Thursday, November 4, 2010

A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away. . .

I was a little girl. And my awesome daddy-o made our family an awesome sleigh.
Here it is. Ain't it a beauty?


I am going to take this moment to point out a couple things.
1. If you live(d) in my hood, please take note of the surroundings of my childhood home. Hello? Where is everyone??
and
2. I would like to stop a moment and ask my mother:

"MOM WHAT THE HECK AM I WEARING?!?"
Let's go for a sleigh ride! In the snow! With a skirt on! The long blue socks'll keep ya warm! AND the velcro Keds!

My mom cannot be blamed for that disaster-catastrophe. Sorry, Mom. I have a good enough memory to remember that I tried to wear that skirt every.other.day when I was 5.

But I digress.

One day, as I pulled out the 'rents mower to cut the lawn, (see, they were on vacation AGAIN. Hey Mom and Dad? How 'bout staying in town for a change?) I spotted the sleigh hiding away. And the wheels started spinning.

See, this sleigh over the years became an adorable Christmas decoration.
And it looked like so through the late 80's/early 90's:


Consequently, it has seen some serious weather.

Years of weather.


So, I got permission from the 'rents to give this sleigh a little re-do for the upcoming holiday season. Aren't they so nice?
(Sorry about the vacation crack, Mom and Dad. No really, it was just a joke.)

So I said to myself,
"What the heck color should Santa's sleigh be?"
and then I asked the whole world.

And Jeff said: "Red."
Now, see, Jeff's answers are always so definitive. He said red; he meant red. Discussion over.

See, I answer like this:
"Black. . . ??"
Anyways, just a little trivia into our marriage.


So, Santa's sleigh is red, then.

Didn't hurt that the daddy-o had left over fire engine red paint. (Seriously, sorry about the vacation crack).

And here we are, after 1,248 coats of paint.

I'm thinking if maybe I give it 2 coats per day until Thanksgiving, it might be ready.


At least I've got it registered with the state.

13 comments:

Heidi@TheCraftMonkey said...

DUDE! Your Dad MADE a sleigh? Like, "hey guys, I'll be in the garage building a sleigh!" THAT is awesome! I SO wish we had been neighbors, I'd have been rocking a skirt on the sleigh with you! {Is it too late to become neighbors and rock skirts on the sleigh?}

Lori said...

love it! Want it! Would so love to sit in it! What a great memory.

dena4kids said...

That is AWESOME! I also L-O-V-E that pic of you.(heeheee...I am one to talk.Atleast you have clothes on and didn't run around in your underoos!=)

gina3 said...

OMG that is awesome! You got a full size sleigh sitting around the garage that your dad built...amazing. The new red color? perfect! I have to admit we have a full size surrey sitting in our garage doing nothin. My dad didn't build it though.

Lori @ In Pursuit of Martha Points said...

Having grown up where there is no snow, I have no framework for sleds.

But that one look bloody awesome.

Is there hot chocolate too? Tell me there's hot chocolate.

Creative Decor by Brooke said...

First of all, your dad is a serious craftsman. After seeing what he did in his house and now the sleigh. All I can say is WOW!
I love it red. Your hubby was right. I will be beautiful. What a treasure.
Brooke

Emily said...

I think it turned out awesome! You did such a good job.

Teri said...

I freakin' love it!! How is it pulled? Is it like a toboggan, or is it pulled by horses or dogs or large neighbour children? I'm hoping she's gettin' some vinyl. PLEASE say she's gettin' some vinyl.

Just so you know, I just had a vision of that sleigh with vinyl flames and the words "Mirthmobile" on the side. Then I could say, "Ahh...the "Mirthmobile". Now, I don't know if they're saying "mirthmobile" or "Murphmobile" or "smurfmobile", but I'm sure you'll get the reference.

Mandi said...

What the french. You have the coolest dad ever. Do you think he will adopt me? You can be Mandi #1 and I will be Mandi #2. I love this and I cannot wait to see what you pull off...

love your guts lady!
mandi

ps I am coming up to SLC on the 17th and bringing your craptastic chair! Email me your # so we can make sure to meet up!

Pressed Petals said...

how neat is that! i LOVE the santa plate! what a great memory. i think we all had our fave clothes that we'd wear no matter the weather!

Layne Bushell said...

waaay cool redo! So are you going to give all the neighborhood kids rides on this thing? Where are the horses??? Love it!

Cathy M~(checkitoff) said...

luv the red! go hubby! you are awesome!! hugs, Cathy

Tracy's Trinkets and Treasures said...

How am I missing 3 posts from you? I had to catch up! Love the sleigh and mini skirt. Did you get the camera? Oh my with the poop!