Sunday, May 15, 2011

Like Sands Through the Hourglass, So are the Days of Our Lives.

To say the last couple months have been a bit crazy in this household

would be a massive understatement.

I think "demented", "deranged", possibly "of unsound mind" would fit our situation better.

WHO starts a basement?

And a garden?

And a bedroom?


Allatthesametime??

Well, we do, DUH!

Because we are insane! Because we have lost contact with the mothership! Our slinkys are kinked! We played football without a helmet! We fell out of the stupid tree and hit every branch on the way down!

And so forth.

Full out ape crap.

I'm talkin', up at the butt crack 'o dawn, jumping into pants, both legs at a time, and hitting the ground running on Saturdays,

up until 1:00 a.m., on weeknights, people.

1:00 a.to the freakin' m. Workin' side by side, asking "are you done with the saw yet?" and "Can I finally take the drill?"
Burnin' the candle on both ends.

We need two drills.

So, why were our pants on fire?

No freakin' idea.

And shouldn't a basement be like 5 steps??
1.frame
2. wire
3. insulate
4. drywall
5. paint

Done.?. It was like 50 steps. No joke.


I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest that perhaps domestic violence begins with a house renovating. It's fun and everything,

and then you go pick out carpet together, and BAM. Decapitation. Brass knuckles. Knife fights.

Well, at least a little bit of disharmony.

Yeah, it's been a couple productive months.

Buuuuuut. . . I think we need to take it down a notch, or two.

Or 50.

You know, for the good of the children.

17 comments:

Jill said...

I am right there with you. My yard is non existent (hubby tore it out last summer for it to be this summer's adventure), still working on the main floor of the house-carpet still needed in 3 rooms, vanity in one bathroom. I feel your pain. Glad to know someone else thinks they can still leap over tall buildings in a single bound!

Nicolette @ Momnivore's Dilemma said...

I think renovation increases the divorce rate by 25% in American alone.

You know what's even more fun than three projects at once? What really put a "kink in my slinky"?

Renovating while pregnant, both times. The last time in 2009 was a FULL 3 months with no kitchen and a toddler.

Pure awesome.

I feel you, Mandi. Going to "pin" this to show my husband. So we can have a good laugh and recall the good ol' days of renovating.

Maybe if I get pregnant with #3, we can finally tackle that master bath...lol...

Great post. You are a trip to read.

slommler said...

Ha!!! Yes! Who does that?? Seriously...!!!
Oh I know why...you are really experiencing pure joy with all of this working together crap!!
Right???
Pure Joy and Harmony!!!
That is so nice
Hugs
SueAnn

Dara Lynn said...

Unbelievable! That is the word for our bathroom redo! 3 men in the bathroom..tiling...done?? well....some nitwit cut the hole too big for the shower kit and today ..there will be a meeting in the bathroom of who did not measure!!! Quick! Stop payment on the check to the nitwits!!! Back to ripping out the tile....geeezzzz!!!! Handsome says he will handle this .........ummm ???

Lisa said...

You are very productive over there these days. (But this aint no craft blog, if I remember correctly!) The thing is when all your big projects are complete you'll be drumming your fingers on the table, tapping the toes, and not know what the heck to do with yourself right?

gina3 said...

Really? I've been exhausted just reading your posts! You must have supersonic energy or something because I can't even get one room done with one older kid around. 3 huge rooms with 4 little kids? Yeah, you've earned that Wonderwoman icon in a big way. Take a break for a second or two and then I know you'll be back at it.

Emily said...

Find a happy place, find a happy place, find a happy place...

Shirley said...

So, when your kids go visit their friends, do they come back all puzzled and stuff cause their friends parents just....sit around??? :)
Can't wait for you to get finished, cause then you're gonna start touring...with kids in tow....and come do all of OUR houses! :)
Oh, and you forgot to mention that in between all that manly construction stuff, you take the most awesome pics and post over the top hilarious blogs!!!

Spencer & Lorilyn Crum said...

THIS IS MEGA AWESOME!!!

I am so pumped to see what this space looks like when you are done. It's like I vicariously live through your remodels and when it's completed, I feel a sense of completion although I haven't actually done anything.

Janelle said...

I can't wait to see all your new stuff. Maybe I could have a tour?

Just so you know- you inspire me to actually do something instead of sitting around. So your "antics" are worth it!

WhettenWild said...

Serenity NOW! ha ha. So?? Did you pick out carpet? Send a pic to my phone. How does the drywall look?

Sheri said...

Aren't you supposed to have 17 (thousand) projects on the go at one time? So, if you get bored with one thing, there's always another one to choose from? I thought that's how life was supposed to be! You really are amazing, though, love reading your blog and getting a little glimpse into your craziness!

Layne Bushell said...

I've been waiting for 5 years to get my basement finished. I so want it done yesterday. Way to go you to get 'er done.

Dede said...

lol, so true! I bet you're right about the domestic disputes...cause I know I almost killed a certain someone when his wiring went bad the other day at my house.

Kellie said...

I just want you to know that I laughed, OUT LOUD, with tears streaming down my face.... You crack me up!! Keep up the good work

Michelle@Somedaycrafts said...

You seriously need to be committed! I can't imagine! Thank goodness you've made it this far without a divorce:) You need to come back to planet Earth - not just take it down a notch. Please come finish my soon-to-be baby's room that has 1 1/2 coats of mud on the walls. You must be an expert by now!!!!

Teri said...

Holy smokes, woman! You sure have been busy, and you even find the time to blog about it! Your basement is coming along swimmingly, though, and your garden is the envy of the neighbourhood, I'm sure. Maybe take a nap. Or three. The house will still be there when you wake up! :)