Sunday, December 5, 2010

The Darkest, Deepest, Depths of the Dungeon.

I want to tell you what exciting, totally rocking, off.the.hook. kind of weekends we have here in this house.


Oh Em Gee, you are going to be so jealous.

Our Saturday project of the last 6 months?

The storage of food.

Yes, my friends, it's that exciting over here. I know, I know. You can only dream of such awesome excitement in your life.

See, I head to the store and bring home a little extra of sales every Saturday,

and then Jeff slaves away to properly store and organize it.

And why do we do this, you ask? Besides that food prices are anticipated to raise significantly? Or that I try to not take my 4 children to the store as much as is humanly possible (seriously, it is sooo dysfunctional)? Besides the more important reason?

If you've ever lived in an area that had a major disaster, you might know the feeling of either not being able to get to the store, OR heading to a store with shelves completely cleaned out.

Therefore, we've built up our supply, and stuck it in the dungeon. Er, I mean the dark, cold, cemented spooky basement.

Like I said, The Dungeon.


Now, you can get some pretty cool looking shelves. They have labels, and they dispense cans all nifty-like. You could go that route.

Or you could be like us and go the redneck route.

But I'm telling you, the redneck route is the way to go, man. I'm telling you, give the cinderblock/plywood method the "Tough Shed", drive-your-truck-on-top test, versus the same test with those metal can dispenser dealy-o's and tell me how it goes.

Actually, both would probably be a disaster. But it might be a fun test. Let me know.

Anywho, I've been the coupon-clipping, sales-watching Ho these last few weekends--

and after massive work of shelving and re-stocking last weekend, I can actually see what we have. We like to call it "The Store". Or the "Dungeon Store". What ever mood I'm in, see.

Taken advantage of all the cereal sales in the last little bit. Every box I've bought was $1.50 or less.


And, ahem, I might wanna slow down on that- those cereal boxes are 2 deep. Good grief.

20 comments:

Tracy's Trinkets and Treasures said...

WOW and that is all I have to say about that.

gina3 said...

If we had a basement, I would do that. Unfortunately, our decent sized pantry is all we got. With all the cheerios and some chex cereals I see, you could make my Texas Trash chex mix recipe for snacks! (and still have tons of cereal left for breakfast or whenever.)

WhettenWild said...

I know where I'm coming for food =) That is cereal heaven for Con!

Dede said...

Wow, your shelves are AWESOME...Seriously! We built our own shelves, but the cinder blocks are SO much easier, and yes, they even look better than ours. I LOVE IT.

The Mac's House said...

I'm with WhettenWild, we'll make a bee line to your house. Starting to clear out of our basement of JUNK and this is what I want to do.

Prediction from Accuweather is 50% of the US will have snow for Christmas, that's incredible. Things slow to a crawl around here with just a bit of snow.

I've done the 12 days without power after a hurricane with some reserve of water but thank goodness for the help of water for those of us on well systems. It was a tough 12 days but we learned alot about being self sufficient and what we could live without. I commend your storage!

Lori @ In Pursuit of Martha Points said...

Mostly I love that your emergency stash of food for blizzards-natural disasters - gouging prevention includes several gallons of soda.

You are MY kind of bunker, woman.

Mandi @ Vintage Revivals said...

You are a rockstar!! I used to bea good couponeer but then I became an even better diy thrifter.... You are motivating me to start again! Ps if perchance I don't how's about starting a shelf just for me? Mmmmkay thanks

Love your guts
mandi

Cathy M~(checkitoff) said...

girl you are READY! i keep a lot of canned goods on hand. that is a whole lotta cereal!! love your posts! they make me smile! hugs, Cathy (yes still envious!!)

Krista @ Craving Some Creativity said...

Wow!!! I don't think I'll every be on that scale...but we do have a cold room in the new place that I am excited to be able to store a ton of stuff in!!! Very inspiring!

Jen said...

OH, that reminds me...I should probably go organize the mess of crap I have in my storgae room! BUT I DON'T WANT TO!!!! We're in the process of switching rooms because where we had the storage room is actually closet space for the 2 bedrooms that are (FINALLY) being finished in the basement. WHY didn't someone tell us that when we moved in??? Sheesh! And to complicate the whole process, EVERYTHING has to be dusted off as we go because there's 2 inches of drywall dust on it. UUUGH. MAYBE someday mine will look as great as yours does, but probably not anytime soon. I'll be visiting this post often for motivation. Thanks, Mandi.

Emily said...

I am jealous. I wish I had somewhere to put food storage like that. I only have under my steps and that has everything else I have to store...like christmas, baby clothes, suitcases.

Ashley said...

THANK YOU! for posting this, my hubby puts up such a fuss whenever I go to the store and buy 60 cans of corn, or 23 boxes of cereal. So I showed em your blog and said "see!" and it shut him right up. :)

Rachel said...

I am jealous, especially of the cereal. We have the same shelf set up, but we are not nearly as organized. BTW can I come to your house next week and get pictures of my kids in your sleigh?

Jen @ Canadian Rhapsody said...

I want to have a stockpile. :( Not enough room in our current place.

What are your plans for rotation? Will you be able to eat all of that cereal before it expires? I guess with 4 kiddos, cereal probably goes fast!

Leca Unplugged said...

That. Is. AWESOME. You rock!

Spencer & Lorilyn Crum said...

I spy some Fruity Pebbles. Nummy.

dena4kids said...

I love your dungeon! That is AWESOME! Can I just say the redneck way is ALWAYS the best way!LOL!

My Name's Sarah said...

You've inspired me! We don't even have our 72 hour kits :(

Teri said...

Ok, so first of all? You are so organized it makes me throw up a little. Second of all? You are so organized it brings a tear of joy to my eye.

You rock, lady. Especially for going redneck. Those shelves bring me back to my childhood, man!

Leserlee said...

When I was a kid we had cinder block book shelves in our living room. Seriously. I think until we moved to Fayette-nam, NC and my dad built some books shelves (that sadly stayed in the house when we moved. He uses a router and everything, and those bad boys were beautiful). I almost miss cinder block shelves. Almost. Maybe we'll have to do some in our food storage room. Maybe I'll paint them to match the can roller, which is quite handy for cans, not quite so handy for cereal and cake mix boxes.