Friday, July 30, 2010

Laziest mom. Ever.

School's gonna start.

Morning school. Like, as in, I don't have a kid only going to afternoon kindergarten.

This is a problem. Let's take today, for example. Very typical day:

Nearly 11:00 am; still in the jammies.

So it's a problem.

I think I might have been thee only mom totally, completely overjoyed that school is now starting at 9:00 am, as opposed to the earlier, 8:30.

A half hour is a wonderful thing.

Anywho, two little improvements have been made to this here home to help lazy mom.

1. Took this discarded drawer front.

Sanded it down, painted it.

Added to it.

Et voila.

Next day's clothes are getting hung up here the night before. One less step to worry about in the morning.


2. Cleaned out my nast-asty junk cabinet (yes I have a full cabinet o' crap). I can't tell you how many days I've searched for a pencil to get homework done in vain.

Oh wait. Yes I can. It was every single school day.

Notice that I have put these up high so little hands cannot reach. Want 'em to stay here.
Be advised that this shelf is directly below the shelf that holds other "unreachables". Like every.single.one. of my knives. Oh, and sharpies. Oh, and matches.

I think I might need a few more pencils. You know, just in case. (got three extra packages of #2's).

And no, children, you may not use my freakin' pumper pencils. Those are mine. You guys break all the lead for kicks and giggles.

Saved some cans, used these:


as some cool, vintage-y labels (don't you want to cover your cans with these cool, free labels? Oh wait, that didn't come out right).

And there we are. Everything I need for homework hell time. 2 steps closer to a less chaotic school year.

16 comments:

cranberry cottage said...

Those pencils would never never last even a week....I find them anywhere and everywhere except when I need them....dang kids, screw organization it just makes it easier for them to run away with the stuff.

Nice labels....nice idea, hope it works at your house....and why are you already thinking of school?? Heck it is still JUlY.

gina3 said...

Looks great! In my house, it will last about a week...and I only have one kiddo.

Layne Bushell said...

love the can labels! thanks for the use of your corner today!

WhettenWild said...

oooh, I need one of those clothes hanger thingys...except with 6 hangers. That rocks!

chris w said...

That clothes hanger is such a great idea - and I LOVE the labels.
We are so on the same page. I think I'm one of the few people in the whole city who asked for afternoon kindergarten. I actually got a double take from the secretary. What's wrong with people...wanting to get up early? Sheesh!

Tempest Ahoy said...

Love the labels.

Emily said...

I love those cans. They are way cute! don't worry I am a late riser too. I would be totally excited for school to start later.

Rebecca D said...

If it makes you feel better think of me on those hard mornings...

I have a teenage girl(definition: takes 2 hours to get ready to go to Wal-Mart with three emotional breakdowns and two "I'm fat" declarations...) who is used to homeschooling (definition: sleeps at least until 9 AM daily for the last 3 years) going back to public school this year (definition: she just found out we have to leave the house by 6:45). No amount of cute hooks (they were by the way) or vintage pencil cups will make our morning anything less then... Well, you get it...

Anny said...

Get Dressed is so funny! I bet your kids didn't have any problems transitioning to kindergarten where everything is labelled :D

These magical shelves of forbidden items sounds mighty tempting - even to me!

Renee said...

That pork & beans eye is pretty creepy! lol... Way to get organized! I tried that too, once. I got a 5 shelf thingy from Ikea that hangs in the closet, for me to lay out the clothes a week at a time...ya...it's still hanging there! :)

Spencer & Lorilyn Crum said...

Coat hanger is hilarious/amazing.

Lori @ In Pursuit of Martha Points said...

I am missing something - the two pictures of the school supplies look the same?

I am tired from camping and have had only one cup of coffee but I feel like something subtle and very interesting is escaping me.

I hate when that happens.

dena4kids said...

I don't even want to start to think of school.sigh. I will be here before you know it!

RJ @ A Life Designed said...

Those clothes hooks are a great idea! And love the tin labels... so fun!

Teri said...

Love it! Almost time to start getting myself into school mode, too. A little supply station would definitely help...as well as a place to hang my clothes! Apparently, I have the organizational capacity of a 1st grader. Such is life. Thank goodness I have you here to inspire me! :)

Audra said...

Love these labels. Only problem is... I would forget to save the cans or my hubby would think I forgot to toss them and be a sweetie and toss them in the garbage or...I would do half of them and loose inspiration.

That is why I love visiting your blog...you inspire and also make me realize I still have yet to accomplish one major "ahem" minor project. Maybe after the move,eh?