Saturday, March 12, 2011

Keeping Dunder Mifflin in Business.

Both my kids kill a tree,

on a daily basis at school. I'm tellin' ya.

And I'm such a nice mommy-- when they turn their backs, I chuck it all. I can't help it: if I kept every little something they made or worked on, I'd have to devote a room to just school/artwork.

And so, like everyone else in bloggity-blog world, I knew I needed a wall just for the kiddos favorite work.

It might be the only dag-gammed wall undecorated left in the house, but let's just keep that between you and me.

My pants would be on fire if I said I was gonna keep it all.

But seriously, I've had this plan for months. Hello? 5 minutes here: slap down some vinyl, put up a couple nails and some jute string, bust out some clothes pins, and call 'er done. Took months to get on top of that?

Yeah, I said "nails" and "jute". I'm classy like that. Also, we eat dinner on a mattress on the floor, there's a busted-A pinto on cinder blocks in the front yard, and we're naming our next kid Cletus, just like his older brother.

I want you to know that this quote seemed sooo good in my head, at the time.

And also, that the boys tried to outdo each other by pinning up their own "Principal's Pride" awards. But we don't have a competition problem in this house. At all.

So, I thought I was done.

But I would be oh-so-wrong.

See, I perused Ana White's Catalog again. It was like a tractor beam. Sucked me right in.

And while I was looking for something completely and utterly different, instead I was saving things like this:

on my to-do list. For the tree I don't have to hang it from.

And then I saw a better idea for all this crafty crap my kids bring home:

her super-dee-duper, easy clip art rails. She used furring strips? Well, I'll be derned, I've got some of thems in the gay-rage.

Now, we are done, here. Bring on the schoolwork, boys. I can take it.

19 comments:

Teri said...

Holy frick you are funny, woman! I plan to try the vinyl thing when we get into the new house. Have you found it's easy to remove when you want to change it out? Great idea about the kids' artwork, though. You're right - you'd have to start a massive archive with all those kiddos you have! PS: How'd the kids like having "fart" on the wall?

Brittany Lynn said...

I am sooo mature that when I saw the word fart, I snorted. In fact, that's the only thing I got out of this whole post because I only have one kid who is two years old. I don't even keep the crap he brings home from Nursery in church. And the stuff my husband brings home better not be multi-colored crap. It better be green with ben's face on it.

Lori said...

no way! You just made all that up, you really don't have that on a wall...oh yes, let me see, it is Mandi's blog... of course, art is in fart! Can I sing... only you...

Tracy's Trinkets and Treasures/Treasured Moments said...

I think you need to make that swing bed! Fun wall, but everything you do is fun. You are the fun queen. And only you would put the word fart on your wall and make it look good.

Julie {BuildSewReap} said...

Love the post, funny as always and I really like both versions of the art hangers.

Not to make your life more difficult or anything but we have a bed in our back yard and guess what . . . I LOVE IT!!! We don't have any trees that could hold a swinging one but I happened to have a spare full sized bed frame that I made back a few apartments ago so when we moved into our house I said to the hubs, "Hey honey, wouldya mind carrying that huge heavy thing out back to see if it fits between those two trees over there?" He did and it does. I covered the mattress in 2 moving/storage bags meant for mattresses and duct taped them tight then got some outdoor fabric and made a fitted sheet for it. I tossed out some nice big pillows and people can't resist the bed in the trees when they visit . . . especially my dad who naps there, a lot.

slommler said...

Super duper idea!! I like it! And everyone needs a swing bed for sure...ha!!
Hugs
SueAnn

Jessica at Me Sew Crazy said...

Glad I am not the only Mommy out there who regularly trashes some of her kids Preschool paperwork...and this is only the eldest child! Not to mention all of the artwork she does on her own here at home! And yes, art is in fart - thank you for bringing that to my attention! Lol - your humor bowls me over every time :), I am pretty sure you need your own TV Show

gina3 said...

Okay, I kind of liked the jute and nails. It was simple and rustic. The 2nd version is pretty cute I must say though. Love the saying above it. It's hysterical. You're right, you can't keep it all. I have a huge plastic tub and together my son and I choose a few things each year to keep and the rest we throw out. That's going to be hard this year though. No trees killed at his school. I rarely see paper. They do it all online and keep it in their "e-locker" and turn it all in by email or whatever. He's only in 8th grade.

Jo (@ boogaloo) said...

you make me laugh out loud and shoot coffee out of my nose each time I read your posts. thank you!!

Heather@The Black's Best said...

You had me laughing my head off by the end of this post...you are frickin hilarious! I love the end result of your art project. I have a couple of kids who kill a tree daily too. I love the vinyl saying. With 3 boys, they would think this is fu-u-ny.

Kimberly said...

i LOVE the quote on the wall and fun way to display the art! :)

Emily said...

That is super cute!

Leca Unplugged said...

You know there are lots of other words that rhyme with art besides fart but that's the only one I ever think of. I'm pretty sure my kids would love that on our art wall.

Lori @ In Pursuit of Martha Points said...

I want the tree bed.

I don't have a tree either.

I still want the tree bed.

Wait...was there other stuff in this post?

All I have in my head now is the tree bed.

Creative Decor by Brooke said...

That really is a great idea. I'm not a keeper either. I let them display thing in their room on their cork boards but when it gets full then something has to come down. By then they are usually ready to just chuck them. So it works out well.
Brooke

alimoll said...

Mandi, Mandi, Mandi....can I just tell you how much I love reading your blog? I LOVE READING YOUR BLOG! Love it, love it! You are hil-arious! Thanks for bringing a smile to my face every freaking day! :)

WhettenWild said...

I need something like that! I love it!

Spencer & Lorilyn Crum said...

It's like my Christmas card holder, but horizontal!

P.S. Please oh please make that hanging bed!!!

tchris said...

I L.O.V.E. that quote!!! Can I use it? =)