Saturday, April 2, 2011

Diary of a Wimpy Mom.

Have you seen "What Lies Beneath"? Do you know this part?

You know, when Michelle Pfeiffer gets that drug that makes her freeze up and look all dead?

Well, it was like that. Let me 'splain. No, there is too much. Let me sum up:


When your child tells you his toof hurts, and you look inside his mouth to see a half black molar,

you know there's a big problem.

I'm sure you can see from that little face up there why I kept the knowledge of impending dental doom from my son until an hour before his appointment.

Gave him his "no more scared" valium/sprite cocktail,


dropped off my little kidlets, and headed to the dentist.

For the record, this dentist is amazing; his bedside manner is the best I've seen and the office rocks.

But, whew.

See, the dentist and I thought that putting the little Jacester to sleep was our best bet for an extraction, spacer, and two fillings. And they warned me.

"The anesthesiologist will have you hold your son on your lap, and as he picks out a prize, he will give him a shot in the arm. Now, moms tend to get a little upset as the sleeping medicine takes effect sometimes. It's kind of disturbing; their eyes roll back in their head. But it's normal."

Well, I prepared myself for that. You know, the whole eyes-rolling-in-back-of-head dealy-o.

There was no eye rolling.

My son looked frozen.

I was horrified.

One second he was crying about the shot, and the next he can't respond, isn't moving, his eyes are open,

I was about to check for a pulse, seriously. I'm disturbed. Still.

And then I took a picture with my phone.

Because that's the kind of crazy-A mother I am. Horrified. Disturbed. Picture. I think I wanted my husband to believe me.

Don't think I wasn't already vigilant about my kids brushing their teeth,

but pretty sure I'll be stepping it up a few notches.

19 comments:

Tracy's Trinkets and Treasures/Treasured Moments said...

Oh my gosh. That photo of your scared little boy breaks my heart.

Dara Lynn said...

Bless ya'lls hearts ! Back in the day, Mom would threaten me if I moved an inch while they came at your mouth with the shiny steel needles....it is so comforting to have the sleep dentistry but still you hate to see your little ones go through it.....something that helped my two sons was flouride sealants. It really helped from baby teeth to adult teeth. Both have had a huge success...just saying.... hang in there this weekend...:) You're a good Momma!

Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

Oh the poor little dude! Isn't it funny when kids are nervous and they do that finger pinching thing? They all seem to do it. Hope he's came down from his high okay :)

Trina said...

One of my worst mother memories is watching my scared 3yo go under anesthesia at the dentist. Horrible! I never want to do that again.

On the bright side, watching her wake up was hysterical. I wish I had THAT on camera.

gina3 said...

The first picture with the tears is just pitiful, the poor little thing. I'm sure he feels so much better now. My husband had to watch that happen to our son and watch them "cocoon" our son when he was 18 months old and needed a little stitching up and minor plastic surgery when he split his forehead open. I just wasn't tough enough to watch it.

Kimbo West @ a girl and a glue gun said...

poor kiddo! I got puked on a few months back...all over the hair..down the shirt...and what did I do? grab my camera. some things need to be documented. (princess bride is my favvvvvvvorite movie (and book!)

Layne Bushell said...

So grateful for modern medicine! Can you imagine having to pull it yourself? So scary for you and I'm glad he bounced back so quickly!

Meghan said...

My 4yo is being put under Monday for a cavity. They tried to do it w/o but he wouldn't cooperate so sedation it is. Guess I have something to look forward to. Eek!

Cindy said...

What a sweetie-pie! Bless his heart, sure hope his toofy is better soon!

The Coys said...

That is the worst - the holding them while they go limp. I cry just thinking about it. My daughter went in for tubes and the surgery and waiting were nothing compared to that moment of terror. I feel for you. I hope he is recovering well.

dena4kids said...

Poor Jace! I hate going to the dentist. Even if they are nice. I hope you both can recover soon.=)

Libby said...

Poor Jace...I can relate, except I didn't tell my parents--& I was 13-old enough to know better! Just glad it is all over for him.

Dede said...

Oh wow, that is a disturbing/scary moment!!! I've put off taking my kids cause I'm afraid it'll be terrible and my son will be put under...you may have convinced me to never go!

Just kidding...I'm really glad everything is okay!

ACW said...

Where I grew up, there were no sedatives, no putting under, no reassurance of any kind. Heck, we had to go in by ourselves, parents were not allowed in. Then we got candy for being so good.

Emily said...

That would be so hard! I don't think you can prepare yourself for that moment. I'm sorry you had to do that. I'm glad he is okay.

Mommybreath said...

My son is 6 and has (so far) survived Leukemia. I have seen some shit. Nothing is worse than anesthesia. I cringe at the thought of dental work and don't know how you survived. This post alone makes me want to pee my pants. I think I will go wake my children and brush thier teeth with straight baking soda/ peroxide solution until their tonails shine! ACK!
Much love in your direction.
Wimpy Mom? Nah...

WhettenWild said...

Yeah, totally disturbing. Yuck! Has the antibiotic helped the redness?

Teri said...

Ohhhh, wow. Poor little guy! That would seriously freak me out, too...that's the creepiest part of that movie! Is he feeling better?

Lisa said...

Your son's sad little face in that photo breaks my heart!!! Poor babe and mom!! At least he got knocked out. The worst is seeing your own child go under isn't it?

I love, love, love the blogger in you taking pictures of this whole scenario!

Hope he's feeling much better and there are no more black teeth in your house! I've gotta check my kids when they get home today!