Sunday, September 19, 2010

Are We There Yet?

I was completely prepared to hear "Are We There Yet?" a dozen times.

Also, "How much longer?"

"This is taking too long!"

and so forth.



But what I didn't really expect to hear (or say), on this 10 hour round trip, Griswald family vacation, was

"I told you guys this was a long trip. Settle in. Get over it." (times 5)

"If one more person asks 'how much longer', I'm going to busts some heads."

"You guys have taken much, much longer trips than this and you complained 10 times less."

"Seriously? It won't turn on? I swear I charged the battery for the DVD player before we left."

"Really? you have to go potty already? And you decided to tell me, after we passed the last stop for miles and miles?"


"Just hold it a little longer."

Just a little longer, bud."

"Oh forget it-- you're going to have to go in the brush. So we don't have like a bottle for him or something?"

"THE ONLY REASON YOU SHOULD EVER SCREAM LIKE THAT IS IF YOU LOST A LIMB!"

"Stop spitting on each other!"

"Just scoot away from each other!"

"If we can just get SpongeJohn GrouchyPants to take a nap back there, things would go a lot better."


"Stop poking each other with crayons!"

"Oh my gosh--crayons are not that sharp."

"Just starting answering 'yeah' everytime they ask how much longer."

"Yeah."

"Yeah."

"Yeah."

"I shoulda built a contraption that all I have to do is pull a cord and something whacks Jamison in the back of the head."


"I never really understood why my dad would freak out when we were rambunctious in the backseat. Now I get it."

"Dude, it is not cold in here."
"I already turned the cold air off!"

"Oh no you did NOT just say now you're hot 10 seconds later!"

"Holy crap-- the cold is OFF! We are sweating profusely up here!"

"Um, Mandi-- I think you turned the cold off in the front and left the back air on cold. See look there."

Silence.

"Well d#$%."

"Jamison! Did you hear what mom said? We are not in Utah anymore! Now we're in Indiana!"
"Do they speak a different language here?"

And finally,

"That was the awesomest trip EVER!"
"So does that mean the drive was totally worth it, or was it too long?"
"TOO LONG!"

Wimps.

13 comments:

Heidi@TheCraftMonkey said...

bahahaha! sounds like a great trip! we are leaving bright and early Thurs. AM driving from Louisiana to California! It will take 2 days, about 15 - 17 hours each day of driving. We have done this trip about 5 times in the last 3 years...I don't learn lessons very easily apparently..

Tracy's Trinkets and Treasures said...

Where did you go? You have been traveling a ton lately. Are you wiped out? Great photos as always. I wanna get in that pool when I see the photos of the water.

cranberry cottage said...

A little trip down memory lane for myself. You will soon forget stuff like that.

Your trip looks fun anyhow.

Suzie Button said...

Oh, does this bring back memories of four children aged 1, 6, 7 and 8 years old in the car going from Ohio to Maryland!
thanks for stopping by, you're in the drawing for the keep calm pictures! Just Keep calm and keep on driving! ha!

Creative Decor by Brooke said...

Oohh, I am so with you on the drive. The problem is I am the one saying "Are we there yet". I am a terrible traveler. Looks like a fun trip though. It is always nice to get away for a while.
Brooke

Halls Huddle said...

Was that the Mesquite adventure you were talking about? Looks like a blast! Great pictures, as always. When are you going to teach a photography class? I'm serious!

WhettenWild said...

LOL! You are so funny! Looks like you guys had fun. I'll be expecting a full report later today =).

Teri said...

Love, love, love this post. The way you juxtapose the photos against the dialogue is brilliant, Mandi.

Ok, enough seriousness. Sounds like you had a blast!

BTW - I'm sorry if it seemed like I was ignoring your request for a card tutorial! I definitely will post one soon...I just have to try to figure out the best way to do it! :) Thanks for the request. It makes me feel good to think that someone wants to learn "crapting" from me ;) - especially someone as talented as you!!

Emily said...

I'm glad you guys had fun this weekend.

Spencer & Lorilyn Crum said...

That's why my parents gave us Nyquil on long trips. Knocked us right out :)

I'm still up for adoption if you're looking to add another member to your family.

Mandi said...

Hey! I am only telling you this because we are BBFF's. One of the producers at studio 5 called me and told me that I made the top 5.....Right after I posted that. The project that I demo'd was, you guessed it, the tin foil nightstand. I didnt want them to second guess choosing me because I HIGHLIGHTED what awful things people thought about it. I will repost it in a few days...after I win. I know I have no guts. Do you still love me? Also on another note, You should have let me know you were passing through st geezy. I would have taken you guys to dinner at our restaurant!

mandi

Leca Unplugged said...

I'm so with you on this one. I felt like I was riding along in the back seat. Either that or you stole the lines from our last road trip.

Anny said...

ROFL thanks for the virtual trip along :)