Tuesday, November 23, 2010

The Colonel's 11 Herbs & Spices.

Last month, our microwave stopped working. Dang microwave.
It was making thee weirdest smell/noise combo.

Reminds me of the time my bro told me about when his microwave wasn't shutting all the way on his mission, and they still used it. Hello?? He said every time one of them walked past, they'd just be sure to cover up their junk.

How does that help?

But I digress.

Those oven hood ones: they are waaay too expensive. Dang you, microwave makers.

Anywho, in order to replace the over-priced microwave, everything needed to come down from the cabinet above.
And that's when I remembered that I was going to do something about that spice cabinet. Such a disaster.

Imagine stirring your sauce, reaching above for a spice, and having 10 other spices come crashing down on you. Occasionally in your food.

That makes me about as mad as when my kids hit me in the face, accidentally or purposely. Almost as mad as when the hubby starts playing World of Warcraft again. Almost.
Anyway, I purchased these nifty little jars at the Hob Lob in my past life, (okay or like, 5 months ago,)

attached some cute little labels to them,

and during this process discovered that spices, in strong doses, stink. Really stink.
Cinnamon excepted.

Strong dose of cumin? Dry-heaving. Cilantro? I love cilantro. But dried and in a huge amount=horse manure. Honestly.

So, for now, these are sitting in this old egg basket thingy.

And they kind of almost fit. And it's only temporary,

'cause soon they'll have their own shelves, kinda sorta like this inspiration from BH&G:

It'll involve lots of choice molding and cutting into the drywall. Except this time, the cutting will be intentional. Can't wait.

22 comments:

Kristi said...

Love you temporary fix, but can't wait to see the one you make!

Mallory said...

Ugh, WoW.

calikas said...

LOVE

1 Funky Woman said...

There you go again with your nifty machine and the labels! I love the little jars and they look so cute in that basket even if for the time being! Amazing how much we use the micro when we don't have it!

Meg

gina3 said...

Oh I like this idea. Can't wait to see how you do it. The jars/labels are so cute and the spices are pretty in them. Sorry for the loss of your micro.

Cathy M~(checkitoff) said...

ok, add to my list: spice envy (along with camera envy!) Good luck on your micro, cannot live without mine!! isn't it crazy how one thing leads to another? hugs, Cathy

Emily said...

I love all the little jars! They are so cute.

chris w said...

ooooooh - I have always wanted one of those!
(That spice cabinet - not a microwave the fries junk.)

Pressed Petals said...

spices falling from the sky...i feel ya! i love, love, love what you did with the spices. i may have to copy you on this one too. can i just copy everything you do?

Lori @ In Pursuit of Martha Points said...

I want both a hood style microwave and a spice rack.

I do not see either of those in my immediate future.

Will live vicariously through you instead.

Leca Unplugged said...

I'm so in with this one. I have the worst spice cupboard EVER! Whenever I'm cooking I start dreaming of a new kitchen because if the spices don't fit then you might as well just do in the whole thing. Then I think, well, a new kitchen? I might as well just get a new house. Then I think I'm crazy and by then the meal is almost ready and the spice rack gets forgotten again.

Spencer & Lorilyn Crum said...

That will look so classy and loverly.

Ever considered the microwave in the wall approach? After the initial shock and horror of it, it really isn't so bad...

Layne Bushell said...

love it love it love it.

WhettenWild said...

Those turned out really cute. What'd ya do with those weird spice labels? Ya know, the ones we've never heard of?

Come do my spice cabinet next! ;)

Mandi @ Vintage Revivals said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mandi @ Vintage Revivals said...

Why must you be such a rockstar? Seriously you are making me feel completely inadequate. Mostly cause the spices that I own consist of salt, pepper,cinnamon, seasoning salt and garlic powder. Lets just say its a good thing that we have the restaurant otherwise my kids would eat just like Uncle Rico...steak, and thats it. Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Love your guts (and your Dad's)
mandi #2

Kimmy said...

SO lovely.... love your photos. Makes me want to clean out the cabinet... or maybe not! ha! ~Kim

littlebeachbum said...

Mandi, I love that shelving idea! Can't wait to see your spin on it!

Tracy's Trinkets and Treasures said...

That will look great. I already like the little jars.

Teri said...

They look so cute! Not like mine - mismatched jars sticky with that kitchen-air grease that comes with poor housekeeping over time.

I *must* fire that maid.

dena4kids said...

Those are really cute jars and I love the shelf idea! Come on over when you are finished with yours!=)

ErinKJ said...

I'm coming to this a little late! can you tell me more about those FAB labels?!?! ek_jensen@yahoo.com