Tuesday, March 8, 2011

A Little Q & A with the Daddy-o.

I've always thought of my Daddy-o as the man with all the answers.

Well, as I've gotten older, I've realized:

this man has all the answers.


And with that, I decided it was time for a little Q&A. Shall we proceed?


1. Who's your favorite child?

A. The oldest and youngest boys and girls. Mandi.
And no, Mandi did not change this. This was all me. Mandi.


2. 5 worst injuries you've incurred while at work:

A.
1- While using a piece of 1 by 2 as a push stick on the table saw, the blade caught it, pushing a sharp corner about 1/2 inch deep into my palm then throwing it over my shoulder slamming it against the wall on the other side of the garage.

2- After failing to remove a piece of scrap from the 12" power miter saw, the blade caught it, threw it at me and tore two or three pieces of skin from my knuckles.

3- While finishing off a nail using the claw end of a framing hammer because of the awkward positioning of the spot, the toe end of the hammer caught on something causing the claws to smash into my thumb nail, splitting it in half. I had to sit down to keep from passing out because of the pain.

4. While sharpening something, my finger nail touched the edge of the grinding wheel cutting a slot in it. I didn't notice until it went all the way through the nail to the flesh. I didn't know a finger could bleed that much!

5- While pounding something into place with a small sledge hammer, I missed the object but found the side of my knee. That one hurt for weeks.


OUCH! The whole cement on the knees/skin like hamburger meat is not going to make the cut?

3. You can only have 5 tools. The most important/favorite tools you would pick are:



1- Table saw!
2- Electric (preferably 18 volt cordless) Drill (you can't have too many cordless drills!)
3- Hammer
4- Power miter saw/Radial arm saw
5- Clamps


(I would like to interject that the Daddy-o has not one, not two, but three drills. It's awesome.)

4. Most surprising, best project turnout ever:

The foyer or the kids' playroom

(you should check those out if ya haven't already.)

5. Biggest bomb of a project ever:

A. Batch of wall paper in the hallway


6. Have you ever committed a felony?

A. Absolutely not, although I have contemplated it


I think we're going to need a little more info on that last one, there, Daddy-o.

7. 5 pieces of advice you would pass on that you've learned the hard way:

A.
1- Don't leave wood scraps on the miter saw table
2-
Norm knows everything (about wood and, the most important safety tip is these, safety glasses (see Norm touching the side of his glasses)
3- Don't touch the grinding wheel with your finger
4- Keep your eyes on the blade like you would keep your eyes on the road while driving
5- You only have so much time so go to your workshop even if it's freezing cold!






I'd like to give a big "thank you!" to the Daddy-o, and if you've got questions, please feel free to ask him here. I can share him. Maybe.

13 comments:

calikas said...

Your dad is so awesome! Always randomly helping you build these big projects. He kind of reminds me of my dad, he has so many drills and saws it's crazy!

slommler said...

What an awesome dad!! He gets my thumbs up as well!! I miss my dad...he is in heaven now building and golfing I am sure!! Enjoy your daddy...they are true treasures!
The foyer and kids' playroom are fabulous!! Love that foyer!!
Thanks for sharing your dad!
Hugs
SueAnn

WhettenWild said...

Mandi you are hilarious. Dad-- you rock the free world!!

WhettenWild said...

Oh BTW, I KNOW Dad said that I am his favorite. It's true. Right Dad? Right? Right???

gina3 said...

Best interview. He's just awesome. Here's a question for him: what was Mandi like growing up? What are the 3 craziest things she's done? I bet that would be interesting answers.

Char @ Crap I've Made said...

I loved this. My dad died about 8 years ago. We never got along...unless we were building something. I have strong urges to go back to my first house to break in and steal the window cornices we built.

And he recorded (on VHS) EVERY episode of New Yankee Workshop. I didn't even have to click to know exactly which Norm your dad was referring to.

Lori @ In Pursuit of Martha Points said...

Umm...the injuries scared me.

If someone like your DAD gets hurt...then...uhh...

Nope. I will stick with my little orange screwdriver, thank you very much.

You know...the kind with vodka?

Emily said...

Your dad ROCKS!!

Veronica said...

I am SO in love with the foyer! What an inspiration!

Layne Bushell said...

So I must confess....my Saturdays are spent with Norm too!!! Love that guy. I bet your Daddy-o could easily keep up with that guy!

Pamma said...

Your Dad is amazing! Lucky, lucky girl. I looked at the foyer--words fail me.
~Pam
pamspaintparlor.typepad.com

Teri said...

Love it! He's so talented! Sooo curious to hear what he has to say about the brown-paper floor.

Daddy-O said...

Wow! Forgot about the knees and ankles being eaten by the concrete. I didn't know that wet concrete could eat your skin if left on too long. But it does. Both knees and both ankles were like hamburger with large open sores. It was a fight to keep infection away. It took a month or two to somewhat heal as I remember.

BUT, the best part of the whole experience was when we FIRST met our soon-to-be daughter-in-law. Brannon's wife-to-be Rachael came to visit us for the very first time. My knees and ankles were throbbing so I would regularly elevate them as that gave some relief. I had my feet up on the bar area, leaning back to relax while the blood drained a bit to ease the swelling. Claudia and I were talking when she decided to multitask and clean the kitchen floor around me and under where I was sitting. She got down on her hands and knees to scrub a stubborn spot just under my elevated legs. I saw a spot she couldn't see and said "you missed a spot." Rachael had just entered the room. All she saw was her future father-in-law with his feet up, his wife scrubbing the floor under his lazy-looking posture as he told her she missed a spot! She said, "I wondered what I was getting myself into!"