about it, planning.

And behold my materials!

I really ought to buy stock in Lowe's. Or get like an employee discount or something.

This project, though-

from the materials, to the knobs, pulls, hinges,

to the framing and the molding--

good grief. The details make my head swim. In jell-o.

The framing--
already burned out a drill doing just that. Like, smoke pouring out, stinky, burned out drill.

But the framing-
it must be strong enough to potentially hold 4+ children, jumping. All at the same time. With dumbbells in their hands. And balls and chains around their ankles. And if a huge anvil happens to drop from the sky, well then, it can take it.

That kind of strong. Don't wanna hear no cracking of any kind. Ever.

Um, honey, your britches are heading south, there.

But it also needed to house drawers. And the heating & A/C vent needed to be moved. Again.


Note to builders: must the vents be placed on the floor next to the windows? Always?

So there's that.

And then there's all my screw ups.

And there's the drawers. The height? The length? How will they slide in and out? What should the drawer faces look like?

And the headboard? How 'bout that? The footboard?

The ceiling? The lighting?
I've had to take it one step at a time.

"Right now, I'm just doing drawers."
"Right now, I'm just gonna do the shelving."


And so forth, and so on.

And I've totally loved it. Loved.
And I've also started to lose it, too.

The first day, I just stared at the space, planning. "Kay I'll start at ____. No wait, you can't do that because _____. Start at _____. No you can't do that because _____."


I'm surrounded by toys and tools. My kids are egging me on, 'cause gosh darn it, they're excited.

It's a step by step, work in progress, grasshoppah.



And come heck or high water, we'll get there. I'm barely coming up for air. Or food.

And the use of adult diapers shouldn't be ruled out.

14 comments:

Bethany @ A Fish Who Likes Flowers said...

Your kids are excited? I'M EXCITED!!! I can't wait to see what it looks like when it's done! (Although I'm sure it'll be amazing!)

WhettenWild said...

The use of adult diapers ARE ruled out! ha ha.

Looking good, looking good. Sorry about your drill man.

Whimsy-ma-blog said...

You are a brave woman to tackle tasks I WANT to do but probably wouldn't dare.

And you got me thinking. I have a 4 yr old, a 2 yr old and a baby due in 7 weeks. If I allowed adult diapers that would relieve me of one task that I needed to do throughout the day...worth thinking through.....

Jen said...

You are so fast! This is a "DUH" type comment, but you are so naturally talented! You're AMAZING, little lady! ;)

Two Dollars said...

Can you talk about the vent moving since you've done it twice and I may have one in my future? :)
-Stefanie
2ndChanceCreations.etsy.com

Chiemi said...

You are my hero. I seriously want power tools now.

slommler said...

Lovin' this for sure!! And your photo tour is terrific!!!
And your work crew??!! Top men...yes-siree!! Top men!!
Hugs
SueAnn

Lori said...

Can't wait to see the finished project. I wish my girl's had one tenth of your talent. I had to drive and hour yesterday to help them put doorknobs back on. I started her, so I felt I had to go and bail her out. She painted them oil rubbed bronze and couldn't figure out they went back together! Her little sister spent the night tyring to help. Both college graduates. Then she had the audacity to blame me for not teaching her this little project when she was growing up! Baby steps, I need to do that zen thing you were doing.

Spencer & Lorilyn Crum said...

This is going to be such a great reading nook. Sigh.

Emily said...

This is going to be the coolest little reading nook! Do you mind if I come use it when it's done??

Teri said...

Holy crap! What a job! I LOVE that inspiration pic, so I can't wait to see what you do with it! :)

Irene Onderweegs said...

Hey! Daybed! Congratulations!!!
Relate to the kiddies, my 4 of them are already in their twenties and thirties.. =^{ time went to fast, along with the first hubby.
After 35 odd years from first wanting a daybed/window bed I'll have my daybed too, finally! From the "brand new improved" hubby of four years now 8^}
He loves what I like, and I love what he likes, stickey what?
Love the blog, I'll keep to it.
Hugs from a cloudy and still warm Amsterdam,
Irene

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

Wow! That is absolutely amazing. I can't believe you figured it out from start to finish ... you're a star!

Heather@The Black's Best said...

You are stinkin' A-MA-ZING! I would never have the cajones to tackle a project like this! Can't wait to see the end product.