Saturday, May 28, 2011

You Have To Want It.

Our house has been turned upside down these last few days. Cats and dogs living together; mass hysteria.

You know, the usual. But a little more than usual.

See, we bought this sectional. . .

and we loved it. We had dweams of all our little fart knockers sitting together. Fighting each other. Peeing on it. That sort of thing.

And so we bought it with little to no thought to how we would actually get it down in the dungeon.

Don't you judge me! The basement window was coming out for drywall to come in! We figured if it wasn't going down the stairs, it would go through the window, okay? OKAY??

We thought wrong. We Assumed. And you know what happens when you assume, don'tcha?

You end up with (the biggest piece of a) sectional that fits nowhere. NOWHERE.

I wasn't being picky-- I would've traded my family room sectional for the dungeon sectional, had you not had to shimmy through the 2 foot space between said sectional and fireplace.

"So you're gonna take it back?"

"Aw shoot! So you're gonna pick something different?"

No. NO, DERN IT! The hubs and I were bent on this couch. Determined. Obstinate. Tenacious. Stubborn Jack A's. Whatever you wanna call us.

Plus, you know, the fact that you can't return it because it was a scratch and dent sale is also a bit of a motivation, too.

We were going to get it down there come heck or high water.

So what did we do? And when I say "we", I really just mean Jeff?

Well, thanks for asking. You break your couch, drag it down to the dungeon, and then put it all back together. Exactly the way it was.

Easy as pie. You have to WANT IT, man. You.have.to.want.it.

And thus began "Sofa Anatomy 101".

I'm not going to lie to ya now- I was pretty worried.

Like, "holycrapwearejackingupourcouch!" and "Oh my gosh what have we done?" and "Are we idiots??"

And so forth.

But you know, there was no need for worry. For, you see,

Jeffrey is the sofa whisperer.

I'm tellin' you-- he cut at the joints, we took it downstairs,

we jacked up the wall a bit.

And hey, nothing a little spackle and some paint didn't already fix.

And then he just put it all back together. Like, perfectly back together. Ensured it was strong as strong,


and made it look just like it was before he took a SawzAll to it.

Jeffrey, I am impressed. You.Complete.Me. I am happy, nay, proud, to be the mother of your children.

Yeah, I just threw up a bit in my mouth, too.

27 comments:

Rebecca said...

OMG. I would have been scared to death if we had to do that to a sofa!

Heidi@TheCraftMonkey said...

You {and your hubby} are AWESOME!

Sujomi said...

I guess the sectional stays if you move huh? ;) - I've several pieces of furniture that are staying for any new owners.

Bee said...

Well done! you gotta make it happen!:) we are looking for a sectional- love yours- where is it from?

BeingBrook said...

Holy Cow that is DETERMINATION!! Way to go. I never would have thought to dismantle the couch. I guess if you ever move the couch stays. Looks great!

calikas said...

Man that is so hard core!!


Great idea, assuming you will live in this house forever...because I'm sure you don't want to go through that again to get it out.

Two Dollars said...

officially certifiable :)

gina3 said...

You two are a match made in heavan...or Home Depot or somewhere. That takes some guts and "Know-how" to even try that. You guys are definitely a blog power couple!

Tracy's Trinkets and Treasures said...

Only you and your husband would think and be able to dismantel a sectional and get it back together perfectly and to remember to document it too! Seeing it in the basement makes me see why you would be determined. It looks great. Now I have a place to sleep when I move to your basement.

Katie said...

OH my word!! You guys are so dedicated I am completely impressed!

DaikerDiva said...

that is WAY impressive.

Holly said...

Seriously!!??? Seriously?

Layne Bushell said...

Only you and Jeff would be able to something like that. You're a.ma.zing. Really.

Emily said...

You guys have to be two of the coolest people I know! I would be dying while he took it all apart!
Way to go Jeff!!

aleexeela said...

hey, got a quick question:

what's the brand name of the sectional? i love this couch!!!

Make Me Over said...

This is awesome! :) The kids will be asleep on that in no time.

Faith, Trust, and a Little Pixie Dust said...

We've also bought not one--but two sectionals that we couldn't fit in our basement! So I had to chuckle at your fortitude to MAKE it work! It looks beautiful!

Warmly, MIchelle

DebZorn said...

This is so funny. We have a couch in our basement family room. It was FORCED into the room. When we move - the couch stays. :)

Pressed Petals said...

can't believe you guys took it apart. you guys give new meaning to the term where there's a will there's a way!

Bethany @ A Fish Who Likes Flowers said...

Wow, you guys are hardcore!!! I'm glad it got put back together properly. (I'm sure you are too.)

WhettenWild said...

Love the sectional. So glad you got it down there. Can't believe you had the guts to take it apart. Really....I wouldn't have even thought of that!

Lisa said...

I've heard of sawing boxsprings in half to fit up stairwells but never a couch. Why can't things just be easy??? Well at least it's there and your handy hubby can chop it up into bits someday when it's time to go!
Hope you're all having a great long weekend in your dungeon!

Halls Huddle said...

I can't believe you got it down there! I'm so proud!!!! Next time we'll forego taking out the window and just have Jeff come saw it up for us!

Kimbo West @ a girl and a glue gun said...

so. now you can't ever move. just saying. or sell the couch with sectional.

Janelle said...

Jaxon was reading with me. I said, "do you recognize that guy?" He said, "Ya, he is my teacher, but I didn't know his name was Jeffrey."

I am so impressed! It lookes great.

Dede said...

Oh. My. Gosh. I can't believe you let him do that. Although it worked, so I'm thinking GOOD FOR YOU! My husband could never take a couch apart and put it back together. That's so awesome!

Teri said...

First of all, that is EXACTLY the couch I want for my living room. And secondly? Kudos to Jeff. Seriously.