Monday, July 26, 2010

The quest

to frame in (nearly) all of my 34 windows is three steps closer, my friends.

And what a change it hath made. So very simple, so very easy to do (anyone else hear "Yan Can Cook" in that last phrase?), relatively cheap. . .

and I've got a whole new feel to my boudoir.

Here's the windows before I got to work.

I would like to take this opportunity to cuss myself out for wasting the time and the completely frustrating energy on hanging a curtain rod, only to take it down and put it up higher to clear the molding. (self: dang you.)

So, in keeping to my own personal code of not giving a hoot about molding's original purposes, I used some purty baseboard for the tops, baseboard for the bottoms, and some cheap cheap casing for the sides.

Got to keep project costs down, of course. And hey, I like casing, just not all the way around every.single.thing in the house.

And as usual, I used back-cut pieces to make those gorgeous corners.

Like so.

(this is me being lazy showing you my living room window corners since I have no daylight anymore for a shot in here. And why didn't I clean up the spackle before taking this shot?? It'll haunt me to my grave.)

Now, I'm gonna level with ya. My dad cuts those pieces for me. It's not that I can't do it or I'm sceered; no. It would just go something like this:

"Okay. . . um. . . let's see here. . . I cut it on a 45. . . oh wait the other 45. . . and then I um, check the specs on the rotary girder. . . "
I don't know what to say. My brain has a thick candy shell. Plus, it takes my dad like 30 seconds to cut them instead.


And voila; we're done, man.

(please forgive my totally craptacular window-picture taking skills; dang you exposure!)

Honest to goodness, cheap and easy, and a whole new look.

Not me, the room. Geez.

10 comments:

Layne Bushell said...

oh your commentaries leave me chuckling for hours!

Lori @ In Pursuit of Martha Points said...

Frustrating that you seem to be able to do this so easily.

Yes, just a little bit.

Damnit.

Spencer & Lorilyn Crum said...

Awesome!

I wish I could update our trim. Spence and I got in a fight about it because he didn't want to, and I ended up crying hysterically at work for .5 hours because of it. Good times.

And I agree, figuring out which way is the 45 degrees is hard.

dena4kids said...

candy coated shell...heehee..good times. Love the windows girlie! Come on over to my house!!!

Creative Decor by Brooke said...

I do love that look. I sure makes everything look really rich. I also have no trim on my windows. I have long wanted to take that task on, it's still on the list. Love how you just take the bull by the horns, so to speak. Ha
Brooke

WhettenWild said...

That looks so good! That picture of my little Johnny makes me miss him so much. Give him a big hug for me.

gina3 said...

I have the before windows all over my house. I've said it before but I need to borrow your Daddy-O for a weekend to do awesome stuff at my house.

Emily said...

That looks awesome.

Kate said...

I'm REALLY loving the molding...yes I am a molding-lover to begin with, but look how much they add the room! Wow! Looks fabulous!

Teri said...

It looks awesome, Mandi! What a difference!