Monday, October 25, 2010

Well it's about time.

Months ago,

months and months and months ago,

I dreamt of a kitchen island redo.
(hey look! Sometimes my kitchen is clean!)
Because, hey, as lovely as this faux wood laminate is, I wanted something more.

I just wasn't sure what. And so this idea sat, and sat, and sat some more.

And then one day, it happened--

I was at a neighbor's place, and I loved her kitchen island. And I said to myself,

"self, you can do this. This way is so easy! Grow a pair already and get to work."

And so I did.

Now, I am in love with v-groove paneling.

It is the fraternal twin of beadboard; so often overlooked, yet so lovely. I rarely see it, 'cept for in maybe Pottery Barn mags. Why? Why?

After running my 8 ft by 4 ft sheet through the ole table saw, here's what we got.

Pay no attention to the errant shoe. Dang kids.

Of course things just can't be cut and dry here. How many projects take less time than you think? Pfft. I needed to cut out a spot for my electrical outlet. . . so . . .

with a serious peptalk (you can do this! You can do this!) and the help of this awesome powertool

(did you need this back Brit and Rach? My bad. . .)

I started cutting the square for the outlet. And all heck's gonna break loose if I cut in the wrong spot. It can't be fixed; it will be a complete waste of a piece. . .

Please don't cut in the wrong spot, puhlease. . .
And it was in the WRONG spot.

Just playin'.

I opted to go with an antique white paint, as seen in exhibit A*.

(*above picture is exhibit A.)

Now, love corbels. I knew they could add a touch of class to my classless life kitchen. But they are expenseeeve.
I just checked Lowe's; for a similar size and design I would pay $89. EACH.

And when I saw this at the Hob Lob, (they're not real, but they are spectacular) for . . wait for it. .

$15, I figured these were a no-brainer.

This is where I beg you to never look underneath my counter. They don't quite touch the underneath of the counter; hey, I had to hang them, and I could only do what I could do.

I still felt like it needed something though. . .

Yes, it needs baseboard.
And this might come as a bit of a shock, but I actually used a piece of baseboard,

as baseboard. Who knew I could use the correct piece of trim in the correct way?

And here we are today. Done, done, and done. ? .

And while it's definitely an improvement, I cannot say that I have sold myself on the antique white paint I chose. Perhaps I will paint it all black. Only time will tell. But for now, I'll just enjoy the non-laminate-ness.

Aw heck, while I'm at it, and we're already in the kitchen anyways,

after devoting an entire afternoon, my pantry is as organized as it can be.

for now.

25 comments:

Heidi@TheCraftMonkey said...

wow! Looks awesome! great find on those corbels! I see you have the same kind of pantry monster that I have!!

Kristi said...

Wow! I love it! Great choice to add the molding around the bottom!
Love your pantry and that sign above it too! I'm showing your pantry to Charles because that's exactly the kind of thing I want in mine.

Mandi said...

I love it. There is not much more to say, it turned out so amazing I wish I had somewhere to do this! Also when I was reading this the hubs walked in and said "wow food in a pantry what a great idea." Doesn't he know that projects take precedence over food? So who knows between your awesome island and your stocked pantry the Gubler's might just be moving in! (Can I sleep on the So Craptacular pillow?)

WhettenWild said...

I love it! Your pantry looks great. Hope it lasts longer than mine would!

Lori @ In Pursuit of Martha Points said...

I now have pantry envy.

We have a tall cupboard that we call "the pantry," but it's sort of like calling the 12 inch deep plastic fish decorated thing a "pool."

Pressed Petals said...

love it! love the color too! keep it, keep it!

Emily said...

I love the island. I think it looks awesome! I wish I had something that cool.

Man I wish my pantry was as big or as organized as yours. Mine is a tiny little closet. Although, looking at yours has given me an idea. maybe if I took out the long shelves and made it more like yours with all the different shelf sizes I might be able to do something with it!

Meredith said...

OK - Where did you get the jars labeled Pancake Mix, Powdered Sugar, Etc. I like how tall (and skinny?) they are!

Renee said...

That looks beautiful! I'm so happy you used your table saw! Yay!

gina3 said...

I like it white. I don't know what other colors are in your kitchen but if you don't like it white, maybe you could pull in another color. If you paint it black, the corbels and baseboards won't contrast and stand out. I like them being a different color because it makes each part including the boards standout. Looks waaaaaay better than the original. I'm jealous of the organized pantry and the little chalkboard labels. That's so cute.

Jen said...

I have wanted to do this for soooooo long on my island too! Maybe now, after getting a little motivational kick in the bootie from you, I can actually do my own!! Thanks for sharing! =)

chris w said...

So.Jealous.

You did a fabulous job.

dena4kids said...

Does that shelf say Junk we don't eat? LOL! It looks great...for now!=)

dena4kids said...

OH and I love the island! Great now I have island envy! Thanks Mandi...thanks alot!

Janelle said...

I love your island! It makes me happy.

I love your pantry.

I love your statement- "don't look under the counter" I can only do what I can do." That is my whole life.

I can't remember if I tried to call you today or I just thought about calling you today. But I want to talk to you tomorrow!

Lori said...

Does that tool work? I am thinking about getting one, the Dremel sp? thing. That or a jigsaw?

Layne Bushell said...

So when are you moving in...to my house. My pantry needs work, my walls need painting...he he he. Love the island and the pantry labels...way cool!

Rebecca D said...

Wow... I feel like your level of productivity is really coming between us... I know I won't up my game, so please take up my more slothful pace so we can remain bloggy friends...

Tracy's Trinkets and Treasures said...

I loved your story telling as much as your island redo. Awesomeness as always.

AM from White House, Black Shutters said...

I really love how this turned out, especially the way the dark trim on the bottom looks with your dark countertops. I was reading this and totally did NOT see that coming. It was like a surprise ending that made a good movie even better. :)

Cathy M~(checkitoff) said...

it turned out awesome!!! I seriously have no idea how you do it? with a little cute rugger around? I am impressed! hugs,Cathy

Leca Unplugged said...

The kitchen looks great. I think the country white is perfect. I can't believe you just whip this stuff out. My mister would be wiggin out if I touched his power tools.

TracyMB @ Crow's Feet Chic said...

Wow... fabulous job; LOVE the corbels and the ivory with the black baseboards. Scrumptious. By the way, DD says your treats are WAY too high in the pantry. :)

Anny said...

This is incredible (as always). I love how personalized and beautiful your home is. I really admire your style and ability to run it through an entire home :)

Teri said...

It's gorgeous, Mandi! You are so inspiring...Cliff and I are thinking of buying a house, and your revamps make me think that we might be able to buy something that needs some cosmetic work and actually do the work ourselves...

What an awesome-looking pantry! Want to do mine next?