Tuesday, May 17, 2011

On the Nerd Scale, It's About a 9.5.

Perhaps you remember the last time I was really bored. (It's been a ree-hee-heally long time since I claimed to be bored).

I picked up the nerdy art of balloon animals that last moment of boredom.


Anywho, my children's school carnival was coming up, and I thought "Oh, what the hey." And I signed up to be the balloon artist dweeb.

I use the term "artist" very, very loosely.

And so I said to myself,

"Self, you need a bigger repertoire than the 8 different things you already do."
You wouldn't believe the stuff kids ask for.

"Can I have a house?"
"I want a car!"

Don't we all kids. Don't.We.All.

(If you can do a balloon house please email me. I'd like to see it.)

So I turned to my first Geek-book for more stuff to make, and I just must point this out:

"HOW TO BLOW UP ANIMALS." How to blow up animals! The editor didn't suggest a different title? Your wife? Your fellow balloon animal friend/nerd? No one thought to say,

"Hey-- maybe we should go with a different title. I see the whole 'Blow Up Animals!' thing as maybe attracting the wrong crowd. You know, the people who feed cats firecrackers and saw puppies in half?"

And the other thing I would like to point out:

"AMAZE YOUR FRIENDS!"

Do you stand amazed? Are you. . . impressed?

Thought not.

Moving on.

So I've been spending some time building the ole repertoire. You know, more than just a weiner dog, a hat, and a sword.


And they're, like, EVERYWHERE. I'm a slow learner, okay??

French Poodles, Giraffes, Rabbits, Mickey Ears,

swans,

monkeys,

(That's a monkey! You see it! You do!)

pirate swords,

and you know, the standard, kids' carnival MUST-HAVE:

the balloon toilet. As seen here.

I think I'm ready. Nerds, unite.

18 comments:

Marjory Steele Skousen said...

You are a brave woman doing that for the school carnival. I'll take the toilet one please. That is tooooo funny. Every party should have one. Hee Hee.

calikas said...

Do they pop a lot when you practice??

Hey, "blowing up animals" is a better im.bored past time than t.v., right??

slommler said...

Oh boy!! You have finally gone over the edge. Just breath and take your time. This will pass and you will be back to your old self in no time. Ha!!
Hugs
SueAnn

Lori said...

I would say your kids would put you on the greatest balloon skilled Mom in the world. 9.5! no a ten!

JennRose said...

I am loving that toilet! I must ask, though...are those balloon "turds" on the floor next to it! lol

I Am Momma - Hear Me Roar said...

Oh my gosh Mandi. You are SO funny. Who else would sign up for that and buy the book to study. I'm sure you'll be a hit. And I've never seen a balloon toilet. Wow, talk about going the extra mile :)

Cheri

Andrea@Sgt and Mrs Hub said...

Aren't you the awesomest mom ever!! Go you!

I love the little "presents" next to the toilet. Hilarious!

Leslie@leserleeslovesandhobbies said...

My daughter says it's not a monkey. :) I say it's the color of a monkey. I'll bet you could find instructions somewhere to make a house. But it would be along the lines of the toilet in complicated-ness.

WhettenWild said...

That balloon toilet ROCKS!

Emily said...

I am amazed. I think it awesome that you can make balloon animals! I bet your kids love it!

Layne Bushell said...

ROFL. That toilet is the bomb! Pun intended. You're cool. I get to be the mom that hands out the gold fish to the lucky children; I'm sure their parents are gonna hate me!

Teri said...

I think that is the coolest weird skill I've ever encountered. The kids are going to love you!

Heidi@TheCraftMonkey said...

hey I'm painting faces this saturday at a church carnival. We should get together and take this show on the road! People could hire us for parties and we'd be RICH! Have a I mentioned I can't draw a straight stick figure....

Jill said...

LOVE the toilet!!!next time you are around standard plumbing supply, please drop one by! better yet, please teach all our staff so we can awe and amaze our plumbing guys who act like kids, i mean, our clients!

Michell @ Girl In Air said...

This blog cracks me up!! New follower!

Jen said...

I LOOOOOVE your balloon making talent!!! Landon told me I should learn. Maybe I should. ;) Na....just one more thing they'll beg me to do every waking minute of the day, like making paper airplanes.

I have a feeling this carnival of ours is going to be indoors again. This blasted cold, rainy, snowy weather needs to take a hike. Can you please hone in on your awesome ninja skills, that I KNOW your hiding from us, and kick it's frickin' jet stream somewhere else??!?!?! PWETTY PWEASE!!!!!!

Dede said...

That's pretty flippin' awesome! I can only do a dog/mouse/four legged creature and swords, so I can't help ya out.

Can't wait to hear how it goes!

Stefanie said...

Mandi, I know your kidlets are telling all of their friends how cool their mom is cause she makes balloon animals! And they are right....Your a rockin' awesome mom!! By the way, the turds layin next to the toilet were crackin' me up!! Why weren't the turds IN the toilet?!? That's my question for today! :)