Thursday, May 26, 2011

I Am America's Test Kitchen.

I love cooking.

I hate cooking.

But I love it. And yet, I hate it.


Upon further introspection of this very confusing message, I realized a few things.

Partially it's 'cause I suck at it. And, I hate cooking dinner. Generally. Why? Well, imagine my two hoodlums having all out meltdowns about what we're eating. Stomping on the ground, screaming and running to their room, refusing to eat, swearing they're going to starve to death. . .

that sort of thing. Oh wait, hold up here-- allow me to give you some visual examples:


'Mmm hmm.

That's what I'm talking about.

Do you have a mental picture? 'Cause I'm getting pissed just thinking about it.

Little fart knockers.

Anywho, do you remember the hubs? You know, my hubby?

Remember?

There ya go! You remember!

He is sooo going to kill me if he ever reads my blog.

Now, the hubs-- he's the exact opposite. There's nothing he won't eat. Nada. He likes everything.

Oh wait-- I take that back. I figured out something he doesn't "care for"; ya know those little corn on the cob veggie thingies? Like Tom Hanks on "Big"?

Yeah. He doesn't care for those.

I have a point here. Really.

I enjoy cooking for stuff. Events. People who appreciate that someone went to a big effort GOSH DANG IT AND IT TOOK ME AN HOUR TO PREPARE AND AN HOUR TO CLEAN UP AND CAN SOMEONE JUST APPRECIATE ME PLEASE?

Sorry. (I, um, made that cheese from scratch.)

Ahem. So as I was saying before my outburst-- I'm trying to make dinner an "event". You know, like, all, fancy shmancy. Ish. Maybe just my hubby and I will enjoy it. Possibly I will have to tune out my punks-- possibly I will have to yell "YOU WILL EAT IT AND YOU WILL LIKE IT!" Again.

Actually I'm positive I will have to yell that some more.

But in the meantime, I've been cooking up a storm. Gathered up a few keepers, here! Some. . . not so much. But let's just stick with the good stuff, shall we?

First up--
Creamy Chicken Taquitos.

'Mmmm. Crunchy. Cheesy. Fatty. 2 thumbs up.


Oh, ma gosh.

Raspberry Cheesecake Trifle? Hello? New favorite dessert, here! This will make all your problems go away. Up until the very last bite/lick.

Spicy? Dippy?

Chuy's Creamy Jalapeno Dip-- easy to make, easy to eat.


Penne With Chicken in Creamy Pepper Jack Cheese Sauce (this is the title that never ends. . . )

Made it. Liked it. 4 stars out of 5.

So try it, you'll like it! ("So yummy, so yummy yummy!")

Just ask my kids-- they loooooved them, too.

21 comments:

Jayme said...

Totally just bookmarked this so when I'm wandering around the grocery store sick & tired of the same-old-same-old I can try one of these! They look fabulous!

Plus I think the boyfriend might even like them too. If not I'll be sure to take pictures of his crying and let you know I understand.

Renee said...

Yum-O!

slommler said...

Everything looks good to me for sure
That cheesecake thingy especially!!
And the pics of the kids cracked me up! I remember those days! Ha!
Hugs
SueAnn

julie - eab designs said...

I could just dive into that trifle about now! I'd eat that for dinner. :)

Tracy's Trinkets and Treasures said...

Your kids and you crack me up. It's been awhile since I have seen those kind of meltdowns. Now I just have them. Just kidding. Your food all looks so good and your basement does too. I can finally comment. Yippeee!

alamama said...

my oh my have I been there, hollered that! I have three food critics, I swear. I told them the other night that they are spoiled. If someone else were to eat it, they'd "uh" and "ah" and "oh yum". Hubby will eat anything too. He likes to cook so sometimes he's telling me he'd add this and that. Sometimes I want to scream at them, reminding them that when we first got married we ate hamburger helper, alot. I have come a long way! Other times, well I just smile and think maybe one day they'll own their own resturany and I can eat for free! I hope this comment goes through. Google hasn't been letting me comment for the last few days.

WhettenWild said...

I'm gonna have to try those. They look fab!

Layne Bushell said...

FYI - same thing over here at our house. Thing 1 goes to bed without dinner every.single.night. And I've stopped allowing him to make a pb&j when he's hungry. I, like you, am sick and tired of it.

Layne Bushell said...

PS - plese forward these recipes...maybe something might get eaten over here....

Dede said...

Are you freaking kidding me??? I want to eat every single one of those things...allatthesametime (quoting a really cool gal I know)!

But I bet my kids still wouldn't eat any of them. Maybe the dessert. No problemo, I'LL eat it all.

PS. I'll let you know when I feature your amazing recipes on my site!

Emily said...

Your kids are awesome. Kayla always tells me she doesn't like what I am making. Gotta love kids at dinner time!

But those all look really good. I am so trying that cheesecake thing!

Heidi@TheCraftMonkey said...

Mmmmm taquiiiiitooooos! It all looks yummy! You could invite me over to dinner anytime!

Lisa said...

Mmmm those taquitos look yum. And the cheesecake trifle. And the chicken casserole with the really long name. And the jalapeno dip. How many lunches am I allowed to have in one day???

Laura at Ms. Smartie Pants said...

ALL of it looks soooo good, wish I was your neighbor! I would fix the kids some PB&J sandwiches so you would feed me. ;)I think the dessert will be on our menu this weekend! Thanks soooo much!

April and Jared Fenn said...

looks deelish. I also hate/love making dinner. Thanks for the inspiration and laughs, you are awesome.

Lisa said...

Oh yay oh yay oh yay - thanks for linking up!
And I forgot to say this my first time 'round but those pics of your kids - ahhhh they bring back some fond memories! Funny thing is they are still so stinkin cute crying or not!

Teri said...

Mmmm....those kids should be grateful. Tell them I wanna trade places.

Rachel said...

I just read this to my hubby so he knows our kids aren't the only ones that get ridiculously upset about what we're having for dinner. It makes us feel better. Thank you!

Amanda-The Sweet Details said...

Hey! I host a blog hop and would LOVE it if you came over and linked up! Here’s the link :) http://thesweetdetail.blogspot.com/search/label/Savory%20Sunday

D+B said...

Love your blog!! I am definitely going to be your new follower :) I would love it if you followed me to @ for-the-luv-of.blogspot.com that would be great :) I am just starting out, but I am excited to share new recipes, crafts, and makeup.. And Giving away giveaways on mineral make-up!

The Daily Smash said...

These look so yummy. Love your blog come and check out my blog

www.thedailysmash101.blogspot.com

Have a great day