Sunday, September 12, 2010

I feel jipped.

See, I didn't have a mantel for any of the holidays last year; the mantel got completed sometime in like, February. And lemme tell you,

I am big on thee ole mantel changeup. Big.

Now, I've been working away on my Halloween decor, but my hubby said I couldn't put out the spooky stuff until, like, October 7th. That's what he said. (dang you, Jeffrey!)

So that leaves me with fall. Get it? "Leaves"? "Fall"?

That was bad. Sorry. I'll make like a tree and get out of here.

Anywho- this mantel decor: I'm on a strict no-moolah spending policy right now. Do you ever go through phases were yer just sick and tired of spending? 'Cause I am sick of it. I'm not buying anything right now. Oh, we're out of toilet paper? Good luck with that.

But I digress. As I was saying, everything needed to be already in the house for this mantel change up.
(mantel? mantle? whatever).

Giant sunflowers (I already had),

fall leaves (I already had),

fake apples that look more delicious than real ones.

Oh oh! I can make one of those cool banners that all you peeps have been making. Those are free.


Might have gone a little overboard with the glitter spraypaint.

But once you start spraying, you can't stop. Try it.

And of course, I thought to myself, "self, you need an autumn sign of some sort." And since I have an unhealthy relationship with food, I came up with this.

And this is where I knew this sign would look better with a frame. Uuuuuuuhhhhh. I hate doing frames. Fine. .. but I'm not painting it, dang it!

I just used leftover scraps.

And yeah, I put a can on top of the corners to keep them down while they dry. Everything's real high-tech and high-quality around here.

And finally, one of the perks of being able to cut my own vinyl is constantly changing what's on the ole front door.

Maybe I can let go of this assinine obsession with summer now.

18 comments:

Tracy's Trinkets and Treasures said...

I like all of your no spending money fall decor. I want to know how to do a no spending and no time spent change? I am spending way too much time doin stuff. Did you use a Cricut on your door? If so how did you transfer it?

Lori said...

picture perfect! You did a great job with things already at the house. Darn, I spent $15.00 on mine. I feel bad.

Kristi said...

I love the Autumn garland. It's too cute! You did a great job considering that you didn't spend any money. I'm doing Fall until Oct 1st and then I'm doing Halloween. After that, it's back to Fall until Thanksgiving and then Christmas after that. Whoohoo!

~ The Speckled Dog

Creative Decor by Brooke said...

You did a great job and just using what you had? Looks great! I want a Cricut machine, Bad!
Brooke

dena4kids said...

That is so cute! Can you believe I have decorated foe Halloween! You inspired me! I found some cute little haunted houses at a thrift store and decorated the ole piano. They are really cute.
Love the mantle(or mantel=)!

Emily said...

Those flowers are awesome! I love fall colors. I would leave them up all year long.

Jessie Pepper said...

So love what you did!! And who says we have to spend money for every holiday every year??!!! Love the banner (never to much glitter or sparkle) Thanks for the insperation!! Love the vintage sign!! and I might have to try the vinyl on the door trick!!

Lori @ In Pursuit of Martha Points said...

Are you daunted by ANYTHING woman?

When I need a quickie frame I go straight to my trustworthy black electrician's tape.

Classier than duct tape, don't you think?

Andrea said...

Love it!!! I am on a no spending thing too right now...it sucks!! I want to decorate too, unfortunately I don't have stuff on reserve at home to get creative with. You make me want a vinyl machine.

WhettenWild said...

I love it! It looks so pretty!

Teri said...

I am in love with all things fall, and I am super impressed you were able to create all that swag without spending a dime!

Spencer & Lorilyn Crum said...

I'm so over spending money too. But then whenever I says to my self, "self, you're not going to spend any money right now", I always think of great cool projects that require spending money! Ahhh!

I LOVE your autumn banner sign, I've been fixing to make one a banner sign myself, all I need is some more paper and... See! Spending more money!

FastForwardingThroughLife said...

Can you teach me the ways of framing? Looks craptacular to me!

Rebecca D said...

I need to do a little fall decorating myself... Thanks for inspiring me!

1 Funky Woman said...

Totally laughed at this one! Your Hubby said no to bringing out the scary stuff out until Oct. well I think mine knows he has no say, I think your fall decor looks great. I have way too much Halloween to wait until October!

xoxo
Meg

homespun1 said...

ewwwww!!! that machine sounds cool...our bussiness uses cutout vinyl graphics sooooo you have inspired me too hit hubby up for some stuff...your so inspiring...thanks for sharing!

Halls Huddle said...

When did you find the time for this gorgeous mantle with Seneca Crane on the brain? I love it!

Sarah and Brian said...

Where did you get the garland? I love it!!! What would you think of coming over to my house and giving me some ideas?